1.5million homes to have FTTC by Summer 2010

Soldato
http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/showarticle.cfm?articleid={9cf87e6c-46cb-4fe6-b4cf-4602592b33f6}

1.5 million homes to have access by early summer 2010

BT today revealed the next locations where it will make super-fast fibre broadband available . The new locations cover more than a million homes and businesses across the UK.

Name Region / Nation
BERKHAMSTED East of England
BILLERICAY East of England
BRENTWOOD East of England
ELSTREE East of England
HAINAULT East of England
HODDESDON East of England
LEA VALLEY East of England
LOUGHTON East of England
STANFORD-LE-HOPE East of England
WALTHAM CROSS East of England
WOODFORD East of England
GLOSSOP East Midlands
HINCKLEY East Midlands
BARKING London
BARNET London
ELTHAM London
GREENWICH London
HORNCHURCH London
INGREBOURNE London
NEW SOUTHGATE London
PONDERS END London
SIDCUP London
SLADE GREEN London
STAMFORD HILL London
CHESTER-LE-STREET North East
DURHAM North East
EAST HERRINGTON North East
HETTON-LE-HOLE North East
ALTRINCHAM North West
ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE North West
CHEETHAM North West
CHORLTON North West
DENTON North West
HYDE North West
MANCHESTER EAST North West
MOSS SIDE North West
PRESTWICH North West
STALYBRIDGE North West
SWINTON, GREATER MANCHESTER North West
URMSTON North West
WALKDEN North West
WILMSLOW North West
LISBURN Northern Ireland
EDINBURGH CORSTORPHINE Scotland
EDINBURGH CRAIGLOCKHART Scotland
GLASGOW BRIDGETON Scotland
GLASGOW GIFFNOCK Scotland
BASINGSTOKE South East
DARTFORD South East
BRISTOL NORTH South West
BRISTOL WEST South West
DOWNEND South West
BARRY Wales
CAERPHILLY Wales
PENARTH Wales
BIRMINGHAM, NORTHERN West Midlands
FALLINGS PARK West Midlands
GREAT BARR West Midlands
LEAMORE West Midlands
NUNEATON West Midlands
TETTENHALL West Midlands
WEDNESBURY West Midlands
WALSALL West Midlands
ARMLEY Yorkshire
CASTLEFORD Yorkshire
HEADINGLEY Yorkshire
LOW MOOR Yorkshire
PONTEFRACT Yorkshire
SHIPLEY Yorkshire

This is in addition to pilot areas. Be careful in what contracts you take out. A significant area of North and East London is now covered which I assume would make up a large proportion of the homes.

Hopefully, O2/Be will offer unlimited broadband at these speeds making virgin's caps hugely uncompetitive.

edit:

Here are the previous pilot exchanges

* Chelmsford - Essex
* Watford - Hertfordshire
* Hemel Hempstead - Hertfordshire
* Leagrave - Bedfordshire
* Luton - Bedfordshire
* Canonbury - London
* Chingford - London
* Edmonton - London
* Enfield - London
* Highams Park - London
* Tottenham - London
* Thamesmead - London
* Woolwich - London
* Bury - Greater Manchester
* Didsbury - Greater Manchester
* Failsworth - Greater Manchester
* Heaton Moor - Greater Manchester
* Oldham - Greater Manchester
* Rusholme - Greater Manchester
* Belfast Balmoral - Belfast
* Dean - Edinburgh
* Glasgow Halfway - Glasgow
* Glasgow Western - Glasgow Scotland
* Cardiff - Cardiff
* Taffs Well - Rhondda Cynon Taf
* Halifax - West Yorkshire
* Pudsey - West Yorkshire
* Calder Valley - West Yorkshire

Last edited:
Associate
bit of a laugh all this really.

would seriously be a morale breaker if they said what they are actually doing

BT: oh yes we are going to roll out the technology "virgin media/ntl:telewest/cable and wireless/whatever other cable cos" have been running for the last 10 years.

still i am certain that the HFC network can carry more than some old non twisted copper even from 200meters away

thinking about it then all the equipment will have to be in the street cabs. unless there going to do it like vm with one big fiber cab and then lower spliced cabinets. will this also mean the transportation of phonecalls over to fiber all the way from the cabinet? if so.. i see them having problems with the reliability front. with no 90VDC supply in the exchange no more

Last edited:
Caporegime
BT aren't doing HFC like the cablecos. They're doing FTTC, with no broadcast segment between dozens of homes but a dedicated copper pair.

Associate
cable have had fttc since 2000 well probably a long time before that aswell. different delivery on the "last mile" and its not like dedicated fiber anyway will be like one fiber connection to the cab split perhaps 50-100 ways to copper.

can see virgin perhaps plucking up some moneys to start some serious teaming on the 50meg channels get rid of the 20 or so old analogs to generate another 1gbit of bandwidth for the area.

either that or just trial some full fiber connections like FIOS in some ubrs on high subs such select few in stoke on trent on 50meg;P

Caporegime
cable have had fttc since 2000 well probably a long time before that aswell. different delivery on the "last mile" and its not like dedicated fiber anyway will be like one fiber connection to the cab split perhaps 50-100 ways to copper.

NTL also had debts of $18 billion around 2000 and had to go into Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Again, Hybrid Fibre-Coax is a different kettle of fish.
I didn't say a dedicated fibre, I said a dedicated copper pair rather than the shared coax run that's used with HFC to connect dozens of premises.

Soldato
OP
Around 10% of the 1.5m homes will have FTTP. Which would potentially support upto 100mbps (1000mbps in the future).

However, I'd guess that those homes with FTTP will only have the upto 40mbps service offered to them by ISPs at first.

Last edited:
Soldato
Around 10% of the 1.5m homes will have FTTP. Which would potentially support upto 100mbps (1000mbps in the future).

However, I'd guess that those homes with FTTP will only have the upto 40mbps service offered to them by ISPs at first.

Only upto 40mb :rolleyes:

How will they cope with only 40mb when most people only get 4.5mb lol

I do feel sorry for them. :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Only upto 40mb :rolleyes:

How will they cope with only 40mb when most people only get 4.5mb lol

I do feel sorry for them. :rolleyes:

The thing is surely the distance from the cabinet should be a lot more uniform making it easier? The same way virgin media can pretty much always provide the advertised speed.

Soldato
bit of a laugh all this really.

would seriously be a morale breaker if they said what they are actually doing

BT: oh yes we are going to roll out the technology "virgin media/ntl:telewest/cable and wireless/whatever other cable cos" have been running for the last 10 years.

still i am certain that the HFC network can carry more than some old non twisted copper even from 200meters away

thinking about it then all the equipment will have to be in the street cabs. unless there going to do it like vm with one big fiber cab and then lower spliced cabinets. will this also mean the transportation of phonecalls over to fiber all the way from the cabinet? if so.. i see them having problems with the reliability front. with no 90VDC supply in the exchange no more

Of course Virgin Media's supply of the net into people's homes is definately the model to follow isn't it. :confused:

Considering their constant throttling, ridiculous FUP and the fact that when they roll something out its only to about 45% of the country.

Soldato
Never mind Stretton, I can't believe Burton hasn't got some kind of fibre based inet with the industry here and the 30k homes connected to the exchange.
Inet outside of the town centre is poor as most of the lines are made of aluminium like Winshill, Stapenhill and so on, it's to do with the cables that go via the bridges over the trent.

Here in swadlincote the lines are mostly made of copper its why allot of people up here get a good connection even at distance.

Back
Top Bottom