airband radios, scanners

Soldato
just got an old airband radio maybe 70s or 80s for a couple of quid from the charity shop ,as i used to have one a very long time ago just wondering if planes still broadcast on the same frequencys on vhf (as say 25years ago) and what about uhf ?

Transmission breaker
Don
Scuzi!!

When i listen on my scanner, i only get half of the convo. Is that because the radio switches between different frequencies for incoming and outgoing messages, or is it simply a signal strength issue? I am not close enough to hear the base signal?

Man of Honour
Scuzi!!

When i listen on my scanner, i only get half of the convo. Is that because the radio switches between different frequencies for incoming and outgoing messages, or is it simply a signal strength issue? I am not close enough to hear the base signal?

You'll get the aircraft because they're above you and there will generally be a line of sight between your radio and them. A lot of the time you won't get the transmissions from the ATC tower or centre because they transmit from ground based transmitters and the line between you and them will be blocked by buildings, high ground and a lot of interference.
If you go to an open area or some higher ground you should get the whole conversation.

Permabanned
haven't touched a scanner since the good old days when you could listen in too peoples mobile phone conversations, now those really were good times.

yeah my uncle had one of them and it was amazing.

I think his one was for mobiles or it could have been for house home phones.

But it was amazing!! could listen to so much stuff lol!

I guess the reason why this doesnt work anymore is because they changed the normal signals over.

there must be some devices around which you can still do the same, not legal tho.

Transmission breaker
Don
You'll get the aircraft because they're above you and there will generally be a line of sight between your radio and them. A lot of the time you won't get the transmissions from the ATC tower or centre because they transmit from ground based transmitters and the line between you and them will be blocked by buildings, high ground and a lot of interference.
If you go to an open area or some higher ground you should get the whole conversation.

Wicked, I thought as much :)

I am in the Reading area, so get a lot of Heathrow traffic.

Back
Top Bottom