N97 Being released soon (Anyone know of O2 Tarrif/Handset prices?)

Soldato
Iv had an e-mail saying the N97 will soon be available to pre-order.

Does anyone know of any tarrif/handset prices floating about yet on O2?

Soldato
It's officially released on 19th June with operator variants following on 26th June. If 02 are carrying it, I guess you should expect it around 26th June then.

Associate
Considering there recent prices on anything half decent it will be free on £75 per month tariffs only :(

If your with them already retentions should be able to knock it down to a more reasonable price.

I really don't get o2 atm, it seems like they aren't bothered attracting new customers anymore apart from the iphone crowd.

Soldato
I'd expect it to be around the price of the N96, since they're reasonable matched SIM free.

I've just been to O2's website and all I can say is holy ****! :eek: £225.09 for the N96 on a £30pm two year contract? That's insane. What's happened to O2? :(

Caporegime
I'd expect it to be around the price of the N96, since they're reasonable matched SIM free.

I've just been to O2's website and all I can say is holy ****! :eek: £225.09 for the N96 on a £30pm two year contract? That's insane. What's happened to O2? :(

the phone is worth £500 though, so basically your getting £300 off

Associate
Aye but mobiles.co.uk do it for free on 24month £30 per month contract plus throw in 7 months half price on o2 lol

o2 direct is really crap these days, they do decent retentions deals but horrid deals for new customers.

Edit: If you have the "clearance" N96 from there its available on £25 per month 18month contract for free.

Last edited:
Soldato
The UK is turning into the US - whats with all these 2 year contracts! Im still on a 12 month and refuse to budge. A phone certainly wont last that long (techwise).

Id hold off a month on the N97, see what the reviews are like, allow for a bug update and the premium to go.

Associate
£45 per month for the N97 on 18 months with free handset, not everyone is fussed about replacing there phones regular.

I know some people who happily use the same phone for years, tbh if I wasn't on contract I wouldn't change phones for a few years, I always struggle at upgrade times to find phones that make me think "wow".

Caporegime
changing your phone every year is US style marketing to dupe into everyone to spending their money when they dont need to.

you dont need to buy a new phone every year.

you dont need to buy a new car every 3 years.

you dont need to buy a new pc every year.

its all marketing being drummed into you that you need to. some people keep the same phone for 4 years. as long as it makes calls what does it matter. no wonder we are currently in a recession. idiots couldnt afford their mortgages because they were too busy buying new phones and flat screen tv's every year, when their old ones would have worked fine. you dont need an upgrade every year. think of the money you could save by switching to pay as you go or a line rental only contract and keeping your old phone, keeping your old tv, keeping your old car, etc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Of course you dont need to. I want to, I like the latest technology, as I suspect a lot of people on here would. Not sure what you are trying to tell anyone - you come across needlessly a touch patronising..!

well new phones are expensive, especially when you are going for a top of the range model. so if you "want" a new phone then you "have to" pay top dollar. just trying to give you a fresh perspective. the only reason you want to is because of marketing telling people they need to update their phones every year. do you want to buy a new lawn mower every year too? no. im just saying that maybe some people would be better off upgrading once every 2 years. to save them some money since the economy is so poor right now. last week 800 people got told they were being sacked at my workplace. so for some it may be better to save than spend money needlessly because their contract is up

Associate
[/QUOTE] Id hold off a month on the N97, see what the reviews are like, allow for a bug update and the premium to go.[/QUOTE]

Me to mate, my upgrades due with o2 in august by which time ill be able to wangle a good deal i hope, they made me budge to the 18 months contract last year t****!

Soldato
the only reason you want to is because of marketing telling people they need to update their phones every year.

Sorry but I simply don't agree with you on that point, I've not been told be anyone that I need to upgrade every year, and other people upgrading certainly doesn't make me feel the need to.

The reason I like to upgrade my phone when possible is that I like new technology, which I guess a lot of people on this board do. New phones bring new features, some which will enhance my usage of a phone, and some much are just cool/improvements on previous phones.
Sure, I could easily carry on using my current phone until it dies, but that's just not what I like to do.

Caporegime
Sorry but I simply don't agree with you on that point, I've not been told be anyone that I need to upgrade every year, and other people upgrading certainly doesn't make me feel the need to.

The reason I like to upgrade my phone when possible is that I like new technology, which I guess a lot of people on this board do. New phones bring new features, some which will enhance my usage of a phone, and some much are just cool/improvements on previous phones.
Sure, I could easily carry on using my current phone until it dies, but that's just not what I like to do.

thats because you have been led to believe that is not what you would like to do

thats why they bring a new phone out every 3-4 months because they know people want the latest all the time because they have been brought up from a young age to consume everything and throw it away rather than keeping. im just making a point that nobody really needs a new phone every year but they get one anyway. tell me why would someone buy the same thing every year that they didnt need? do you upgrade your house phone every year? you do know they have new technology improvements on them too. colour screens. text messaging, ringtones, skype, etc.

thats why these companies have made billions in a very short space of time, which has took other companies that sell tv's for example, decades to do.

even students have the newest latest phone every year, then they complain about being skint.

im just saying that people who do get a new phone every year then complain how much they cost should maybe look into it in more detail, rather than being a sheep and following everyone else.

I own an N96 by the way and wish i had got a blackberry instead now, but rather than go out and get a blackberry which i could easily afford im going to use this phone for at least another 18 months (had it 6 months already) then get a blackberry (and im not tied to any contracts, i bought the phone sim free from nokia.com)

Soldato
well new phones are expensive, especially when you are going for a top of the range model. so if you "want" a new phone then you "have to" pay top dollar.

You don't have to pay O2's prices though. As pointed out, other firms are offering much better deals.

the only reason you want to is because of marketing telling people they need to update their phones every year. do you want to buy a new lawn mower every year too? no. im just saying that maybe some people would be better off upgrading once every 2 years. to save them some money since the economy is so poor right now.

Lawn mowers is a bad analogy. You don't use your lawn mower every day and lawn mower technology isn't advancing at a frightening pace. Mobile phones are evolving faster than any other mainstream consumer technology.

Here's an illustration of just how fast mobile tech is developing:

7years2.jpg

There's certainly an element of keeping up with the Jones but there's also a compelling reason to regularly upgrade when the latest mobile phones are light years ahead of their predecessors.

No-one is forcing you to upgrade. However, longer contracts can only be a bad thing for consumers. Even for people who do keep their phones for a long time, what happens if you suddenly want to work abroad or get made redundant? You're locked into a contract and therefore forced to pay a lot of money to terminate it.

Associate
But in reality your paying £700 for the phone just through the line rental;).....30 per month * 24 mths=£720.

Sim free isn't always cheaper.

Xperia X1 wasn't much cheaper than the N97 and not long after release a few people were getting them for £25-30 per month through retentions on 18 month contracts, at £30 per month this works out at £540 in total, if the phone is £500 sim free I think £40 for 18 months of phonecalls is damn good!

Psycho Sonny said:
changing your phone every year is US style marketing to dupe into everyone to spending their money when they dont need to.

you dont need to buy a new phone every year.

you dont need to buy a new car every 3 years.

you dont need to buy a new pc every year.

its all marketing being drummed into you that you need to. some people keep the same phone for 4 years. as long as it makes calls what does it matter. no wonder we are currently in a recession. idiots couldnt afford their mortgages because they were too busy buying new phones and flat screen tv's every year, when their old ones would have worked fine. you dont need an upgrade every year. think of the money you could save by switching to pay as you go or a line rental only contract and keeping your old phone, keeping your old tv, keeping your old car, etc.

Usually when I upgrade I get a new handset which costs me nothing, a reduced line rental compared to previous year and am able to sell my old handset as well.

My new phone is £295 sim free, my contract over 18 months is £350, I can get £150 back on my old phone so basically I have a new phone 600mins/1000 texts and a bolt on for £200 over 18months which works out £11 per month.

On pay as you talk I was spending more than that for less minutes and was having to buy the phone on top.

So having a contract for me is actually saving me money and I get a new handset every X ammount of months.

I'd be tempted to have a discounted sim only contract but I am yet to find a phone I am 100% happy with in terms of functions, battery life and reliability.

I do agree with you on some level though, a lot of people do just upgrade because they feel they must keep up with other people, a lot of people see them more of a fashion statement or a status symbol rather than a phone.

Soldato
well new phones are expensive, especially when you are going for a top of the range model. so if you "want" a new phone then you "have to" pay top dollar. just trying to give you a fresh perspective. the only reason you want to is because of marketing telling people they need to update their phones every year. do you want to buy a new lawn mower every year too? no. im just saying that maybe some people would be better off upgrading once every 2 years. to save them some money since the economy is so poor right now. last week 800 people got told they were being sacked at my workplace. so for some it may be better to save than spend money needlessly because their contract is up

Why do you feel the need to condescend everyone with this unoriginal 'Marketing is evil' answer.. Quit the preaching!
Where did I complain about the price of top end mobiles? This is a tech forum with geek people, most people like new technology - maybe you should post your post martinsmoneysavingtips.com.;)
A 2 year contract isnt always cheaper - you are locked in for 2 years and the rates posted above seem ridiculously expensive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom