Ex greyhound racing Dog

Associate
I was looking at stray dogs yesterday and came across a ex Greyhound racing dog which hadn't been claimed and was due to be put down today. So I took her yesterday and she goes by the racing name Naughty Nell. Luckily she is house trained and does respond to her name. However besides that the tricks such as sit, etc are non existant to her. I was wondering if anyone has any training techinques/ advice for a this breed. They believe she is around 4/5 years old.

Borich

Soldato
She's not a toy. She is house trained and you've done the right thing by giving her a home. I know a few ex-racding dogs and they're mostly very lazy. However, they're also extremely good companions.

It's not really the right dogs for tricks. If you're insistent on making her sit, however, then you need to show her how and reward her with a small treat (not chocolate) when she does it.

Associate
OP
She is very much a couche potato and spend all evening on the sofa with me last night, and had a long 40 min walk this morning. I would like to get her response in terms of sit, lay, wait etc. Not tricks like a toy, but basic commands. She does seems a very clever dog.

Borich

Edit. Also i'm in a flat and they said she is ideally suited for that due to their lazy nature and they don't bark.

Soldato
To get her to sit hold a treat in front of her nose but slightly above it, so she is looking up at it, then move the treat away from you and over her head. As she tips her head backwards to keep an eye on the treat her back end will move down and she should end up in the sitting position.

Associate
OP
I got the recall training lead, and they said shes needs Recall training, on the walk today and shes cats and tries to go for them, and I snap her our the mood with a quick tug and a hit on the side.

Borich

Soldato
Did you not expect that with a grey hound who are trained to chase small animals would want to chase cats? Its their prey drive which is very high in grey hounds and I doubt if you will be able to train her out of that.

Also I wouldn't advise the hitting her side, try positive reinforcement first.

KaHn

Permabanned
FOr god sake people do a bit of research. Don't make a greyhound sit! They're legs are too long and it puts stress on a lot of their joints. Get her to lay down or roll over, my ex-racer greyhound loves to lay down :p Also, being an ex-racer, they way they train them you may find she won't play with toys either, however, they love running. It's not just something that greyhounds are MADE to do, but they do actually enjoy it. If you have a friend or family member you can stand maybe 50-100 meters apart and call her by name and she'll run really fast, give her a treat every time she goes to one of you.

Greyhounds are ace!

Associate
OP
I only tap her on the side, as she is really skinny due to her previous owner neglecting her, I will start to work on the Lay command this evening. She went a bit hyper when she saw my food so i marched her to her bed, and after 8/9 attempts she stayed there until I finished my meal.. So she is not stupid :)

Borich

Soldato
I got the recall training lead, and they said shes needs Recall training, on the walk today and shes cats and tries to go for them, and I snap her our the mood with a quick tug and a hit on the side.

Borich

You are going to struggle with this tbh, they have a very high prey drive and will instinctively chase small animals, and from what I've been told their recall is pretty bad. You'd probably be better keeping him on a lead when taking him for a walk. I've been told by a number of dog trainers that if a recall isn't taught within the 1st six months of a dog life then they will struggle to learn it

Soldato
My neighbour has a greyhound and it can't be let off the lead as it just chases anything that's small and moving.

You may find your in the same boat if her prey drive is too strong, she probably spent the most part of her life chasing a fake rabbit.

They are lovely dogs though and my neighbours just sits quietly all day in his house apparently just wants to chill after a busy life racing.

Well done for rescuing, more people should do it.

Associate
OP
I totally understand the issues with the rescue dog, and recall may be a issue, however she just loves chilling on sofa and being stroked which is a great for a pet. I will keep you guys informed how it the training goes.

Borich

Soldato
I totally understand the issues with the rescue dog, and recall may be a issue, however she just loves chilling on sofa and being stroked which is a great for a pet. I will keep you guys informed how it the training goes.

Borich

Good stuff I'd be very interested to hear how it goes, looks like you've found a great companion and grats on rescuing her :)

Soldato
I think you can actually pay to have them "untrained" to chase small furry things :p

..god knows how much it costs though. We were considering rehoming a racing dog last year after one of our dogs died in an accident and decided against it due to having a cat. We were told thats its a relatively straight forward for a trainer to get the dog to significantly tone down its desire to chase.

Back
Top Bottom