laptops advancement this year?

Associate
what sort of improvement will there be to laptops by september if any?
im looking to spend anything upto 700pounds for a laptop for uni but am wondering if its worth waiting till september if there are going to be any vast improvements.
mabey quad core coming into the mid range laptops?
what do you guys think? worth waiting or just get one now?

thanks.

Associate
OP
hmm hope it comes out before september as i will need one before i go to uni :(
you know when that is due to come out?
seems like i might be buying at the wrong time tbh. quads starting up, and new os... but dont have a choice.

Associate
November is the release date for windows 7 I think. I'm doing the same mate (getting a new laptop for uni).

Think I am going to get the Dell Studio 1745.

They look good value for money. Anyway the thing with PC's etc is all of them are classed as 'old' technology after a few months anyway haha.

Tom

Associate
OP
November is the release date for windows 7 I think. I'm doing the same mate (getting a new laptop for uni).

Think I am going to get the Dell Studio 1745.

They look good value for money. Anyway the thing with PC's etc is all of them are classed as 'old' technology after a few months anyway haha.

Tom
yeah i know, i got my pc before quads started coming in and lost out because of it.

the dell looks aright but is lacking a little on the gpu side, thats if you want to game on it. was looking at some today and there seems to be 3 or so good buys altho cant rember there names/numbers...

Associate
Don't think there is ever a right time to buy being honest, always something bigger and better round the corner regarding technology.

Yeah i agree with the comment on the GPU but I wouldn't be using it to game I don't think. Well maybe football manager but nothing higher than that probs.

OC sell an Acer Aspire which looks quite good and the graphics are probably better too.

I disagree about waiting untill windows 7, you can always upgrade your OS when you want too.

Associate
OP
yeah would be easy to upgrade the os, and as they come with 32bit it could do with a upgrade anyway. but it would mean paying an extra 90 or so for the os.
you planing on getting a laptop soon or going to wait just before you go to uni?

zbo

zbo

Associate
Just to chime in as a uni student with a laptop. If you planning on carrying the laptop to lectures with you ect then make sure its small and light. I'm using the dell XPS1530. Its a 15.4" screen and its too big really. I carried it around for about 5 months and I've totaly stoped taking it to uni now.

If I were you guys I'd stick with a smaller laptop (even netbook) for taking notes.

Now if you planning to have it at dorms as a PC replacement then go ahead and get a bigger one - no problem ;)

EDIT:
Also dell nearly always does a student laptop discount around uni time. It saved me £200ish so it'll be a good idea to wait for one of those offers.

Soldato
If you wait until October then you'll be buying just as the new Calpella Centrino platform is released by Intel - which has processors based on the Nehalem (i7) architecture.

Associate
If you're set on Windows 7 the upgrade program starts June 26th - buy a qualifying laptop from a participating OEM and you'll be eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 7 in October.

Associate
I'd go with philjohn with waiting for the Calpella architecture chips. You'll notice a fair performace bost from it and i'd think a bit of a battery life boost.

Associate
EDIT:
Also dell nearly always does a student laptop discount around uni time. It saved me £200ish so it'll be a good idea to wait for one of those offers.

Oo that sounds good :) Didn't know that. What time around do they started doing discount? August?

I'd go with philjohn with waiting for the Calpella architecture chips. You'll notice a fair performace bost from it and i'd think a bit of a battery life boost.

Yeah that's all well in good but how much would the price increase be on that? Because the price increase from the Core 2 Duo to the i7 was pretty steep.

Associate
OP
Oo that sounds good :) Didn't know that. What time around do they started doing discount? August?

Yeah that's all well in good but how much would the price increase be on that? Because the price increase from the Core 2 Duo to the i7 was pretty steep.
im guessing the i7 laptops will be in the 1200price range for atleast the rest of the year, will be like when i7 came out and the mb and ram was very steep in cost. but it would mean that the older c2d would be very cheep even if you dont get a new model, hmm aways a hard buying a laptop as you cant upgrade them easily and cant build them yourselves easily like pc's :(

Associate
OP
Just to chime in as a uni student with a laptop. If you planning on carrying the laptop to lectures with you ect then make sure its small and light. I'm using the dell XPS1530. Its a 15.4" screen and its too big really. I carried it around for about 5 months and I've totaly stoped taking it to uni now.

If I were you guys I'd stick with a smaller laptop (even netbook) for taking notes.

Now if you planning to have it at dorms as a PC replacement then go ahead and get a bigger one - no problem ;)

EDIT:

15'' was to big to take around or to big for the lecture rooms?
i think it will be fine with a backpack but it would still take up a lot of table space when in leactures.

kinda starting to think about the mac white under 700 pounds and its 13'' with enough power for everything i need. but not 100% if everything will run on it but i gues this means ill be of to the corect section with that question :)

Associate
15'' was to big to take around or to big for the lecture rooms?
i think it will be fine with a backpack but it would still take up a lot of table space when in leactures.

kinda starting to think about the mac white under 700 pounds and its 13'' with enough power for everything i need. but not 100% if everything will run on it but i gues this means ill be of to the corect section with that question :)

Have a look at the dell studio xps 13. Similar price to the macbook but much better spec for the money.

Back
Top Bottom