LG Flatron M227WD - 1080p TV/Monitor mini review

Associate
Similar to the LG M2394D 23" sold at OcUK, the M227WD offers a full 16:9, 1920x1080 resolution but in a compact 22" display. It sports some of the best connectivity options available that are usually reserved for the larger more expensive products, shown here below.

lg1.png

List of connections:
D-Sub VGA
DVI-D
Composite
S-Video
Component
2x Scart
2x HDMI
CI Card
RCA
3.5mm Audio jack

Outputs:
3.5mm Headphone/Speaker
Optical audio

The M227WD also features a DVB tuner for digital freeview and radio stations. Automatic tuning is very straightforward, select your language and timezone and the tuner scans for any available DTV and Radio signals. The graphical menu makes the M227WD a delight to setup. There are a vast amount of picture and audio settings available such as the 'gaming mode' display setting, backlight adjustment and a list of pre-set sound configurations.

settingsc.png

A common problem with smaller sets is with their sound quality. Unfortunately the M227WD isn't much of an exception. The built in 3W speakers are adequate but lack any base or depth. Thanfully, the audio output enables you to connect your existing speakers, giving you full control over the volume with the remote.

Furthermore, if using the screen as a PC monitor, the 3.5mm audio input allows you to play your PC audio through the TV and out of any external speakers connected via the output jack. This feature is extremely handy, allowing you to mute and change the volume from your PC with the LG remote.

lg3.png

The panel itself is fantastic. Many LCD owners using an ATI or NVidia card will be aware of the 'Saturation' and 'Digital Vibrance' control for enhancing dull displays. This on the other hand needed little to no amendments in the settings to get the best picture. Colours are sharp and vivid, the brightness is superb and has a very clean look.

The screen has a standard contrast of 1000:1, this is further improved with a dynamic contrast of 20,000:1; capable of improving the depth of darker shades.

The TV has a glossy black finish which in a dusty environment may require a little extra cleaning; a small price to pay for such a beautiful design. The bottom of the TV is completed with a 'wine red' panel, an eye catching contrast against the black.

lg4.png

Overall this is a tremendous TV monitor and with a price tag of less than £200, incredible value for money. All this and piece of mind knowing its made by a quality manufacturer.

~elpedro

Last edited:
Soldato
thanks for the review mine is beeing delivered friday :)

can the screen support the full 1920x1080 via HDMI ?
I have HDMI out on my graphics card.

I'm also going to connect my Xbox360 via component so hopefuly this will look nice.

whats the built in freeview picture like ?

some people have said 22" is to small for a 1920x1200 res ?
i will be sitting 1ft away from the screen.

Associate
OP
thanks for the review mine is beeing delivered friday :)

can the screen support the full 1920x1080 via HDMI ?
I have HDMI out on my graphics card.

I'm also going to connect my Xbox360 via component so hopefuly this will look nice.

whats the built in freeview picture like ?

some people have said 22" is to small for a 1920x1200 res ?
i will be sitting 1ft away from the screen.

Yes, 1920x1080 is supported via HDMI although not in PC mode. If you want to use your PC, you should use the DVI or VGA connection (comes with VGA cable).

I take it you have the older Xbox, if not, there are two HDMI connections.

The TV picture is perfect, like I mentioned, loads of settings for you to play with to get it looking how you want.

22" is definately not too small, ideal for a PC monitor and for use as a small TV.

Soldato
Yes, 1920x1080 is supported via HDMI although not in PC mode. If you want to use your PC, you should use the DVI or VGA connection (comes with VGA cable).

I take it you have the older Xbox, if not, there are two HDMI connections.

The TV picture is perfect, like I mentioned, loads of settings for you to play with to get it looking how you want.

22" is definately not too small, ideal for a PC monitor and for use as a small TV.

ok thanks.
my xbox360 has hdmi out so i will use that.
i wonder if the pc would look better via vga or dvi.

i have a dvi to vga adaptor but do i lose quality that way ?

im coming from a 26" samsung tv (vga 1360x768) so i hope i get used to the smaller screen lol.

Associate
OP
ok thanks.
my xbox360 has hdmi out so i will use that.
i wonder if the pc would look better via vga or dvi.

i have a dvi to vga adaptor but do i lose quality that way ?

im coming from a 26" samsung tv (vga 1360x768) so i hope i get used to the smaller screen lol.

Definately use HDMI for you 360. As for the PC, DVI is a superior connection to VGA. DVI is a digital video signal whereas VGA is analogue.

