Audigy 2 and Vista 64 5.1 Issues

Associate
Hi There

I recently did a full reinstall and Im struggling to get my 5.1 to work properly. (Im not sure if it worked properly before)

Ive tried updating drivers from creative labs etc and having no joy. It cant seem to find the front or rear speakers. (Although in games sound does come from them). Everything is plugged in correctly and the speakers do work. I did try to put the speakers into my motherboard sound sockets but still had the same problem.

Ive read lots of people having this issue but im struggling to find if there is a solution.

Would upgrading my sound card to something like a Titanium X-Fi PCIe fix it? Or does 5.1 simply not work in Vista 64 bit? Could anyone lend a hand?

My specs are:

E6600
Gigabyte ga-965p-ds3
6GB Corsair RAM
640MB 8800GT
2x500GB Seagate Baracuda 12 in Raid0
Audigy 2 PCI
Vista Ultimate 64Bit
Logitech Z-5500 5.1

Thanks for your help.

Soldato
I have and it works perfectly ( hell, I have a very similar spec to you too, 965p mobo and audigy 2 ZS, z5500's and vista x64 sp1) . I used the drivers from the creative site. Then make sure both creative and windows is set at 5.1, 24bit and 94khz or more... And at the correct output device.

However, you say you have the same issue with your onboard soundcard, which to be sounds like you're doing something wrong, either cable wise or setup wise.

If vista x64 wouldn't support 5.1 then I doubt many people would use it. It definitely DOES.

I would need much more info:

What are your creative settings (speaker settings)?
What kind of connection are you using ?
What kind of windows speaker settings are you using and have you correctly set up the default playback device?
What are you using to test the speakers, the windows built in test ? I assume the z5500's test feature works fine though all speakers ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The speaker test works fine yes. Im using the standard Ports (Orange, Black, Green), which usually work fine.

Ive set the speakers to 5.1 in control panel and do the test. Only sound through the front left and front right. No sound through the front, back left, back right and sub... But I get sound from them while gaming so they deffo work. But obviously its not 5.1.

Ive set the default play back to my Audigy 2, tryed all creative drivers, no joy. Tryed the Daniel_K Support Pack drivers with not much luck either.

It does seem wierd tho that when plugging into my motherboard I can the same results from the windows speaker test. Really confusing...

Do you have a link to the drivers you are using?

I can check my other speaker settings later when im at home.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom