ST170 - Is this overpriced?

mjd

mjd

Associate
I am looking at selling my 08 plate fiesta in favour of an ST170.
After losing my job last year I had to sell my 07 plate ST, and go all economical and boring. Its a nice enough A to B car, but I get no return in the fun stakes and I miss it.

Anyway I have happened upon a 52 plate ST170, 35k and every conceivable extra. Been in touch with the seller and all seems above board and generally a nice example. I am on the brink of selling the Fiesta and buying the 170, but I cant help thinking that even with the high spec, its overpriced.

Your opinions on the price would be very much appreciated. Here is the car in question -

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1066881.htm

Thanks in advance

MJD :)

Soldato
Parkers would suggest its worth somewhere between 2700 and 4000, so yes it does seem expensive. Not liking all the silly badges and seatbelt pads etc either

Soldato
Parkers would suggest its worth somewhere between 2700 and 4000, so yes it does seem expensive. Not liking all the silly badges and seatbelt pads etc either

Yep looks like its been owned by someone who thinks its a rocket ship.

New shape focus prices have really knocked the old shape prices down hard. With todays market you should be able to get one much cheaper than that.

Soldato
And has probably been driven as such.....

If its completely mint otherwise, I still wouldnt want to pay much more than 4k for it

Soldato
It is a bit heavy on the price but as I found when shopping for my car sometimes you have to put parkers/glass/which guides down and pay the premium if you want a minter.

The additions are tacky lets be honest but I wouldn't let that put you off too much.

Soldato
£5 and a half k for a Focus at that age?.

Nah. It's a Focus at the end of the day. "Performance" and "Ford" are not two mainstream terms that go well together. Mundane day to day transport, yeah, but look elsewhere if you want something fun and exiting to drive.

Arc

Arc

Associate
It is overpriced, simple as that, there are plenty of other ST170's out there. I'd go for one without all the "addons" that one has and probably slightly newer.

Getting one with the two options packs (comfort and custom) is difficult but not impossible. The main thing to watch is that the various recalls have been done (engine map should have been upgraded, especially on pre 04 cars) and that the 9006 head unit hasn't been replaced by a 6006.

"Performance" and "Ford" are not two mainstream terms that go well together.

:rolleyes: Seriously, I don't know why I even bother reading this forum nowadays.

Soldato
had my st170 for nearly 2 years now. It's a 52. I paid 6k for it and it was mint with only 24k on the clock. That one seems overpriced IMO. You can pick up one for a lot less than that.

Whilst I like the car, it comfy , it handles well and is very well built, there are a few things that would have put me off buying it had I of known.

• Fuel efficancy is shocking, drive like a saint on the motorway and you will get 25mpg. Around town with a heavy foot = $$
  • wheels flake like mad, even if well looked after.
  • It ain't quick , it's reasonably nippy at best. A Civic type R or Mondeo st220 will leave it standing.

If I had 6k to spend on a car now I would be looking at a mint st220 or the civic type r.

Last edited:

Nor

Nor

Associate
I know I always say this, but I cannot understand why folk would buy an ST170 over an MG ZS 180. Better car for loads less. You can get an absolute mint example of a 180 for peanuts now.

My 54 ZS 180 with 26k miles would probably sell for about £3k.

Last edited:
Soldato

:rolleyes: Seriously, I don't know why I even bother reading this forum nowadays.

I hear you. Sometimes it seems its all regurgitated drivel, badge snobbery and follow the pack mentality whilst trying to show superior knowledge etc.. could be age or penis related, who knows? Theres a lot of nice people though and it can be a great place for knowledge.

That said, the ST170 (from someone whos actually driven one for a while, not just 'heard on the netz') is'nt really worth the money demanded for it these days tbh and that one is overpriced badly.

Back
Top Bottom