What SSD to get ?

Associate
Hi all
well thought i would start a new post ..

Im looking to get an SSD next week ...i want a 128gb one and want to spend around £270 ish ...
On my last post i was told that the G.Skill Falcon 128GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (FM-25S2S-128GBF1) was the one to get as it has TRIM .
I was looking at the Samsung PB22-J 128GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (MMCRE28G5MXP-0VB) but was told it has not got TRIM .

Overclockers say the Samy one is best ...but guess you lot know better ;)

Is there any others worth looking at before i take the plunge ?

What about the OCZ vertex one ? i know its more money .

I was not going to get one till the price dropped and the technology moves forward but everyone on the forums has said to get one as its the bottle neck in my system ...twisted my arm lol

Any help most appreciated
Karl

Associate
LOL, been reading your last post and i was just about to make a post *exactly* like this :D.
I have no advice but i too would like to know is the best 128GB SSD the Vertex? i mean is it actually worth £40 more than the Samsung and GSkill?

Associate
not to hijack the post to much but i had just come on to ask the same as well.

but also how would i go about splitting my steam directory between 2 drives? possible to install twice and load one for games on the ssd and the other for games on the HDD?

Associate
I was having a look at them too, I notice that the maximum speeds are fairly different as well

Cache/Max Read/Max Write

G.Skill 64Mb/230/190
Vertix 64Mb/200/160
Summit 128Mb/220/200
Samsung ?/220/200

Summit/Samsun looks best on speeds...but who knows what actual performance would be like....

Associate
Oh and I missed the Corsair P128 which looks identical to Samsung, and someone even says to basically a rebadged Samsung...plus its in stock.

Associate
Ok the G.Skill Falcon is just a rebranded Vertex, so IMO the vertex is not worth the extra money. The Corsair is just a rebranded Samsung. That is the state of play. I have a Gskill and that is what I would recommend as it support TRIM, and has a wiper program and frequent firmware updates (as does the Vertex). The samsung does not support TRIM as far as I am aware.

The other option is the agility, but I wouldnt bother its not much cheaper than the Falcon and prob has inferior flash chips. Summit, Apex, Solid all suffer from stutter so stay away from them.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Hawker

Back
Top Bottom