Edinburgh zoo

Soldato
Any good ?

I went when I was a kid and loved it but that was more than 2 decades ago, I'm guessing it's changed since then

Man of Honour
It was good the last time I went although that was probably a good 10 years ago now. You could always look out for Nils Olav too, he's a knight of the Norwegian Kings Guard - no idea how easy he is to recognise though as I don't think he wears any insignia to indicate his status.

Soldato
It is really good fun and can be a fantastic day out - car parking isn't too expensive for Edinburgh and it is served well with public transport as well.

Be warned it is very hilly though and there's quite a few steep paths to negotiate in order to reach the top - the view is well worth it though :)

Associate
I'd recommend public transport instead of driving - it can be a nightmare to get parked on busy days meaning you can have up to a mile to walk before you even get to the zoo.

And I second the comments about it being hilly, I've always found the best approach is to go straight for the top and work your way back down.

Soldato
Make sure you go in season. I went last December while I was in Edinburgh with the girl friend and they had most the animals inside and unable to actually see them at all. Other times I've been have been great though :)

Soldato
there's a car park at the zoo. i've never had any problem parking there in the 20+ times I've been. It's a good zoo. Can spend a good part of the day there. There's more than just animals as well, there's mazes and gardens, play areas, and activites. take some food though as the food there is really pricey.

Soldato
Penguin parade!! you have to see that, can be very amusing if lots of them want to come out (they don't have to do it but some like the walk.)

Penguin area is ace, by far my favourite. Wench loves the Red Panda's though and they're unusually active compared to ones I've seen at other Zoos, they've always been moving about when we've been there.

Lemurs are well cool too :)

Associate
Penguin parade!! you have to see that, can be very amusing if lots of them want to come out (they don't have to do it but some like the walk.)

Penguin area is ace, by far my favourite. Wench loves the Red Panda's though and they're unusually active compared to ones I've seen at other Zoos, they've always been moving about when we've been there.

Lemurs are well cool too :)

the penguin parade is brilliant as kami said if a lot of them want to come out and take the walk from the pens, unfortunately its also the opposite if they dont then theres not much to see.

Caporegime
It's good.

no its not the penguin enclusure is good but apart from that its small and on a huge hill for the most part, if you want to go a proper zoo then goto somewhere like chester zoo the size of the place more than makes up for the traveling time, edinburgh zoo could probably fit inside chester zoo 3-4 times.

when i went to edinburgh zoo around a year ago during the summer half of the enclosures didnt even apear to have any animals and the polar bear looked like it just wanted to die, actually the few animals we did see didnt look very happy and the park seemed underfunded massively.

goto chester zoo and you can tell the animals are properly looked after and they have more than enough money to run a zoo properly

Last edited:
Soldato
I went about 2weeks ago. Edinburgh Uni have set up an exhibition to study monkeys and chimps so you can go watch the experiments. I saw a monkey using a stick to get honey from a pot.
They also have a decent amount of shows going on throughout the day. Such as a falconry type show showing off a few birds and of course the penguin parade.
They recently set up a koala enclosure too.
There are a lot of empty ish enclosurers just now because the new animals are in quarantene for rabies because they have just been shipped over. The polar bear is now in Inverness.
We are getting pandas next year too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom