Linux variant for commercial use

Soldato
Been asked to find out if feasible to use a Linux variant to deliver Citrix apps @ work. So essentially does anyone know definitively of any suitable variants that have no licensing constraints for commercial use?

Soldato
What Billy said,

Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) is the best non-free linux distribution by FAR.

Though just about to check out OpenSuse Enterprise Desktop edition this weekend, will try to pop in here and tell you if it's any good

Soldato
Been asked to find out if feasible to use a Linux variant to deliver Citrix apps @ work. So essentially does anyone know definitively of any suitable variants that have no licensing constraints for commercial use?

Deliver Citrix apps ?!?

As in Windows apps to thin clients ?

I must be not understanding the question ?

Soldato
Also, bear in mind that for commercial use you'll want support, and that's never free. The cost of running stuff is more than just the cost of licenses. But check with Citrix as to what underlying OS is supported.

Soldato
OP
cheers guys, checking with Citrix must be a no brainer, we would just want a no frills install that would take the Citrix client, on thinking about it more maybe a config/backend that supported imaging would be worth considering too. We are essentially trying to use older PCs till they die then replace as many as poss with thin client devices, we are using HP 5135/5145 atm but tbh they are a bit flaky, dabbled with Altiris to push images etc but its a nightmare.

Soldato
cheers guys, checking with Citrix must be a no brainer, we would just want a no frills install that would take the Citrix client, on thinking about it more maybe a config/backend that supported imaging would be worth considering too. We are essentially trying to use older PCs till they die then replace as many as poss with thin client devices, we are using HP 5135/5145 atm but tbh they are a bit flaky, dabbled with Altiris to push images etc but its a nightmare.

Why not use them as thin clients, run VM's on your server hardware and get your clients to use some sort of VNC type software to connect to them. Not a big fan of Citrix software to be honest, tends to be really unreliable in my experience :mad:

Soldato
OP
Why not use them as thin clients, run VM's on your server hardware and get your clients to use some sort of VNC type software to connect to them. Not a big fan of Citrix software to be honest, tends to be really unreliable in my experience :mad:

we already have substantial Citrix investment/infrastructure so kinda need to use it lol, we are also currently struggling to get a method of remotely administering/imaging the HP devices without getting totally mental about implementing resources at the various sites which in itself may be higher TCO than re-imaging/configuring flaky HP devices via sneaker net :(

Soldato
yeah exactly that, via Citrix client running on the linux OS, essentially to save on anti-virus/necessary infrastructure to support Msoft OS updates etc

OIC the clients, thought you meant the server end for some reason.

Lots of terminal devices run embedded Linux.

Soldato
OP
OIC the clients, thought you meant the server end for some reason.

Lots of terminal devices run embedded Linux.

yes we have HP t5135/5145s which seem to be a bit flaky, looking at using PCs which curently run Msoft with ICA client to have Linux as OS just really to facilitate ICA connection, ultimately as the PCs die they get replaced with dedicated thin client devices such as the HP devices mentioned, though we are looking at getting some 'Axel' Link on eval as we have read some decent reports on these, decent gfx on the higher spec ones.

Soldato
OP
Managed to get this up and running, pretty good, now I want to modify the partitioning............ anyways the thinstation config is such that the boot partition is FAT (syslinux), I want to change this partition to ext2, anyways I think what I am saying is how to create an ext2 partition and make it bootable?

Soldato
I know very little about Thin Clients. However, if you are using HP ThinConnect it's basically Debian Linux with ICA client software. From my limited knowledge...

Associate
Managed to get this up and running, pretty good, now I want to modify the partitioning............ anyways the thinstation config is such that the boot partition is FAT (syslinux), I want to change this partition to ext2, anyways I think what I am saying is how to create an ext2 partition and make it bootable?
I'm pretty sure it's not possible to convert FAT to ext2. They are not compatible with each other so you would need to actually format the drive.

I don't understand what you mean when you say bootable? What bootloader are you using? If you are using GRUB then ext2 and ext3 are both readable.

Soldato
OP
I'm pretty sure it's not possible to convert FAT to ext2. They are not compatible with each other so you would need to actually format the drive.

I don't understand what you mean when you say bootable? What bootloader are you using? If you are using GRUB then ext2 and ext3 are both readable.

yeah sorry my post was clear as mud, I followed a guide on Thinstation which built it on a fat partition with syslinux booting it (I think), now after thinking about it I would prefer the boot partition with the OS files etc on it to be ext2 as it wont be available to the users to srew up if they have client drive access via their Citrix environment (delivered by the ICA client running on thinstation), ideally I hope to create a smal ext2 partition that boots into thinstation and have a fat partition that will allow users to have a little local storage on the local hdd from their Citrix environment (some users may require this for various usually spurious reasons). I know this will probably be relatively simple but its a few years since I dabbled in Linux, I kinda hoped someone would save me some turgid trawling through books n tinterweb to get me to where I want to be ;), so, essentially I have a fully working/configured/tweaked instance of thinstation but its sitting on a FAT partition that I want to transfer to an ext2 partition if that is at all possible.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not familiar with citrix myself, maybe there is a need for it to be running on FAT - I don't know.

What I would do for a test is make a new partition and create an ext2 (tbh I would chose ext3, any reason you want ext2?), mount it under /dump, copy all the stuff from the FAT partition to it, unmount the FAT partition (obviously stopping all the citrix services first), unmount the ext2/3 partition and then remount it as whatever the citrix partition was mounted as.

Maybe it will work, maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom