• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

High Temps on Intel i7 920

RJC

RJC

Don
Temps don't look bad, but could be lower, what happens when you run Prime or Intel burn test.

Have you checked the BIOS just in case it has set its self to a 12x multiplier.

Soldato
Were you running everything at stock?
What cooler are you using? Check it hasn't come loose at one corner.

Were any of the bios setting altered, as it looks like everything is at stock apart from the multipler which has been manually stuck to 12.

Man of Honour
OP
about a month ago i used to get around 32 on idle and its freezing in my room at the moment.

After running prime for about 20 secs, the multi does go up to 21, but thats at around 80%+ load. Temps also shoot up as usual.

http://s1.lookpic.com/images/03/1245507553-Untitled-1.jpg

I'm not to fussed about the multi, more the recent spike in temps.

Everything is at stock for now using a stock fan as well. BIOS has only been overclocked to a Intel 940 to see the temps and then back down again to a 920. I'll check my heatsink now. BRB.

Soldato
32 on idle for the stock cooler seems low to me, mine idled around 42 per core.
Now with a noctua, I can run a 20% OC and idle at 41 however, which makes me much happier.
Your load temps look absolutely fine for a full burn, similar to what I got at stock.
12 on the system is simply speedstep when there is no loading, as long as it happily bounces back to 21 then you're fine.

Soldato
Earth[Tera].bin if you have a p5t board I believe the northbridge sensor is between the gfx card slot and NB, tends to make things hotter, alongside OCed ram. If you have a different board no clue where the sensors lie.

MY MB temp is almost the same as my idle cpu temp 38 versus 41, but the Mb temp tends not to change much at all under load.

Soldato
Earth[Tera].bin if you have a p5t board I believe the northbridge sensor is between the gfx card slot and NB, tends to make things hotter, alongside OCed ram. If you have a different board no clue where the sensors lie.

MY MB temp is almost the same as my idle cpu temp 38 versus 41, but the Mb temp tends not to change much at all under load.

I have the Biostar Tpower x58, I suspected the heat from the graphics card could be playing a part. Well at least I know now the temps nothing to freak out about.

Soldato
The reason your multiplier is dropping will be because you have EIST and C1e enabled in your BIOS...

Disabling those 2 features will keep the multi @ 20 (or 21 if you have Turbo enabled)

Soldato
I'm currently idling at about 40/41~C on all cores, can idle as low as 38 though, depends if I've got my windows open :).
Got a C0/C1, at 3GHz with 1.152V (still dropping this gradually), using a Noctua push/pull configuration.
Hoping to get my Vcore down to 1V (sub preferably :D).

High 40s at stock is quite high IMO (not even stock, you're at 1.6GHz in that screeny).

Nice choice of background image btw ;)

Man of Honour
OP
High 40s at stock is quite high IMO (not even stock, you're at 1.6GHz in that screeny).

Nice choice of background image btw ;)

Thanks.

Thats what im worried about, im not even at stock temps and my temps are still peaking to high for me. At 0.3% load im still pushing into the 50's, i've checked my HS and its clean and tightly connected.

At what clock does the 920 switch the multiplier to x21?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you show me a picture of what is Push Pull look like ?

Push/Pull means having two fans either side of the cooler.

One pulls air as the other pushes it...see below:

FILE0082.jpg

Hmmm...I do miss having a CPU cooler with those fans...the blue is so nice :D

but I am now on liquid cooling so its all good :D

Back
Top Bottom