• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core i7 920 Temps?

Associate
Hi all,

Just put in my new Core i7 920 D0 and getting surprisingly high temps at stock.

This is a retail chip with the stock cooler on it.

At Stock speed, idle is ~50C and Prime95 load puts it to 87C

When I oc'd it to 3.5GHz, Prime 95 put the temps over 100C and the machine shutdown.

I took off the thermal paste on the chip and replaced with arctic silver 5, but similar sort of issues..

Is this normal sorts of temps, or am I doing something wrong here.

MB is Gigabyte UD5

Cheers!

Associate
OP
So, I re-applied the Arctic silve 5 using the instructions on their website (let the heatsink do the movement, don't scrape it over yourself) and get better values:

Stock Speed, Stock Cooler
idle: 36C
load: 72C

Huge improvement.

Still goes over 100C at 3.0GHz though :(

Associate
OP
Temps from a program called 'coretemp'. Seemed to be the one recommended around here.

I do have the speedstep stuff turned on, so it's dropping the multiplier, etc at idle.

Associate
OP
I nearly went and bought a Noctua, but i'm not convinced it will fit my case (Coolermaster ACTS ATX200).

the website says it's 158mm from top to bottom, but not sure where that measurement is from/to..

Last edited:
Associate
I've got a Noctua and my core temps are 38, 33, 38, 35.

And thats with push/pull fans on.

Hmm these are a bit higher than 27 - might need to try putting the cpu in again.

Associate
I too am running a Noctua over a D0 920. At 2.66GHz I'm getting core temps of 29-33C at idle, and 59-63C running Prime95 in CPU stress mode. I'm a little bit concerned. I followed the Noctua instructions for installing their thermal paste, but in truth I have no real idea how OCing will increase load temperatures.

I want to be able to run 3.6 - 3.8GHz, and stay close to the Intel design spec of 70C. I'll be taking a "slow & steady" approach to the overclock.

Associate
Check your vcore that may be reason for high temps my board was putting 1.3v through CPU on auto now down at 1.15v on 3.3ghz and prime 95 temps in 60s

Associate
I was only able to do 3.2 with stock cooler and even then it ran hot. The stock coolers for the i7 imo are the most rediculous pieces of junk considering how much you spend on the chips. I guess they just assume most are just going to get aftermarket coolers anyway so what's the point.

Associate
3.5gHz is a lot for the stock cooler. Remember that it's only a 2.66gHz chip - and you're trying for a 33% overclock! Talk about being ambitious.

Generally 10% with reasonable temps and 20% with it getting warm is a good range for the stock cooler, anything above 25% and you really need something aftermarket.

Fact is, the stock cooler is designed to run it at stock - as long as the chip doesn't throttle it's done it's job. It's not Intel's job to give you the tools to overclock it, that's up to you.

Associate
just a small note guys, you should be able to run a co 920, with a good cooler on 3.4ghz turbo on, at 1.20volts, and defo on a DO spec chip, just manually adjust cpu volts as auto, always overvolts, MY CO 920 ideles with a TRUE extreme @ about35 to 40 @ 3.4ghz with 1.20 volts, , saying that ive got a collermatser cm storm sniper case with a few extras fans than normal, but always manually adjust volts never auto when ocing.

Associate
OP
Ok, so a few updates on this. Decided to buy a new case (Silverstone Fortress) and got the Noctua Heatsink.

initial impressions were not good, at stock with the Noctua under load, was still hitting 75C.

Then I realised that the CPU Voltage was 1.3V which was a bit odd, so lowered it to 1.15 in the BIOS (1.104 in Cpu-Z), from AUTO, and have now got a 75C load at 3.6GHz.

It's not quite prime stable at 3.8, but it was close, so I might yet squeeze this in under 80C.

I noticed also that the RAM is running at 1.584V under AUTO Voltages on the BIOS, which strikes me as a bit high?

Back
Top Bottom