Is Obama really change? Or more of the same?

Permabanned

This is Rachel Maddow she states in this clip...Obama is stating that he'll keep people in detention because they MIGHT commit crimes in the future.

Preventive detention concerns imprisonment either without justification (the prisoner is not told the grounds for the arrest) or waiting for trial.

In most democracies, no one can be arrested without being told the grounds for such an arrest, except under rare and special circumstances (usually anti-terrorism legislation). An arrested citizen has to be brought before the nearest magistrate within a certain amount of time. The arrested person has the right to defend himself by a lawyer of his choice. Depending on the laws, this lawyer can be called for as soon as the detention starts, or sometimes days or weeks later.

However, there is an exception to this general provision. Under preventive detention, the government can imprison a person for some time. It means that if the government feels that a person being at liberty can be a threat to the law and order or the unity and integrity of the nation, it can detain or arrest that person to prevent him from doing this possible harm.

Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preventive_detention

President Obama’s proposal for a new legal system in which terrorism suspects could be held in “prolonged detention” inside the United States without trial would be a departure from the way this country sees itself, as a place where people in the grip of the government either face criminal charges or walk free.

Mr. Obama has so far provided few details of his proposed system beyond saying it would be subject to oversight by Congress and the courts. Whether it would be constitutional, several of the legal experts said in interviews, would most likely depend on the fairness of any such review procedures.

Ultimately, they suggested, the question of constitutionality would involve a national look in the mirror: Is this what America does?

“In our constitutional system,” Mr. Obama said, “prolonged detention should not be the decision of any one man.”

But Mr. Obama’s critics say his proposal is Bush redux.

Mr. Obama’s proposal, Professor Hakimi said, appears to be “an aggressive approach that is not commonly taken in other Western developed countries.”

In a letter to the president on Friday, Senator Russ Feingold, Democrat of Wisconsin, said he was not sure Mr. Obama’s idea would prove constitutional, and added that “such detention is a hallmark of abusive systems that we have historically criticized around the world.”

Source - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/23/us/politics/23detain.html?_r=1&hp

So now it starts, he pretends things will change, yet as you can clearly see here, things aren't.

Soldato
You know he has almost 4 more years in office? atleast. Can you conspiracy tards atleast judge him when hes done with his term rather than trying to pre-emptively pick apart things you have no clue about?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ridiculous. As the reporter says with some unnecessary personal opinion, the speech was hypocritical.

I bet Fox News is still laying into Obama for doing what they want though. I'm not sure on MSNBC's reputation or slant, but I do agree with the analysis.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Well, first off, all politicians lie to get into office. They will tell you what you want to hear and what they can reasonably get away with saying.

Second, its very possible that Obama has realized how things really are. He has more information about theses things than any one of us, or all of us combined, so I think he is in the position to make the best decisions for the country he is running.

Soldato
Obama is a puppet just like every other president has been with the exception of JFK and we all know what happened to him.

Soldato
So how did JFK manage to get into office if he wasn't someone's puppet?

If Obama was to be shot tomorrow, he and his merry band of morons would never believe it was anything but the lizardmen who were behind it and 50 years from now some kid on a forum would be posting the exact same thing he just did only fill in the current president and exchange "JFK" for "Obama"... all of their fantasy world is extremely interchangeable with regards to the "facts"

Soldato
So how did JFK manage to get into office if he wasn't someone's puppet?

When JFK became president he was suppose be a good puppet, but he started acting on his own intiative for the general good. He started to cut the millitary industrial complex and also was bring in motions to close down the federal reserve. He never lived to fullfill either though.

Caporegime
When JFK became president he was suppose be a good puppet, but he started acting on his own intiative for the general good. He started to cut the millitary industrial complex and also was bring in motions to close down the federal reserve. He never lived to fullfill either though.

I see. Did Abraham Lincoln do the same? James Garfield? William McKinley? What about all the other presidents subject to assassination attempts? What about George Bush getting shoes thrown at his head?

Soldato
I see. Did Abraham Lincoln do the same? James Garfield? William McKinley? What about all the other presidents subject to assassination attempts? What about George Bush getting shoes thrown at his head?

If I remember rightly Abraham Lincoln was trying to prevent the setting up a central bank in the US. Not to sure about the other two.

There was a very long slient war in america up until 1913 between central bankers and the white house. Watch 'The Money Masters'

Associate
Meh. At least he is candid about it. Our politicians pretend to be politically correct all the time and it winds me up. At least you know where you stand in that country. Just don't act like a terrorist and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom