What do people use as "sound" for pc's

Associate
I'm using a MOTU 828MKII audio interface into Tapco S5 speakers and Velodyne HGS10 sub.

Also have a Marantz A/V amp (Can't remember the model) with a pair of Mission M73 floorstanders that are connected that are used when watching stuff on the plasma.

Caporegime
icon14.gif

Soldato
Would the Motherboard optical > DAC > Amp setup be as good as an Essence STX RCA > Amp with regard to sound quality?

Assuming the same amp is used in both setups, it depends how good the DAC is.

I confess I don't know much about the Xonars, but my guess would be that the Essence STX's DAC would probably be very good, even compared with external dedicated DACs.

Soldato
M-Audio ProjectMix (although this is a bit extreme for your average PC user!) linked to a pair of KRK Rokit 6 studio monitors. Pricey but great :)

Similar setup here -
M-audio Delta 66 (or Digidesign 001) to KRK RP8s.

Although i wouldn't recommend studio monitors for serious music listening, as although the detail is great for studio/audio work, i personally find them (the KRKs) pretty tiring on the ears after long hours.
If money allowed, a pair of Meyer's would be the ultimate choice for serious music/audio work and hours of listening to music - just a shame there £5.2k a pair :(

Soldato
I personally have

living room ( Main ) : Altec Lansing 955's on an Audigy 2 ZS
LAN Master : Logitech Z5500 & XFI
Atari Falcon : Yamaha HS80 Active Monitors ( Cos stereo is better than 5.1 or 7.1 tripe )
And various other tat stuff.

To be fair, Several years ago... In fact, When the Intel Pentium 200MMX was king, I bought a set of 2.1 Speakers ... KMX are the make and I stil have them. They cost me a tenner and they are currently hooked up to my 8 year old sons PC... Best speaker I ever bought considering and they still sound great. They sound better than most £50 setups I have had in the past and they are still working well. Fairly loud too!

Soldato
Headphones are the best imho.

I used to use a 7.1 sound system but had to buy some headphones as my mum was complaining about the noise (damn BF2 artillery)

Surround speakers are infinitely better than headphones. There's no way headphones can compare with having a decent sub rumbling your floor/chair/desk everytime a tank/grenade is nearby.

The problem you had is not having your own house where you don't have to deal with parents ;)

Currently doing gaming/FLACs through x-fi> 5.1AV receiver> Kef iq3's, cresta 20c and home built rears with custom built sub on the way.

Associate

Good choice, I use a pair of A7's off of an Asus Xonar STX feeding lossless audio and it sounds amazing. Easily as good as all of the seperates I have had over the years and that includes some mid to semi high end stuff.

The ART ribbon's make the hairs on my neck stand up every now and then with their realism.

Not cheap but worth it (to me)

I run a set of Senny 595's also which are pretty good off of the Xonar's headphone amp.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surround speakers are infinitely better than headphones. There's no way headphones can compare with having a decent sub rumbling your floor/chair/desk everytime a tank/grenade is nearby.

The problem you had is not having your own house where you don't have to deal with parents ;)

Currently doing gaming/FLACs through x-fi> 5.1AV receiver> Kef iq3's, cresta 20c and home built rears with custom built sub on the way.

they both have their uses. i game with headphones, always, if im playing serious.

Back
Top Bottom