Holiday, car or Home.

Caporegime
Depending on the current value of your house, you might be might be over-capitalising with a £7k conservatory.

A new car will depreciate faster than anything else you own, so don't bother with that.

Take the US trip and buy a cheaper conservatory. Win-win.

Associate
Holiday. Your wife and you children would be so happy after the trip, after all I doubt your conservatory would bring that much of enjoyment to your family.

Soldato
At the end of the day you're only on this planet once make of it what you will. Look at it like this, you say your wife has always wanted to go and asks you every holiday season. If she keeps asking then you obviously haven't been. You now have the possibility of taking that trip. When are you likely to get similar funds/opportunity again?

In this day and age you never know how long your family life will last for so in my opinin I say make the most of it with your family go and have a fantastic time and cherish your memories. The conservatory can wait as a retirement project. ;)

Aero

Soldato
Holiday £2-£3K
Small fun car (decent Mazda MX-5 or similar) - £3-4K

Then spend the rest on a massive telly if by this point you don't feel good for doing something awesome for your wife. Any remaining ££ goes on beer.

Sorted.

Soldato
I can't see how your still thinking about this. If going to America on holiday is your wife's dream, it's pretty crap that you are having to think about it.

Associate
OP
I have just commited myself to a holiday, and told the wife she can have her dream.

Her answer, "i was never that serious i don't really want to go to the USA."

Associate
OP
I am now getting the awkward silence because she has in effect turned down the offer.

Women make me *************mad.

I am sure she will say yes tommorrow, at least i am hoping she will, because now that i have guarenteed the finance I want to go.

Soldato
I am now getting the awkward silence because she has in effect turned down the offer.

I am sure she will say yes tommorrow, at least i am hoping she will, because now that i have guarenteed the finance I want to go.

Leave her at home and have an awesome time anyway. :D

Soldato
If you know what you're doing you can easily get a conservatory for 7k, however we're just about to knock ours down and build a summer room.
Conservatories are freezing in winter, too hot in summer, too noisy when it rains and generally nasty things. If you don't need a car then don't bother and if she doesn't want to goto America just leave the money in the bank, you can spend it another day.
How about going on holiday somewhere else and cheaper, you could go on a lovely holiday for a couple of grand.

Associate

Not surprised she is mad, she is likely unhappy that you had to think about this for so long and then grudgingly offered to help her realise one of the greatest dreams she has had in her life.

Back
Top Bottom