BT Line Rental

Associate
Hey everyone, we've moving into a new house on the 3rd July so I'm currently trying to get things set with utility companies.

I know that the house we're buying has a BT phone line, but no Sky or Cable TV/Broadband etc so I'm going to be taking a package out with Sky with TV, Broadband and phone. I was going to cancel the BT Line Rental and take it out through Sky to have it all in the one place, can I do this? Should I cancel it with BT before arranging Sky or vice versa? Or do Sky do this on our behalf when I ring them up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Caporegime
AFAIK, you must have the line installed by BT then be out of contract with them (minimum is 12 months) then Sky can bill for line rental onwards from this period.

Associate
OP
Just got off the phone with Sky to order the TV, phone and Internet.

Asked them about how to go about it as there is a BT line there already. They'll be doing the work for us by activating the phone line in the house once the existing line is deactivated when the seller moves out and setting up the line rental with Sky.

Permabanned
So have you got a contract with BT already? If so you will have to cancel with them first - which I think takes a month. If not, and it is just a inactive phone line, just contact Sky and they will do it all for you. It won't be instant mind you - will probably take up to a month whichever way you do it, so best to get in touch with them ASAP.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Associate
OP
Well I'm a first time buyer with the missus so we have nothing to take with us so having to set everything up ourselves.

Am I right in thinking when people move house things like the phone are deactivated? Hence why Sky need to activate the phone line again once we move in?

Soldato
Well if you bought the house, the house is yours, the phone line is yours.

In theory all you need to do is call Sky and ask then to put a Line rental order through on your new address. This should/could take up to 2 weeks and then ask then to provide your BB on your new number.

If there are any previous Broadband tags on the line the line rental order should remove them. When you ask for your Broadband order ask if then can provide in a short lead time as this cuts the provision down to 5 working days opposed to the usual 10.

Associate
OP
Well when I spoke to the bloke at Sky I told him I want the line rental through Sky as well seeing as its a few quid cheaper, told him there was an existing BT line in there already from the previous owner.

He said that they'd contact BT for us, make sure the existing lines not cut off whilst the old owners are still in there and get it activated for us once we move in. Getting BT to check/activate the line and let us know when this is done so we can ring Sky again to order the broadband.

Does this sound right?

Soldato
Sorry for the slight hijack, what happens with a ne build regarding the bt line? As there are no cables laid for virgin we have to use adsl. Now I guess the line won't even be activated, so we do BT have to sort it or could Be* or O2 do it?

Associate
Sorry for the slight hijack, what happens with a ne build regarding the bt line? As there are no cables laid for virgin we have to use adsl. Now I guess the line won't even be activated, so we do BT have to sort it or could Be* or O2 do it?

Please clarify? I have no idea what an ne build is.

Soldato

You will have to shell out £125 for BT Openreach to install a line for you. You can order the line from various companies such as BT or the Post Office but at the end of the day it's BT Openreach who will install it and they charge £125 so it's unlikely you'll get a discount unless you commit to an 18 month contract.

Have fun dealing with BT they are the worst company I have dealt with in my entire life, their customer service sucks and they don't seem to care.

Back
Top Bottom