Inexpensive used sports cars in the US

Associate
Hi,

I recently moved to NYC - I really miss driving just to unwind I sold my 330ci when I came over.

I am not sure if it's just me but used cars seem a lot more expensive here - I am looking for something 0-60 in 6 secs for less than 12000 USD. Jap coupe or bmw say

In the Uk I'd be scouring pistonheads and autotrader anyone have any idea on where to look here. Googling hasn't got me far - so any help appreciated.

Cheers TIA

Jt

Permabanned
I have looked into this, and the American car market seems a complete mystery to me. Craigslist and other amateur websites with very little organisation, controls or moderation seem to be popular which makes looking for 2nd hand cars rather hellish.

Associate
OP
Thanks - Glad you said I felt quite stupid asking the question. Everything I have seen so far seems overpriced vs UK equivs

Jt

Soldato
just moved to Canada and some of the prices are crazy. Moon milage 92 hondas going for $3k.

I want to buy a Ford Police Interceptor but only seen 2 so far.

Caporegime
Surely import has got a lot to do with it. Plus do they not have really strict laws on emissions so most of the powerful stuff is a lot less then it is here. Tbh we are very lucky as a country for cars. We are in europe for starters so have a lot more selection and because our cars are right hand drive we get a lot more goodies from Japan.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies - I just thought for a nation that can't seem to do without cars there would be a lot of old surplus inventory.

Going to keep looking refuse to believe there went people desperate to sell

Jt

Permabanned
I'm fairly confident its a completely different market. Don't go looking into it with any remembrance of how any other market works. Trucks are ridiculously possible for a start, I don't understand it but it was explained to me that most guys in some areas would rather a truck than a car!

Soldato
Hi,

I recently moved to NYC - I really miss driving just to unwind I sold my 330ci when I came over.

I am not sure if it's just me but used cars seem a lot more expensive here - I am looking for something 0-60 in 6 secs for less than 12000 USD. Jap coupe or bmw say

In the Uk I'd be scouring pistonheads and autotrader anyone have any idea on where to look here. Googling hasn't got me far - so any help appreciated.

Cheers TIA

Jt

Go south to FL were the tax is only about 6.5% make sure the car was
regged in FL and stayed there that means no nasty salt or grit getting at the body work.
Then tag it and drive it back to NY..
its only 24hour drive :) and fun doing it

I got my daughter a 1998 Lincon Mark VIII 4.6L V8 for £350 perfect condition.

look in the st petes news if I was you.

here you a Vett http://307.carsite.com/index.cfm?page=4&inventory_id=2852323&referrer=searchResults&noSkin=0

Last edited:
Soldato
Niceee. But how many BHP does it kick out? I bet it has about 150bhp and does about 15mpg :p

The 4.6 L V8 produced 280 hp (209 kW) @ 5500 rpm and 285 lb·ft (386 N·m) of torque @ 4500 rpm

Its what they call a Personal luxury car ;)
and boy when you floor it the roar from the V8 is so cool.
But my daughter is in UNI here so it dont get used :(

Associate
OP
How did I end up out here - company transfered me out here, made sense to go where the opportunities are.

Geez - that buy 3 boxters get one free or something? 150k I'd expect a 911 turbo

Yep eBay probably going to have to do will checknout listings at work ( browsing the net driving me crazy on iphone :) getting cable installed at least tonight)

Shame there isn't an equiv of pistonheads- prefer buying from people who into/look after there cars

Jt

Associate
OP
So I can get out of the city - beach in the summer, skiing in the winter.

Decided to hire a corvette for a couple of days end of may while I decide only 166usd a day with hertz

Back
Top Bottom