York

Soldato
Hi there,

I'm off to York at the end of the month for my anniversary and I've not been before (as an adult) and wondered where the best places to go are?

Were staying at the Royal York Hotel, which were told is pretty much central and was wondering what is there to do around there (bar the viking centre) and where are the best places to drink and eat are due to our location?

Thanks.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
  • York Museum can kill a good few hours (and is a pretty good museum too - do call in the cafe there and have a Fat Rascal and clotted cream - yum!!)
  • Should be nice weather end of July, so a nice little river cruise can be enjoyed,
  • Stonegate and The Shambles are two lovely streets to spend a couple of hours shopping (Teddy Bear Tea Rooms is always a winner for the ladies if you're going with a partner) and the Earl Gray Tea Rooms has an amazing "Whitby Pot" meal or Mushrooms on Toast, both of which are excellent
  • Plenty of Fudge shops who offer many free samples.
  • York Minster is also a good place to kill a few hours if you're into that kind of thing, again you should be able to go up to the top of the Minster and take in the amazing view of the city and surrounding landscape,
  • Railway museum is pretty good too.
  • Or another good option is to simply start somewhere and take a walk along the walls, stopping off if there's anything you see that takes you fancy.
LOTS to do in York really, one of my fave cities in the entire world, love the place.

Associate
I live here in York now as it's so awesome.

Don't be worried AT ALL with location. Everything is within 10 mins walk. EVERYTHING.

Eat&Drink: Head to the river. Lots of bars and pubs back onto the waterfront. Few good ones (on waterfront) are Food: Orgasmic, Pitcher&Piano, Drink: The Kings Arms. Good food in town (2-3 mins away from the river...): Oscars, El Gaucho (AMAZING steak), etc.

Best to just walk around and see what tickles ya fancy.

Associate
I live here in York now as it's so awesome.

Don't be worried AT ALL with location. Everything is within 10 mins walk. EVERYTHING.

Eat&Drink: Head to the river. Lots of bars and pubs back onto the waterfront. Few good ones (on waterfront) are Food: Orgasmic, Pitcher&Piano, Drink: The Kings Arms. Good food in town (2-3 mins away from the river...): Oscars, El Gaucho (AMAZING steak), etc.

Best to just walk around and see what tickles ya fancy.

Another 'Yorkie' here and quoted for truth:D when the sun is out - can't think of a nicer place

Soldato
According to Dara O'brien theres a quaint model railyway thing near the station...

Just dont go in with a thick irish accent asking them too look after a black bag whilst your having a look about... :D

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Awesome place to visit I Loved it there.
Check out the Cathedral, After the fire years back they uncovered a load of Roman ruins that you can now access & have a nose about, It's a Must see !!!
After that you can literally just stroll about taking in the scenery/buildings/architecture, The place is a True jewel of England. :cool:

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info people, sounds like a great place to chill out and go exploring.

I'm in two minds (ok more like 99.9% sure - just needing to secure the ring) to propose as well, any magical places you could think of in York, what would be the perfect spot?

:D

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
There are about 50 perfect spots.

Steps/Grounds of the Minister.
Underneath amongst the ruins.
Big old ruin called Cliffords Tower or just down by the river, Literally untold places in York you will Never forget. :)

Soldato
OP
There are about 50 perfect spots.

Steps/Grounds of the Minister.
Underneath amongst the ruins.
Big old ruin called Cliffords Tower or just down by the river, Literally untold places in York you will Never forget. :)

Looking for something private, nothing too in your face, i think that's the kind of proposal she'd like. Intimate.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Looking for something private, nothing too in your face, i think that's the kind of proposal she'd like. Intimate.

On the waterfront perhaps?

I'm 99.9% you'll find that 'special' place to propose, the main streets will obviously be quite busy but a small alcove on the walls while no one is there, outside Ye Olde Sweetie Shoppe in the museum (on cobbled stones), many places.

Soldato
stopped in that hotel before, it's very nice with lovely gardens with water feature, perhaps this could be your place? it's smack in the centre, and literally 2 mins walk to the centre. get there early for a parking space though as theres only a few spaces :)

kinda scared me a little when I found out it was built on an old roman cemetary though :D

york dungeons is amazing!

Soldato
Thanks for the info people, sounds like a great place to chill out and go exploring.

I'm in two minds (ok more like 99.9% sure - just needing to secure the ring) to propose as well, any magical places you could think of in York, what would be the perfect spot?

:D

If you're going to propose in York, do it near the Minster at night. It is absolutely beautiful when it is all lit up.

Places to go are so many to list. For food, Oscars used to be good but isn't quite as good as it used to be. El Gaucho as has already been mentioned has fantastic food (steaks mainly, and not to be confused with the London chain as they aren't the same). Also there are a lot of good Indian restaurants like The Viceroy (on Monkgate), and a lot of nice little Italian restaurants along the way too. Don't go to Jumbo's for chinese though. It is rather rank. You can literally walk into town near the Minster and pass so many nice places for food and drink.

The weather has been fantastic over the past few days, although it is raining here at the moment but I believe that it will stop for the weekend. Having drinks down near the Ouse (Kings Arms pub, which floods every year, is a very famous York pub) is nice and it is right on the river's edge. You can then have a nice stroll all the way down the river toward Fulford, one of the outer-lying villages that is attached to York now.

As for things to do, I highly recommend the Dungeons, as well as the Castle Museum if you're interested in a bit of history.

For a night out, you can't go far wrong with a bar run down Micklegate and into town. It is pretty much bustling with everyone in York as it is a well-known crawl.

Finally, as has been said, go for a walk around the city walls. They're still in great condition and make for an interesting time as they weave all the way in and out of a lot of the main parts in the centre of York.

Your hotel is practically in the centre of York. If you're arriving by train it is about 10 seconds away from platform one (I think it is) :D

Last edited:
Soldato
York is the best city in the world!

I live there and love it. London, Brisol, Manchester, Liverpool, Paris, Dublin, Rekyjavik, cheltenham, glasgow, edinburgh, poole, birmingham, sheffield, leeds etc....you name it nowhere has overall been the better place IMO.

Everyone ive talked to said they found it amazing themselves.

Soldato
Your hotel is practically in the centre of York. If you're arriving by train it is about 10 seconds away from platform one (I think it is) :D

Platform 3 i think ? :p

Oscars is great if you can get a table, The Biltmore is great if you've got a bit more cash to spend.

You won't have a problem finding somewhere to eat so don't worry about that

Back
Top Bottom