• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

BFG 8800 GTS 320 OC2 Problems

Associate
Hi all,

I did post this a few days ago in General Hardware, but thought it was more appropriate to post here.

On Saturday I developed a problem with what I assume is my graphics card. I started to see blue diagonal lines across the screen before the computer would lock up and I would have to restart. This happened quite frequently, though not at regular intervals. I initially thought it could be overheating, but I check my temperatures and they seemed normal. The problem was occuring both in Windows, when I assume the card was in 2D mode, and in games.

On Sunday, the same problem happened, only this time I restarted to find the BIOS and POST screens appearing slightly corrupted. Windows loaded in 4 bit colour and a low resolution. I could not change this. Device manager reported the graphics card as unable to start. The card appears to have reverted to some low usage mode, similar to the graphics you get when you first install a graphics card and it has no drivers.

I had resigned myself to the fact that the graphics card was bust however when I removed one of my RAM sticks the computer suddenly started to work again, for about 5 minutes before the same problem recurred. Testing with memtest showed that one of my sticks had errors, but even when that was removed the computer now still fails to work. On a side note, memtest's screen was also corrupted like BIOS, however in this case random characters appeared in lines down the left hand side of the screen.

Firstly, am I correctly assuming this is a graphics card related problem?

Secondly, I started an RMA request with BFG. I recieved as email back within about half an hour requesting details on the card (S/N etc) and emailed these back very quickly. It has now been almost 2 days with no further response. How quickly should I expect a reply?

Thanks,
James

Associate
Same here Gamer......BFG-US got back with the details request quickly, but nothing from the local bunch yet.........mind you the weather in Wales is STUNNING at the moment, and they ARE a bunch of geeks so I expect they've skived off to the beach to look at bouncing Welsh boobies. As long as this is the hold up, I'm OK with it, because A. who wouldn't eh? and B. it's not like it won't be tipping down by Friday :D

Back
Top Bottom