800MHz or 1066MHz ram? AM2+

Soldato
Hey guys. I'm the happy owner of a 7750BE with crap motherboard. Having never owned an amd desktop before I'm a bit lost. It runs at a base frequency of 200, so 200x4=800mhz or 200x5=1000mhz look good without overclocking the ram, which I think the board will do a poor job of.
Obviously I'm new to clocking these, while increasing base frequency is probably best for performance I don't think the board will do it. So I thought I'd ask which speed ram is sensible.

A limitation of the chipset appears to be 4-4-4 at 800mhz or 5-5-5 at 1066mhz, so tighter timings at the higher speed don't look likely. Also looks like high voltages through ram can damage the processor so I'm reluctant to overvolt the ram, suggesting 1.8V 800mhz is sensible.

So guys, which speed do I want? Obviously I'd like higher performance, so I guess I'm asking if the difference between the two speed will be significant. Cheers

Soldato
OP
Then I haven't worked out the amd system after all. Damn.

I believe the base frequency on this system is 200mhz. The processor runs at this x13.5, ram at some multiple of 200. Does this mean that 5.33 is a valid multiple for the ram? I thought it was only integer multiples, but not can't find a source for this.

Thanks Jack

Associate
Hey guys. I'm the happy owner of a 7750BE with crap motherboard. Having never owned an amd desktop before I'm a bit lost. It runs at a base frequency of 200, so 200x4=800mhz or 200x5=1000mhz look good without overclocking the ram, which I think the board will do a poor job of.
Obviously I'm new to clocking these, while increasing base frequency is probably best for performance I don't think the board will do it. So I thought I'd ask which speed ram is sensible.

A limitation of the chipset appears to be 4-4-4 at 800mhz or 5-5-5 at 1066mhz, so tighter timings at the higher speed don't look likely. Also looks like high voltages through ram can damage the processor so I'm reluctant to overvolt the ram, suggesting 1.8V 800mhz is sensible.

So guys, which speed do I want? Obviously I'd like higher performance, so I guess I'm asking if the difference between the two speed will be significant. Cheers

Overclock on the multiplier, the cpu is unlocked.
I have the 7850 BE(stock is x14)upped to x15 that gives 3GHz.
Ram is is regular 800mhz @2.2v
4-4-4-15
nothing else has been changed.

Back
Top Bottom