• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Heatwave

Associate
OP
Opened case cover and had a pedastal fan blowing into the case from one direction and thepc back blows out of the window. Gpu idle temp dropped from 73C to 66C. well at least its something.

Permabanned
lol you call this heatwave? british people never fail to give the laughs on this matter :p.

Just consider this for a second, Britain isn't a hot country so therefore the people of Britain aren't going to be used to unusually high temperates.

Add in the horrible humidity and the effect of the heat goes up.

Crazy and impossible to understand? :eek: I know!

Associate
We britains aint prepared for this kinda heat :p

on the topic though my temps seem fine although i do have 4 12mm fans and a big 20mm one on top with a fan controller for when it does get a little toasty

Permabanned
My temps are pretty bad today. Though it's supposed to be over 31' in my room at the moment, so :o.

Anyway, here's an image of speedfan temps, quite surprisingly high really, I might swap my Q6700 in this PC with my Q6600 in my server.

The Q6600 was always a nice cool chip.

Temps.png

Ok, so I've just checked my server, the Q6600's temps are about 10' lower, but to put it into perspective it has a lot less air flow, in a case with far less fans as well has having the stock cooler on it.

My Q6700 is under a thermalright ultra 120 extreme with 2 fans attached.

TempsServer.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
My cpu temps have rose about 2c, gpu idling at 47c, a jump from my usual 39c or so (60% fan setting) when gaming i knock the fan up to 100% as i use headphones.

temps.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Arclite, you could always try reseating the heatsink? If the PC is running cool and GPU heatsink clean, then I can't think of anything else that would cause such high temps.

My GTX got into the high 90's a few months ago, but after removing almost 3 years of dust from beneath the fan it was back to the low 80's :)

Last edited:
Soldato
My temps are pretty bad today. Though it's supposed to be over 31' in my room at the moment, so :o.

Anyway, here's an image of speedfan temps, quite surprisingly high really, I might swap my Q6700 in this PC with my Q6600 in my server.

So your comparing a chip that is under 0% load to one at 30-40% load?

I wouldn't swap them tbh.

Up the fan speeds...

Permabanned
temps are up by about 5 degress on my gpus, with game at full load about 85 degrees,i just upped the fan speed from 60% to 80% for the summer months;)

AMG

AMG

Soldato
yeah tell me about it I need more air flow :mad: for myself and my PC me thinks its roasting in here :( its got the the stage were i perfer to be outside sorting out my damm racing bike again -.-

Associate
OP

as i said, only sometimes but since 2 days ago i have stopped doing that.

Furthermore, my cpu temps on the oced quad sit at around 48-55C idle which is ok as fan kicks in while playing games anf temps dont go above 60C much. so i dont think i need to reseat my heatsink which i did anyway less than a month ago as per my usual cleaning.

i have been running with opened case and a fan since yesterday afternoon and temps seem to b holding up at 80c under load which is pretty cool compared to 100C earlier.

Caporegime
as i said, only sometimes but since 2 days ago i have stopped doing that.

Furthermore, my cpu temps on the oced quad sit at around 48-55C idle which is ok as fan kicks in while playing games anf temps dont go above 60C much. so i dont think i need to reseat my heatsink which i did anyway less than a month ago as per my usual cleaning.

i have been running with opened case and a fan since yesterday afternoon and temps seem to b holding up at 80c under load which is pretty cool compared to 100C earlier.

55c is to hot at idle.

What Vcore are you at on that Q6600?

Sort your PC out! The weather is not to blame

Open PC cases is a fallacy. You need a front fan that intakes air and a rear fan that sucks the hot air out.

Last edited:
Permabanned
So you're comparing a chip that is under 0% load to one at 30-40% load?

I wouldn't swap them tbh.

Up the fan speeds...

It's not really under 40% load, I wasn't doing anything other than using the internet. It was just a spike.

Point being is that while my Q6600 is around 46-48 degrees, it's using the stock intel cooler.

The Q6700 is under a thermalright ultra 120 extreme with 2 fans on the heatsink.

I know for a fact that my Q6600 runs cooler under the same conditions as I used to have it in my current PC.

Both chips are G0 steppings so should be relatively similar anyway.

Associate
OP
Im using 1.392Vcore on the cpu with an arctic pro 7 cooler. Anything lower than that vcore and i get crashes.

I do have a rear fan expelling the air out and a side case fan taking air into the case.

Im not a fan of having my case opened and i know that if thats needed then something is not right.

As i stated previously, i cleaned my cpu cooler just a month ago. But if 55C idle is too high then what else can i do? Re-apply thermal paste? Re-adjust cooler?

Any more helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Soldato
Arclite any chance you could take the side panel off, snap an image with your mobile phone (or digital camera if you prefer)? That way we can see what the airflow is like inside your case :)

http://www.tinypic.com for free and no registration required image hosting.

Back
Top Bottom