• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4850 Crashing under load

Soldato
If I could keep the card and flash the bios to a standard 4850, then manually overclock I'd be a happy bunny.

Thoughts anyone?

James/Jamus (can't remember), in the thread that i linked, was informed by xfx that this wasn't a possibilty for the 4850.

Plus, i'm guessing, OCs would have suggested this as an option if it was possible - as they are aware of this particualr probelm with some of the xxx 4850's.

Last edited:
Soldato
Im 99% sure, it could be that the VRM Voltage Regulators are getting to hot.

Open Rivatuner hardware monitor.
and see what your VRM temps are under load

Run Furmark For 2 minutes and maximize GPU load 99% then come out of furmar and see what your vrm temps are. if there over 100c then thats the cause of your black screens

Associate
"Trying to install the ATi Tray Tool Happy, but windows 7 rc-1 is not allowing the low level driver to run as its not digitally signed. I'll see if google throws up a fix"

Search for Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider @ ngohq.com

Using that lets me run tray tools in windows 7 fine.

Soldato
Hey Plec - first of all I totally appreciate the effort put in by yourself and others in sorting out this issue - just wanted to say thanks.

Np, hope it all works out.

My PSU is DEFINATELY an Antec Earthwatts 430W. So, the question is will it power an ATi 4870. My Spec has been mentioned already as you know, and the only thing to add to that is a USB powered LCD (Fusion standard) and 2 92mm Fans running at medium speed.

If the PSU is fit and healthy and performing at levels advertised -it should have no problems running that spec.

Have a read through this thread you may find it of interest - link

Associate
Hmm, this is not dissimilar to what my GPU is doing when I play FEAR2 [at, I might add, Vsynced 60fps, constant]. It is also an XFX 4850 XXX.

Mind you, I rarely play games [and FEAR2 isn't all that anyway] so not really a massive problem. And I have slapped a TRAD + 120mm fan on it, which may have affected the warranty just a tad, so a moot point.

Minty - my 4850 idles at 37 and never goes higher than 65 under any circumstances. It's not ATI making hot chips, it's Asus using dirt cheap coolers, and jam as a thermal interface ;)

Soldato
Steven, when your computer crashes/freezes do you sometimes have a screen displaying vertical lines/banding of 2 differing shades of the same colour?

If you do, in this particular instance, the perverse furry doughnut, that is 'Furmark' is the app you should be running just to eliminate it from being the same fault as described in this thread.

It's a quick easy test and is the one app that consistently seems to freak out the 4850 XXX edition if it has this particular problem.

Last edited:
Associate
Plec, as per hte other thread, Furmark is fine on my machine, although I tend to run it windowed so I can keep tabs on the GPU through Rivatuner or GPUz - I'll try a fulscreen test later on and see what happens.

Associate
Thanks for all the help guys, especially rollins for lending me your thread ;)

Ive been holding out over the weekend hoping for a bargain on MM but nothings come up, so instead ive just ordered the XFX 260 from here, fingers crossed that will be less problematic :D

Hope the rma goes well :)

Associate
Well the 260 GTX arrived this morning, so far so good!

Had a quick bash on Far Cry and ran FurMark for about 20 mins, no problems, temps seem to level off at about 85C under load.

The biggest change though is the noise! At idle I cant even hear it with my case fans on low, ill have to give it more of a work out but so far it hasnt gotten much louder under load.

Now to see if ocuk will refund rather than replace ;)

Soldato
They should have if they ‘requested’ it to be repaid and enclosed proof of postage costs - but only if the card is diagnosed as faulty by OC's.

I've always got my p&p costs back when returning a faulty product within the 28 day period – it’s never been a problem – but you do have to request it, they won’t refund it automatically.

Back
Top Bottom