Windows 7 32 or 64 bit ?

Associate
I was just wondering which one I should download ?
I currently have 3MB of RAM so which one would use this most effectively ?
Also should I backup my important files if I use it on my main computer or is it relatively safe and stable ?

Thanks
kane

Associate
If you do a lot of media playback (especially HTPC's) then 32-bit is still the better supported and mature platform. For a normal desktop OS though I'd consider switching to 64-bit tbh

Soldato
If you have a 64bit processor there is no reason at all to go with the 32bit version, both Vista/7 64 have been rock solid for me.

There are some reasons to not go 64bit, such as older 32bit software that use a 16bit version of InstallShield - despite being compatible with 64bit windows (as the app is 32bit) they cannot be installed.

The biggest reason however is driver support for peripherals, there are still printers, scanners and other miscellania on sale that do not, and will never have, 64bit drivers (I'm looking at you Canon).

Associate
The only piece of hardware i have that isn't 64 bit compatible is my pci wifi card. I will replace it before 7 is released. Any recommendations?

Soldato
The only piece of hardware i have that isn't 64 bit compatible is my pci wifi card. I will replace it before 7 is released. Any recommendations?

If you're not bothered about 802.11n, I recommend the Netgear WG311T for two reasons - auto-installs in Vista if I recall correctly, and works with Linux. Not had a problem with it. Had it a couple of years though but I'm sure they still sell it.

Associate
If you're not bothered about 802.11n, I recommend the Netgear WG311T for two reasons - auto-installs in Vista if I recall correctly, and works with Linux. Not had a problem with it. Had it a couple of years though but I'm sure they still sell it.

I only see the WG311 in the store, not the 311T. Any idea what the difference is?

Back
Top Bottom