• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core i7 920 Temps?

Associate
So, I re-applied the Arctic silve 5 using the instructions on their website (let the heatsink do the movement, don't scrape it over yourself) and get better values:

Stock Speed, Stock Cooler
idle: 36C
load: 72C

Huge improvement.

Still goes over 100C at 3.0GHz though :(

I have the C0 stepping and I get better temps than that at stock. I havent overclocked it yet. Water Cooling bits coming this week so I'll have a play then.

My idle is low 30's and load is low 60's

RoEy

Last edited:
Soldato
I used both the Noctua and TRUE on my 920. Neither were able to get my idle temps below 40C. In the end I went liquid cooling and its the best thing I ever did :D

My temps on idle can be as low as 36C (and it's OC'd to 4.3GHz but have left it at 4.0GHz). When running Prime on 4.3GHz the temps would go as high as mid 70s. But I do believe that the higher the vCore the hotter the CPU will get. So keep this in mind when you overclock. I noticed when I OC'd my CPU to 4.5GHz (woop woop lol), the vCore had to be raised to over 1.4v and temps on idle were in the mid 40s to a 10C jump from 4.0GHz.

Associate
tbh guys youre idle temps owe a lot to how good youre case is for coolling, youre thermal paste, how good and level youre heatsink sits on cpu etc, the point is whats the point off overclocking etc, if you got a crap £30 case with like 2 80mm fans, if you have theres no way youre gonna idle a i7 920 below 40c in most cases , anyways just my 2 pence worth ;)

Associate
just a small note guys, you should be able to run a co 920, with a good cooler on 3.4ghz turbo on, at 1.20volts, and defo on a DO spec chip, just manually adjust cpu volts as auto, always overvolts, MY CO 920 ideles with a TRUE extreme @ about35 to 40 @ 3.4ghz with 1.20 volts, , saying that ive got a collermatser cm storm sniper case with a few extras fans than normal, but always manually adjust volts never auto when ocing.

Can you give me your bios profile please? what setting you have ect.

thank if you can

Associate
Hi all,

Just put in my new Core i7 920 D0 and getting surprisingly high temps at stock.

This is a retail chip with the stock cooler on it.

At Stock speed, idle is ~50C and Prime95 load puts it to 87C

When I oc'd it to 3.5GHz, Prime 95 put the temps over 100C and the machine shutdown.

I took off the thermal paste on the chip and replaced with arctic silver 5, but similar sort of issues..

Is this normal sorts of temps, or am I doing something wrong here.

MB is Gigabyte UD5

Cheers!

with my akasa nero with rather shoddily applyed thermal paste i reckon i get about 40 when idle and it will peak at 75 ish under 100% load at stock, so probably sounds about right

Back
Top Bottom