Rum recommendations?

Associate
If you are after a nice tasting cheaper bottle of dark rum, and having sampled many different varieties I can honestly say that for the price Sainsbury's own brand Dark Rum is extremely good value and will save you up to £5 per litre on the branded names. A close second is Tescos own brand dark rum also but for the same price Sainsburys is the better of the two.

Soldato
A little off topic, But when I was down in Cornwall my friend gave me some rum, Fruit Rum, it was in a black bottle, and it was so nice, it didnt taste alcoholic atall, but it made your belly warm so you could tell it was. I've proper craved it since, Any ideas of what it could have been? Or have i just described about 90 rum variations :D It was extrememly sweet

Last edited:
Associate
I live these two:

Mount Gay Extra Old :D

Cockspur Old Gold :D

both from Barbados, best served with ginger ale, lime and ice and a scrape of nutmeg on the top (or neat) ....preferably while settling down to watch the sun set over the Caribbean :cool::cool::D:D

Soldato
Sailor Jerry is great - with coke and lime it really tastes like you're drinking Cherry Cola.

Asda were out of their own brand bourbon last night so I stumped for a bottle of Captain Morgan original rum. Not as sweet as other rums I've tried - quite a bit more bitter, with a strong sultana finish. Nice enough, but I do prefer my whiskies.

Associate
My personal favourite is Angostura 1919- I don't drink an awful lot of rum, but I find that this is really easy going. My dad brought me some back from Trinidad when he did some work there a few years ago, and since I have been slightly hooked, though I don't seem to see it in shops so much sadly.

Associate
I'm a bit biased when it comes to Rum but in my opinion there is only one Rum ......and that is Pussers Ru, brewed in Tortola British Virgin Isles by Oliver Tobias and by far the best is 15 year old pussers rum

Description:
The superb rum in this bottle has not only been aged in wood for 15 years, but has also been distilled in wood.

It is the world's only rum, or for that matter the world's only spirit, that is still distilled in wood using the old, inefiicient, handcrafted way in opposition to the modern method that employs semi-automatic metal column distillation.

For 330 years from about 1640 until July 31st, 1970, Great Britain's Royal Navy issued a daily rum ration to the sailors on board its ships. The daily ration was known as a tot, and its issue and the ritual that went with it was one of the longest and unbroken traditions in the history of the sea.

The rum used was a special rum called Navy or Admiralty Rum, or Pussers. Pussers being a corruption of the word pirser, after the officer in charge of the ship's supplies. Pussers Navy Rum today is the identical rum that was issued in the Royal Navy right up until the time of the custom's termination on July 31st, 1970. Pussers is known for both its colourful history and its rich flavour. It was never sold or available to the public until 1979. If a connoiseur obtained a tot or two, he valued it for a very special occasion because there was nothing else like it.

The Pussers 15 year old is exceptional and equivalent to the finest cognac or brandy in every way. Interestingly, at the end of 15 years of aging in wood, only about 7% of the original rum remains in the barrel. the balance will have evaporated into the air. Thus it toof the equivalent of about 16 bottles of rum to produce this single bottle of 15 year old Pussers!

This rum is truly for sipping, as you would a fine cognac. It is best enjoyed slighlty chilled at about 13C to 16C or 55F to 60F.

Producer: Pussers - www.pussers.com
ABV: 40%
Country of Origin: British Virgin Islands

http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=3319
source: -

Soldato
Its all about the Havana Club.

Especial or 7 for cocktails. Not cheap but very nice.

Saw the Barrel Proof in a bar in Leeds the other day, was quite suprised by that. Still haven't seen any 15 year or Maximo around, not that I could afford the latter :o

Soldato

A nice, succinct, answer - thank you. :D

Only reason I asked was that ASDA are doing it for a tenner a bottle at the mo. I'll avoid it.

Just finished a bottle of Captain Morgan original rum - it was OK, but nothing amazing - prefer the Spiced myself, but really can't drink too much of it.

No Sailor Jerry on show at all in ASDA which annoyed me.

They had Cockburn's (or Cockspur, can't remember) - that nice?

Back
Top Bottom