Anyone been to Malta??

Soldato
Me and the Mrs are looking at potential holiday destinations and Malta's come up.
Neither of us know much about the place but it looks very nice......

Anyone been or have any experience?? Where abouts on the island is worth staying, is there much to see/do etc.....

Google is all well and good but personal experience is better.

Cheers :)

Commissario
I went a couple of years ago with parents and the sister. It had a little bit to offer culture-wise in Valetta, and as it's a very small island there's buses running to and from everywhere! The buses are definitely something to experience too!

Great weather, ideal if you want some sun and relaxation but a little bit of culture too.

Associate
Went at christmas time the year before last and weather was pretty decent even at that time. Although it did seem like there was old people everywhere, perhaps it might be different in the summer but my hotel was full of OAPs. Couple of places to go and see, a lot of churches and all that kinda stuff but apart from that not massive amounts to do. If one of my mates asked me whether Malta is any good and whether they should go then Id tell them not to bother.

Soldato
Before you get on a coach or in a taxi get a good look at the driver, to make sure they're capable of driving, due to them having very relaxed drink driving laws out there;)! was when I went anyway.

Went about ten years ago, stayed in Bugibba, it's a beautiful island with a lot of history to discover. Where we stayed was pretty quiet as far as 'nightlife' was concerned but there were LOTS of bars to just hang out, play pool and get hammered then stumble back to the hotel.
Quite a few 'british' restaurants there too so you're never too far away from a bacon sarnie and cup of tea if you miss home:D Oh and dont forget to pay Sicily a visit and go climp the volcano!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Malta is a fabulous Island. Loads of history, loads of culture, good food, and great weather. When are you thinking of going? It gets very hot during the summer. We stayed in a villa with a pool, and hired a car. It's a small island as has been said, and it's easy to get around.

Soldato
OP
Malta is a fabulous Island. Loads of history, loads of culture, good food, and great weather. When are you thinking of going? It gets very hot during the summer. We stayed in a villa with a pool, and hired a car. It's a small island as has been said, and it's easy to get around.

Unfortunately the Mrs is back at Uni doing a masters, so we're stuck with going in August.

Cheers all for the advise, I think we're settled on giving Malta a try and from the size of it I reckon hiring a car might be a great idea, as it doesn't look like anything will be more than half an hour away!! :)

Definately up for a butchers at Sicily too and all the historic bildings there. Quite excited now :D

Any other suggestions for things to do or see will be greatly appreciated.....

Mat

Mat

Soldato
I went a few weeks ago but that was a diving holiday so didn't see much of the land life. We stayed in Buggiba which isn't too bad, Sunday is the night out there, the place was heaving.

Soldato
Sorry to bring a slightly old thread back up but I live here in Malta if you have any questions :)

Hello just wondering what the law on drink driving is like out there now, as when I was over there on holiday in 1993 drink driving seemed to be the norm:eek:.

Man of Honour

Agreed it's a wonderful island, reminds me a little of Cyprus in some ways.

I only ever went there for work related reasons working in ship yards, but from my experiences with the locals and the sites i was able to see it really made me want to go back again.

The people are friendly, the history is fascinating, the food is eclectic and delicious and of course the weather and scenery are wonderful.

Xon

Xon

Associate
Hello just wondering what the law on drink driving is like out there now, as when I was over there on holiday in 1993 drink driving seemed to be the norm:eek:.

Well that's improved quite a bit. Unfortunately you will still find plenty of drunk idiots driving around at night - however police patrols are now much more consistent and effective and I wouldn't say its such a problem anymore.

Xon

Xon

Associate
Anyone here been to Gozo the island off of Malta, well recommended beautiful cave boat trips.

Gozo is what Malta should've been. It's quite a relaxing trip for us Maltese :)

Will especially recommend all the winebars around the churches!

/edit And yes unfortunately Malta is a very religious country; but that's improving slightly finally!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom