Not sure if i should buy SSD.

Associate
What exactly do you guys recommend putting on the SSD? I mean I have like 20GB of music which I browse through everyday, should you stick that kind of stuff on SSD? Would keeping it on there make accessing it be any quicker?

Should all your programs go on there too?

Caporegime
What exactly do you guys recommend putting on the SSD? I mean I have like 20GB of music which I browse through everyday, should you stick that kind of stuff on SSD? Would keeping it on there make accessing it be any quicker?

I would put OS and apps on the SSD everything else on a seperate drive.

J86

J86

Associate
I just bought an OCZ Agility, it is awesome =)

I keep my OS and a couple of my favorite games that I want to run fast on it, and the rest of my stuff (movies,mp3s) on my 2nd/3rd hdd :)

Soldato

Only Ninja Please puts his music on SSD :p
And me, sometimes, if I can't be bothered to take a portable HDD with me for my laptop.

The main benefit would be for OS/programs, but you'll see some improvement by putting your music on there. Prioritise programs over music though.

Associate
Only Ninja Please puts his music on SSD :p
And me, sometimes, if I can't be bothered to take a portable HDD with me for my laptop.

The main benefit would be for OS/programs, but you'll see some improvement by putting your music on there. Prioritise programs over music though.

lol yeah! :p

You actually would be able to access your music quicker, but that's a waste if you only have a single drive. However I do put pictures on it. You should see how fast it can load a page of thumbnails. Impressive.

SSD's are not being used as storage....yet. Mainly due to price. When they come down in price you may start to see total ssd rigs.

@ EASYRIDER

I know what you mean about the minefield, the tech changes all the time. But there are really good drives that already support trim. G Skill Falcons, and OCZ Vertex. True it doesn't support raid but that's a non issue really (for most users). I'm pretty sure if you bought one of these drives and used it for a couple of weeks and didn't like it you could always sell them for pretty much what you paid for them.

Last edited:
Associate
They are ridiculously expensive right now...Hopefully by Christmas time or maybe next March (when I will HAVE to buy Windows 7) I can get a 128GB SSD for £50 or so :p

Although to be honest if youre only putting OS and apps on it, I wouldnt imagine youd need more than 64GB

Caporegime
l

@ EASYRIDER

I know what you mean about the minefield, the tech changes all the time. But there are really good drives that already support trim. G Skill Falcons, and OCZ Vertex. True it doesn't support raid but that's a non issue really (for most users). I'm pretty sure if you bought one of these drives and used it for a couple of weeks and didn't like it you could always sell them for pretty much what you paid for them.

I think I want one of these...

Samsung PB22-J 64GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive

But can't find one in stock anywhere:(

Associate
Those are nice drives but do not support trim and will degrade. But that's really only noticable in benchmarks TBH. I can't tell a difference in doing anything. My avg time to scan drive C, 4mins 50sec.

Aren't the Corsairs basically the same thing?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Those are nice drives but do not support trim and will degrade. But that's really only noticable in benchmarks TBH. I can't tell a difference in doing anything. My avg time to scan drive C, 4mins 50sec.

Aren't the Corsairs basically the same thing?

Not sure TBH.

The sammys get good reviews.

May take alook at the Gskill falcons

Associate
Ive been running two of the 64GB Samsungs with the Samsung controller in RAID 0 for the last couple of weeks, definitely recommended, system feels much more responsive compared to the WD Black they replaced :)

Around £90 a pop seems pretty good to me.

Soldato
They are ridiculously expensive right now...Hopefully by Christmas time or maybe next March (when I will HAVE to buy Windows 7) I can get a 128GB SSD for £50 or so :p

Although to be honest if youre only putting OS and apps on it, I wouldnt imagine youd need more than 64GB

Heh fat chance :p £100, maybe. It's mostly just games that you need larger SSDs for, or maybe video editing. And for laptops, where they're used for docs/music etc too.

But will they fell as good with just 1 drive?

Just lol. :D:D:D

Soldato
OP
Ok so if i buy a 64 gb sammy ssd for os and apps and buy 500 gb 32 mb cache hd for games. Call of duty WaW tends to load slow on my seagate barracuda 500 gb 32mb cache hd i did get it from the B grade section though.

Man of Honour
I want an SSD for my laptop but I'm hovering over the buy button due to lack of TRIM and the fact that the tech is so new.

Just don't know what to do or which one to buy.

This tech is a minefield if you ask me.

TRIM is supported by OCZ and GSkill (any company that uses the same componets as OCZ or Gskill)

That is a really ambitious, unless someone risks a few million pounds to ramp up production, its gonna take a few years to get that low.

Not sure TBH.

The sammys get good reviews.

May take alook at the Gskill falcons

Falcons, IMO, are the best drives around, they beet some intel drives in certain benchmarks but still cost significantly lower. also, they are cheaper then their OCZ twins.

Back
Top Bottom