Advice on London trip

Associate
Just looking for some advice on how to handle a trip to London. I am deciding to drive down in the car from Edinburgh. I have roughly calculated that it will cost about £120 each way, maybe more. The car does about 360 miles to a tank (BMW 330Ci) and flights work out at about £270 for the two of us.

Now I am stuck in two minds whether to drive down or get the plane down, advantages of the car are obviously that i have it down there and its can be done at my own pace. One thing i did think is the price of the services on the M6, anyone got an idea what they are like just now?

Associate
Train seems mighty expensive. Are you travelling off-peak? Young persons rail card is £26 and saves a third off ticket price (plus allows you to return on peak trains using an off-peak ticket).

Not worth the hassle driving, you won't want to drive anywhere in London if you are sight seeing anyway.

Associate
OP
If only we were young again :(... 23 and 26 here!

I dont exactly have to go to the cntre as its Epsom, so round the M25 and off at one of the junctions.

Associate
I'd get the train, I'm going to Edinbourgh in a few weeks and it cost £99 return for me and my GF, both with a young persons rail card.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Preston to London cost my work about £100 or so to send me there first class. The tip is to buy one way tickets as opposed to return, they always work out cheaper for us and are usually direct.

At least you don't have the luxuary of driving 500 miles to Goodwood (and back!)

Soldato
Just checked on the trainline site and buying 2 single tickets for each way works out at £216 in total. Seems a bit pricey.

Yep, just checked National Express site (They run the east coast main line) and its £108 return per person.

However, you will find that it is actually cheaper getting certain single tickets in both directions.

Single tickets cost anywhere from £12 upto the full price depending on the time of the train and how well in advance it is booked and what day of the week it is.

Have a check here

http://www.nationalexpress.com/trainslanding.aspx

edit:

For example, I checked one way ticket prices from edinburgh to london for the 13th of July(2 weeks from now) and the cheapest ticket was £37.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom