If the charges aren't dropped....

Caporegime
Oh god the irony. :/

Respect isn't a given. The mere fact that someone has a certain occupation doesn't entitle them to my immediate respect. It has to be earnt. Teachers are just people like me.

Yes it does, when I was in school, you respected your teachers, any form of trouble got you reprimanded.

Sadly this is what is lacking in todays scoiety, young kids have no respect for people.

So you don't respect police officers? Do they have to earn your respect?

Last edited:
Soldato
That's fear, not respect.

I think most teachers would take fear if it stopped the trouble makers disrupting their class rooms.

I think a lot of kids (especially in lower sets when it's grouped by results) would do a lot better if they were all made to shut up and get on with their work.

Once they've got past being wardens and can do some teaching, maybe they'll earn respect if they're good at it, that's just a bonus.

Associate
Yes it does, when I was in school, you respected your teachers, any form of trouble got you reprimanded.
Again, that's fear.

So you don't respect police officers? Do they have to earn your respect?
I fear the consequences of breaking the law, hence why I don't go out and steal stuff instead of buying it. My respect for police officers depends completely on the individual in question.

I think a lot of kids (especially in lower sets when it's grouped by results) would do a lot better if they were all made to shut up and get on with their work.
When people in my school got told to be quiet and just work, a lot less work got done. Again, this is just my experience of it.

Man of Honour
^^ dmpoole, i dont think corporal punishment would work really, i can say that it certainly wouldnt have worked on me, not wanting to get suspended and being shouted at is one thing but i cannot control myself if anyone hits me. Not to mention a lock knife costs £5, a belt buckle blade costs £25 and a pen/knife costs £15...

It wouldn't work but it used to.
Back in my day there was also very rough pupils but they always respected the teacher.
It was a different era.

To all the young ones who keep using the word FEAR, you had to live through that period.
I never FEARED teachers but would expect punishment if I spoke in class.
I've never seen a caned student actually cry because it smarts more than anything.
Some of you must think it's like the film The Passion of The Christ and teachers are cutting deep holes in your arse.
Some of my worst teachers for caning were amazing if you followed the classroom rules and fridays were slack days where you could talk as much as you wanted if you had done your work during the week.

i didnt say i was scared, just there was no need to have a 1hour detention every single day, i wanted to go home and play games, and go home with friends and talk etc, not go home late by myself.

That was actually the thing I feared - detention because it was a 10 mile journey across the City on 2 buses for me and I'd be all alone.
When the teacher asked me to decide between detention & cane I always chose the cane.

Last edited:

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I fear the consequences of breaking the law, hence why I don't go out and steal stuff instead of buying it.

I don't like my own things being stolen hence I don't steal other peoples things. To not do it just because you fear getting caught doesn't say an awful lot pleasent about your character.

Permabanned
OP
Chimerical, by just quoting part of my post you've either totally missed the point or taken it out of context.

It was in reply to the need for Missing.String to show respect for authority figures as a child (he's 15) and not necessarily getting the same level of respect back.

Associate
like or not, corporal punishment had its uses, there was more respect in society, it seems to me that nowadays that nothing is off limits,
kids beating up the elderly, stabbing passers by,
and to put the cherry on the cake, the litigation culture.
eg. its not my son's fault he killed someone, or took drugs, he was bored, didnt have anywhere to hang out at night blah blah.

its not my daughters fault shes up the duff at 12,,,,the school didnt tell her about sex,,,,,wtf

need i go on

100% agree with this, seems it has been easier to just excuse this behaviour, with society almost holding the older generation to blame. I think our increasing overall wealth, both in terms of money and free time means we have lost the occupation of our hours with chores and labour - leading to boerdom without stimulation.

[Did I really say that last bit?:D]

Different oppertunities and responsibilities 20-30 years ago, and also a greater sense of responsibility for one's own actions, perhaps because there were more deterrents, police would give a cheeky teenager a clip round the ear, take him home to parents, explain behaviour and watch whilst child received second clip from parent, child would think twice about being cheeky next time, we've lost these simple deterrents.

flame away;)

Soldato
Chimerical, by just quoting part of my post you've either totally missed the point or taken it out of context.

It was in reply to the need for Missing.String to show respect for authority figures as a child (he's 15) and not necessarily getting the same level of respect back.

I realise what the context is but I don't understand why you should either automatically show respect for authority figures nor why you shouldn't expect it back if you behave accordingly.

Just because someone is older or has a certain position in society doesn't give way to entitlement.

Associate
Honestly, how did you treat your teachers?
Anecdote time?

Some teachers, like my languages teacher and science teachers, were great; they actively taught in lessons, trying to involve people, and people had fun but still did work.

However (I'm gonna use my old example here) my maths teacher really didn't give a damn and just told us to do questions from a textbook. That particular situation reached boiling point when he tried to give me a detention for skipping two questions that I didn't understand on some homework (there were 30 or so). I didn't go to it because I felt that was unfair and consequently he started yelling at me the next day for "undermining his authority" and accusing me of having no respect for his elders. I tried to calmly state that he hadn't done anything to earn my respect then be basically went purple and started ranting. :/

Either way, he suspended me from my maths lessons for a week until I talked to my old maths teacher (he was great, taught me for the first 2 years of comprehensive) and he helped get me back in the lesson. Needless to say I got lots of evil glares after that. :p

Hope that provides the insight you were looking for.

Man of Honour
Wouldn't really send out the right message if the charges were dropped though would it.... "It's OK to start cleaving chunks out of your pupils if they **** you off and you've got a few good character references from others".

At the end of the day this is why we have courts of law, he's been CHARGED with an offence, not CONVICTED of one.

Soldato
So basically you behaved like a spoilt brat and then went crying to momma when your bluff got called. You're going to struggle in the real world with that sort of attitude mate.

Or the teacher was an over-reactionary fool. If someone flips out over a missed detention and being brought into question by someone younger than them, then I'd argue that it is they who have difficultly operating in this so-called 'real world'.

Soldato
Oh god the irony. :/

Respect isn't a given. The mere fact that someone has a certain occupation doesn't entitle them to my immediate respect. It has to be earnt. Teachers are just people like me.

That is where the problem lies, because you dont respect authority or the fact someone has chosen to use their time to educate people like you, so that you may have a better life.

Respecting your elders should not be a given right for either party, it should be a mutual understanding.

I get the same crap in my field of work, people giving abuse to people because they cant do anything, yet what people fail to realise is 99% of the people i work with are volunteers. Young people do not respect anything now because they know they can get away with pretty much anything, its because of this that society in general is on its way down the crapper.

Back
Top Bottom