RAMDisk or USB Ready boost for SSD?

Soldato
They're too different things, though they can have the same applications. ReadyBoost is part of the OS and automatically caches some files to a flash memory device which can speed up some non-sequential reads A RAMdisk creates an actual drive in your system RAM which you then have to manage yourelf by installing apps there or setting it as a cache location. Because it uses your system RAM it's faster than a HDD for any operations.

Associate
Im currently using the dataram ramdisk with my SSD's, can be found here http://www.dataram.com/products-and-services/ramdisk/

Ive set my temp locations to use it, its a piece of cake to setup and is free for sizes <4GB :)

I tried a couple before using this one, it seemed the easiest to setup and supports Windows 7 64bit, it will also auto start without having to use images, which I prefer.

Soldato
ReadyBoost would be a step back if you have a half way decent SSD as the usb read/write would be considerably slower than your flash and there is no access speed boost - I though it was usually disabled as part of the optimization stuff people did for SSDs in Vista

Associate
OP
Im currently using the dataram ramdisk with my SSD's, can be found here http://www.dataram.com/products-and-services/ramdisk/

Ive set my temp locations to use it, its a piece of cake to setup and is free for sizes <4GB :)

I tried a couple before using this one, it seemed the easiest to setup and supports Windows 7 64bit, it will also auto start without having to use images, which I prefer.

Thanks m8. I've set up mine with a 2 Gig allocation and moved my IE Cache and Outlook Cache in there. It's Amazing!!! Windows 7 build 7264, Corsair P128 and 2 gigs of Ramdisk. Everything just flies man. Couldn't thank you enough for giving me the link.:D The first Ramdisk i've tried that works on windows 7 or maybe 2 days is not enough googling.:D

ramdisk.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom