• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4850 Crashing under load

Soldato
Yep should be fine, if it's the earthwatts. Although you'll need to find a molex to PCIe 6/8 pin adapter.

I agree with the Happy one.

You didin't mention it's age - but TBH, if it appears to be working OK and it's not hinting that it has any issues via random reboots or clicking etc (your card symptoms a side for now) i wouldn't worry about it.

Soldato
daryll, if your temps are at 93 with your fan at 100% you definitely have problems!

If there are no other contributing factors and your card is still under the 1 year warranty i would return it for replacement.

Unless your happy to reseat the heatsink/fan yourself? (that's if it's the problem of course - and you risk voiding warranty.)

I give with one hand and take with the other... :/

Last edited:
Soldato
Plec, what do you reckon with darylls cooler not being set correctly? perhaps its not sitting correctly on the GPU core?

Always a possibilty with high gpu temps.

And from experience - some are not fixed with the best of care and one i had didn't even have gunk/pad between heatsink and gpu.

Associate
I was going to reseat (well fit an S1) but I only bought the card last week from ocuk so im now wary of voiding the warranty.

I havent tried underclocking yet, I might give it a go, I cant really be without a card either so im going to have to order one before sending this back :S

Thanks for the input guys :)

Soldato
I cant really be without a card either so im going to have to order one before sending this back :S

I would send OCs a web note outlining your problems. Let them respond in kind with suggestions.

Try out said suggestions - if/when they fail; then order your new card. Always good to have that extra bit of insurance when rma'ing...

Associate

Ive had a response, no suggestions etc just an RMA number, do you know if postage is refunded if a fault is found? This is the first time ive returned anything to ocuk..

Soldato
do you know if postage is refunded if a fault is found? This is the first time ive returned anything to ocuk..

Yes it is but you have to request it and enclose a copy of your postage receipt. This means you have to seal your package up in the post office which is a bit of a pain in the bum.

Additional: Obviously, this doesn't apply if the card is found not to be at fault by OCs.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok then, I might do that, hopefully they will find the fault otherwise it could work out pricey!

I can recreate the problem in furmark everytime so hopefully will be ok.

Caporegime
Ok then, I might do that, hopefully they will find the fault otherwise it could work out pricey!

I can recreate the problem in furmark everytime so hopefully will be ok.

Furmark has known problems with 48xx series pushing them too hard, it's probably not the best tool to test stability with.

Soldato
mmj_uk read the whole post - as it will make sense with the edit ;)

Furmark has known problems with 48xx series pushing them too hard, it's probably not the best tool to test stability with.

It is with this particular card and fault - especially when combined with his other problems/crashes.

Some of the xfx 4850 xxx editions have known issues (as highlighted in this thread - link) - and as his card fits all the other criteria Furmark is the easiest test for OCs to document.

EDIT: Ignore above - just noticed your talking about daryll and not the 'OP', apologies - it's so easy to lose track of a thread - agreed it would perhaps be wise to experiment with other apps/games just to be sure... PHEW!

Last edited:
Associate
I think my situation is worsening, just tried company of heroes, i didnt loose signal this time but the game crashed out at around 70C, could be a red herring but ive never had that game crash on me before..

Ive actually just been pricing up the 260 myself rollins ;) I notice you mention returning your card, my rma just says replace, do you get the option to return or is it simply because you have the XXX version?

Soldato
daryll, mmj_uk, made a valid point.

Before you tried Furmark were you experiencing problems before?

I was still in the 'mind set' of the thread and forgot to ask if you had been experiencing problems before you treid Furmark.

Were you, are you?

What are your temps under load in other apps/games?

Associate
Sorry forgot to reply to that, yep I was ive been loosing signal from the card while playing various games for the last few days, posted about it on here yesterday. Only tried furmark after following this thread today as the issues sounded v similar to mine.

Soldato
Great - well not great - but you get my point.

With the above clarified - you wont be disappointed with the 260, or really any card in that price bracket.

Good luck with your rma's and purchases guys.

Permabanned
Hi guys

Just looking for a bit of confirmation really. Recently upgraded to an XFX 4850 XXX from a 4670, and have had a few problems with the card while under load.

Seems to be whenever I'm playing a game, after about 15 mins the machine locks up with a black screen. I've been able to replicate this problem within Wolverine, as well as Furmark.

I'm not sure if its a heat issue, as the card idles in Windows at around 42C and at load at about 60-68c. I think that is within tolerances.

The only other thing is I'm running the system with a 420W Antec Earthpower PSU that came with the Fusion case I have. The system itself is an athlon X2 6000 at stock (3.1Ghz), 4Gb RAM, 1 SATA HDD, 1 SATA DVD-RW, 1PCI Wireless NIC.

So what do you reckon guys, do I blame card, PSU, Catalyst 9.6 or temps? I'm thinking PSU but wanted other thoughts.

hey if this hasnt already been answered. i know that XFX ATI GPU'S had problems with their gpu bios's and causing this exact problem so you can either RMA it (sensible) but if your cant, update your GPU bios to a more up to date one.

i remember doing this with my HD 4870 made by sapphire, they shipped it out too early, lol it couldnt run java without BSOD

Back
Top Bottom