Associate
I'm thinking about getting one of these, can anyone show me a photo of it with an Xbox 360 plugged in? (preferably at 1080p through HDMI)

Does anyone know if both Scarts support RGB? Every TV with 2 Scarts I have come across has only supported RGB in one of them... which seems really stupid to me.

Oh and if anyone knows the cheapest place to buy one that would be great too, seems strange that OcUK doesn't have them but has other LG monitors.

Edit: Before I forget, is there a difference between this and the LG M227WD-PZ?

Last edited:
Associate
Just incase anyone is interested the cheapest place to buy one of these seems to be from Oyyy

This thread seems to have died, there are still a few unanswered questions in previous posts if someone would be kind enough to answer them :)

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
The connectivity on this looks ridiculous for the price.
Have you been able to test all of them?

might very well chnage from my hp w2207, seems to have held its value relatively well and would cover majority of the cost of one of these.

Built in speakers any good? lol

Was really looking at a 24" but not seen one with this amount of connectivity in the same price bracket

Last edited:
Associate
Very pleased

Mine arrived yesterday, bought from the largest river in the world. If OC sold it I would have bought it from them as I like the company but hey ..

Going from an OC 24" Digimate ( with VA panel ) to this I was a bit unsure if I'd done the right thing but it is excellent. All the inputs you could wish for and the built-in DTV tuner is very good. I have mine connected via optical out to my TC Konnekt 48 and KRK VXT6 monitors. I used to have a USB TV stick to show TV on the Digimate but this is MUCH better. Picture quality is good if you sit 2 - 3 metres away. Blu-Ray from my laptop via HDMI looks stunning. Xbox running at 720P or 1080P looks stunning( HDMI ). rFactor at 1920x1080 maxed out from pc via DVI looks stunning . On my OC Digimate 24" screen it looked really good but the LG looks 3D and refresh rate is much better .

Perfect for the bedroom , really can't recommend enough :D

Associate
OP
How are the vertical viewing angles mate? Do you know what type of panel it is? Looking at getting the 27" version...

I lie on my bed at the back of my room watching TV and sit right up close when I'm on the PC and have no problems viewing it from either angle/distance. The stand does tilt also.

The connectivity on this looks ridiculous for the price.
Have you been able to test all of them?

might very well chnage from my hp w2207, seems to have held its value relatively well and would cover majority of the cost of one of these.

Built in speakers any good? lol

I have used the HDMI, DVI and RGB inputs along with the audio in for my 2:1 speakers, no problems at all.

The inbuilt speakers are acceptable for a small TV with plenty of audio options to fiddle with. Personally, I've hooked up my wall mounted Logis. Because the audio is going through the TV, you can adjust volume with the remote and don't need to use the speaker's adjustment.

Similarly, I'm using the audio in on the TV for my PC, so when I'm running DVI, the audio through the speakers is from my PC, then when you switch to DTV, it swaps to the TV audio. ;)

Mine arrived yesterday, bought from the largest river in the world. If OC sold it I would have bought it from them as I like the company but hey ..
Perfect for the bedroom , really can't recommend enough :D

I'm the same as this guy, shame OcUK didn't stock this. Picked mine up for £198 inc delivery online. Insane price for such quality. I had the older LG 22LS4D before this one, the improvements LG have made are astonishing whilst keeping the price down!

One thing about this for the gamer, with it being only 22" and full 1080p, you can get away with less anti-aliasing with the pixels being that bit smaller so jaggies are far less noticeable. Colours are out of this world, you sometimes want to pick stuff out of the screen it looks that good :D

Associate
Hey guys thanks for all the info im a bit of a novice on this was debating on whether to get this tv - this seems to have swayed me but i came accross this model the LG M2294D is it practically the same? im kinda unsure which one to go for as they are the same price - help guys!

Associate
hi, would this sit nice and flush next to a W2261V, thinking of maybe getting the W2261V for main screen as quicker responce time and the M227WD as 2nd screen and running my 360 and wii through it.
They look the same height and style, just this one drops more in the center for the speaker.

Associate
Hey guys thanks for all the info im a bit of a novice on this was debating on whether to get this tv - this seems to have swayed me but i came accross this model the LG M2294D is it practically the same? im kinda unsure which one to go for as they are the same price - help guys!

the M2294D has a res of 1680x1050 where as the one in this topic has a 1080p 1920x1080 Res

Back
Top Bottom