• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Safe temps for HD 4850?

Associate
Hi,

Ive just bought the Asus HD 4850 from ocuk a few days ago and wondering if my temps are too high.

Ive read that these things run hot but while having a bash on Far Cry this afternoon ive seen the temps rise up to 100C, once it gets over 90C im getting random lock ups and my monitors loose signal from the card.

I didnt have any probs with the 8800GT thats just come out of it...

Does that sound like a temp issue?

Soldato
I've had 80c on one on a motherboard outside of a case so I wouldn't be surprised if it reached 100c inside case. Either way it's one hot card which is down to the thin, and obviously slightly useless, stock cooling solution.

RMAing the card saying you get temperature problems isn't going to do much as you'll get another one back that will do just the same. Only real solution is buy a better cooler for it. I bought the Accelero S1 and temps barely go over 50c on load now :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply :)

I was looking at the Accelero S1 last night, it was more for noise than anything then as the card is v loud.

My card came with the Asus Glaciator cooler which is a large dual slot affair, that gave me doubts about the S1 keeping it cool enough but 50C sounds a lot better than a 100C!

Associate
OP
Ah well thats fine, my 120mm case fans are v quiet even on high so ill be happy if another one of those does the job, think ill get an S1 ordered then :)

Surprised ocuk dont sell them though..

Caporegime
they are hot buggars :D mine will be 100c while playing really intense games like crysis or hunter but cod 4 never goes beyound 80 :confused:

i was gunna try rmaing mine when first got it but i was told by a ati techie that there fine upto 125c:eek::eek:

i must admit mines never artifacted or anything bad just hot.

Soldato
yea mine is the same, ive got mine at 43% all the time, and its bearable, keeps it down to 70 load 89-90, really does need a better cooler, but knowing which one fits the best is a pain in the ass as everyone has different opinions.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Maybe ive got an extra toasty one lol, fan is screaming away at 99% when in FarCry and cant keep it below 90+C :S

For some reason I thought this Asus cooler was going to be quieter than my 8800GT, its much louder even with the fan at 50%, heres hoping the S1 will kill 2 birds with 1 stone :)

Associate
OP
Ive just requested an rma so fingers crossed that will go ok, ive only had it 8 days so dont want to try reseating myself, thanks for the replies :)

Back
Top Bottom