Golf Thread

Associate
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with slicing the ball at present.. I tend to get an extreme amount of loft the ball starts going straight the falls away to the right heavily.

I went to the range last night to practice some tips and it was going well until 16 screaming 17 years olds stopped me from concentrating for the last half of my bucket of balls..

Anywho, good tips for avoiding the slice?

I have adjusted the following things in my setup

*closed the club face more which made a difference
*slowed by back swing down
*made my grip more loose

Associate
Most slices come from having an out to in swing, you can minimise the effects by having the face closed, going for draw biased clubs etc, but in order to get over the problem and progress you need to have an in to out swing, this comes from proper body rotation.

If I was you I would have some lessons before causing more issues.

Soldato
lol, yes I guess if you haven't played for a while then you will be using muscles that probably haven't been used too much in 12 years.

As for clubs, I would recommend a second hand set of Macgregors. You can usually find the M455's (quite chunky) or M565's (not so chunky) on ebay for less than £100. They are good forged irons that don't cost the earth and get glowing reviews in the golfing press. I had a set of 455's about four years ago, they were my first set of decent irons, and they are so easy to hit it's unreal. Off centre shots will still travel a good distance and they will still go fairly straight. The 565's are more of a game improvement iron, as oppose to the 455's which are really aimed at the higher handicapper. However the 565's are still very forgiving, and if you think you'll be playing a fair bit I'd probably opt for these.

The other good thing with the Macgregors is they're forged, so this makes it easier to get them fitted for you. Once you have a fairly repeatable swing, you can get yourself down to the local pro and he can sort your loft and lie out for you.

Thanks. I've found a set of used McGregor M565 Irons which I will probably buy but what else do I need?
I'm not sure what woods I will need. I've completely forgotten which type of clubs are used for what, etc! :o

Associate
You can have 14 Clubs

Putter is a must

Irons (normally 3-PW)
Wedges (SW, LW etc)
Fairway Woods (3w, 5w etc)
Driver
Hybrid/Rescue (replace long irons - higher flight easier to hit)

As a beginner you don't need to worry too much about anything but Irons and a putter until you get used to them.

Associate
Aha, golfing.

My bag contains (at the moment)
Taylor Made R7 9 degree driver
Adams Tight Lies 15 degree 3 wood.
Adams Tight Lies 5 wood.
Taylor Made Rescue Mid 4 22 degree.
Taylor Made RAC OS Irons.
Generic Lob wedge.
Taylor Made Rossa Monza putter.
Cobra Trolley Bag.
Titliest Stand Bag.

Balls, either Pro V1's, Srixon AD333's or during the winter Pinnacle Gold FX Long balls.

Currently playing just over my 18 handicap.
Had major problems late last year with hitting all my irons fat. Almost gave the game up due to it.
I am now striking the ball a lot cleaner, but my putting over the last few weeks has been shocking.

Off with the works golf society to Forest Pines in Lincolnshire in July for 2 rounds of golf.

I generally play here:-http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/hotel-information/golf-courses/emags-marriott-breadsall-priory-hotel-and-country-club/
It has 2 courses which are always in good condition.

Soldato
OP
I'm gutted...i haven't played since last sunday...and i won't be able to play for another 8 days....ARGH :(

Im working over 88hours in the next 7days

Soldato
That's not good. I've got a lesson tomorrow night, playing friday afternoon & Saturday morning, not trying to make you jealous or anything like........ :D

Looking forward to playing Woburn Abbey in early July, heard it's a pretty demanding track, off to La Manga after that for 10 days too.

Associate
Had a work commitment last time I was meant to play Woburn so had to miss it, but from what I hear and have seen it looks fantastic, I'm sure 2 of the 3 courses are rated as some of the top in the country and host various pro tours.

I'm playing Friday and looking forward to trying out my new Scotty putter :)

Soldato
Had a good round early saturday morning, until the beer from fri night wore off! haha. Went out in 37 including a nice eagle on a 310yd par 4 (drove the green and 4ft putt, dont ask me how i did it, i couldn't even keep track of the ball!!) and even started with two double bogeys!! Fell apart after the turn, hangover kicked in, beer sweats etc, came back in 47.

Anyone else play over the weekend?

Soldato
usual Saturday medal for me.

Recently cut down to 11 handicapp from 13 after a few lessons, playing well etc - couple of good scores last month (net 67 & 68)

Medal started badly, double bogied the first after a poor tee shot but steadied the ship a bit by finishing front 9 with 4 pars (out in 6 over)

Parred the 10th so looking ok at the moment and then........

Tripled 11th, double 12th and double 13th - round over!!!!

Birdied par 5 last to scrap home in net 76.

Outwith that - anyone see the abatross from Echenique yesterday in Germany.

Sank his approach shot at the par-five last for a 2 with a 243-yard three-iron cut into the green and rolled up to the hole and dropped in!!! nice work - back nine of 27!!!!

Soldato
We had our club champs on Saturday, shot level gross over 36 holes to finish 13th Net and 30th overall so not a bad day out considering I had 13 3 putts in the 2 rounds! If I had my putting stroke with me, I would have been in contention for the net and top 10 gross! Never mind, played 9 yesterday and shot 3 over (38).

Associate
Played friday and shot a 92 (3 over) from my handicap of 18. Played my club course sunday morning and shot an 83 which net was 65. Played fairly crap though, few out of bounds and bad drives. Hope to shoot a 79 sometime this summer (Already had an 80)

Since its my first post in here il list my clubs:

Taylormade 10.5deg Tour Burner - Stiff
Taylormade Vsteel 2 5 wood - Stiff
Ping G10 Irons 5-pw - Stiff Steel
Titlelist Vokey 52deg
Callaway Xforged 56deg
Callaway Xforged 60deg
Oddysey White Hot XG Marxman Blade

Ball of choice: nxt's, ad333's or warbirds.

Associate
Associate
Guys,

Ive been slicing my drive for a while it does it most of the time and its killing me!

I've tried everything, really i have.

Anyone had any experience with this and what are the solutions!!

Associate
Alignment really, make sure the ball is just inside your front heel and take a slow and low pick up. Apart from that make sure your bottom hand isnt too far open.

Soldato
Guys,

Ive been slicing my drive for a while it does it most of the time and its killing me!

I've tried everything, really i have.

Anyone had any experience with this and what are the solutions!!

Have you tried a lesson or two? I was a horrendous slicer of the ball with the driver, main fault was out/in swing rather than in/out. This took a couple of lessons and a lot of practice in between to sort out, but has now sorted my driving out so i now only hit 1 or 2 out of twenty badly (and that is more of either a fade or block).

Associate
Yeah ive read up on the in/out swing and im pretty sure thats definatly the problem, going for a round again tomorrow so will report back hopefully with the news its improved :) thanks guys

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom