PS3 or Stand alone Blueray player?

Associate
I tried the Media center route with a Blue ray drive but I've never been happy with it, mainly because of its inability to output digital sound over its SPDIF out. I can't be bothered to spend ever more money on it, so it's going.

I'm not interested one bit in playing console games I just want something to play blueray titles.

Whats the best route to go? A PS3 or save some cash and get a stand alone player, such as a Sony BDPS350. Does the PS3 have any benefits?

Also my understanding is that it's sensible to look for a player thats has HDMI v1.3 as a minimum for the best audio output, is that correct?

Tom.

Soldato
Are you interested at all in playing games on the PS3?

With regards to the v1.3 I guess it depends on two things:
1) How much of an audiophile you are.
2) What the price difference between 1.3 and lower is.

Though personally I don't think there is that much difference in price and players can get firmware updates etc...

Associate
V1.3 just allows bitstreaming...your amp will decode it rather than decoding and sending as LPCM that is decoded in the player. Not sure how that has anything to do with audiophiles?

Pretty sure all decent (i.e. Sony, Panny etc) players will have HDMI 1.3.

Soldato
PS3 is a fantastic upscaling DVD player, which I find to be a real benefit. That said, if you're just after blu-ray, and wouldn't game on the PS3 either, I'd get a Blu-Ray player and save some cash.

xrs

xrs

Associate
Standalone.
What is your price range?
I have just bought myself a Denon DVD-2500BT and its fantastic.
If you are happy to spend circa £300 then the Panasonic BDP-51FD

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd normally recommend a standalone, but it's hard to knock the PS3.

You say you won't use it for gaming but at least you could if you wanted to.

Associate
OP
I'm happy to spend the money on a PS3, but if I was going down the stand alone player route I wouldn't want to spend more than £150, the rest can go towards a new receiver.

I've got a Yamaha RVX 357 which I bought about 3/4 years ago, it has 2 optical and 1 coaxial input. Would I be able to connect either a PS3 or stand alone player to it and enjoy the audio in DD 5.1 or DTS for now?

Soldato
I'd normally recommend a standalone, but it's hard to knock the PS3.

You say you won't use it for gaming but at least you could if you wanted to.

Exactly what I would say as well

I initially had a PS3 when it first came out and was very happy indeed with it.

Now however I have a Panasonic BD35 (which is equiv I believe to the Sony OP mentioned) and they are MUCH better esp if you are interested in HiDef sound

Caporegime
Problem is that if youre not going to game then a good stand-alone looks the mutts nuts and so much neater/tidier. Personally id say unless youre REALLY not sure if you want to game, then get a nice stand-alone. I'd give my left nut for a good Pioneer.

Soldato
If you have no intention of gaming the just get the stand alone player. The PS3 is an OK Blu Ray player but even next to the £150 Sony stand alone unit there is quite a bit of difference in picture quality.

Again its not a bad DVD player but nothing amazing, I have a £250 Panasonic DVD/HDR unit and it does a better job with upscalling DVDs then the PS3.

One other issue worth noting is that as of the last time I checked you could only output the sound from the PS3 via Optical or HDMI, not both. I found it damn anoying as I had the HDMI directly to my TV and Opticle to my AV amp. It left me with no sound through the TV when I didnt want to use my AV system. Well not unless I sat faffing with menu options.

If you are going to game then the PS3 is a great bit of kit, it does a lot of things well.

Soldato
Now however I have a Panasonic BD35 (which is equiv I believe to the Sony OP mentioned) and they are MUCH better esp if you are interested in HiDef sound

Pardon my ignorance but how is it better than the PS3 when the PS3 also has/does HD audio?

I know the PS3 does the encoding/decoding internally but how does that make a difference? Could you actually notice the difference in sound quality?

And if there is a noticeable difference i bet you would be hard pushed to hear it on a sub £1000 or run of the mill HD Amp?

Are load times not slower on standalones compared to the PS3?

Soldato
If you have no intention of gaming the just get the stand alone player. The PS3 is an OK Blu Ray player but even next to the £150 Sony stand alone unit there is quite a bit of difference in picture quality. .

the bdp 350 i presume you mean? i cant find any decent reviews backing that up. as a bluray player, everything ive seen puts them neck and neck with bluray and rightly so, with sd material its a different matter but thats not the discussion. the only review i did find that agreed with you also mentioned that the ps3 couldnt handle blacks properly and that the 350 was far better.....he was using a 46w2000 lcd, which is hardly the last word in black performance as it is:rolleyes:

Pardon my ignorance but how is it better than the PS3 when the PS3 also has/does HD audio?

people say the ps3's decoding is a little soft around the edges and that the bass performance isnt there, or that bitstream has more inpact and involving surround channels. that could be down to a number of things. if i had a bitstreaming player id put them side by side and try this myself, because im convinced its down to the setup and nothing else.

Last edited:
Soldato
PS3 is a extremely good Bluray player, but if you are only going to use it for Bluray, whats the point in spending more on it than a standalone?
It just seems a.................. stupid question (no offense).

Associate
. The PS3 is an OK Blu Ray player but even next to the £150 Sony stand alone unit there is quite a bit of difference in picture quality.

Are you sure ?, Ive got both a PS3 and a Sony BDPS350 and on my Pioneer Plasma Id be hard pushed to tell them apart.

OP as your not gaming on the PS3 it makes sence to go for a stand alone player, its not worth spending extra on the PS3 for functions your not going to use.

Soldato
Are you sure ?, Ive got both a PS3 and a Sony BDPS350 and on my Pioneer Plasma Id be hard pushed to tell them apart.

OP as your not gaming on the PS3 it makes sence to go for a stand alone player, its not worth spending extra on the PS3 for functions your not going to use.

Yep, pretty sure its that model. My mate bought one after he sold his PS3, he brought it round mine and with both that and my PS5 playing the new Batman film you could really see a difference, espcally on the Imax sections.

That along with me doing the same test with Kung Fu panda on DVD, PS3 against my Panasonic DVD HDR unit and the panny coming out on top made me decode to sell my PS3, I just wassnt using it for games. Just decdiding what Standalone unit to by now, Panny or Pioneer.

Soldato
Ii is amazing how so many people think that the PS3 is just a Bluray player and a games machine.

How about its ability to play AVIs?
How about its web browser?
How about its ability to show photo slideshow?

If all you want is a BR player, then fine get a stand-alone, but if you want flexibility to do other things without using a PC, then get a PS3.

Soldato
I tried the Media center route with a Blue ray drive but I've never been happy with it, mainly because of its inability to output digital sound over its SPDIF out.

Is that just because the blu-ray software that comes with the drive only outputs in stereo over SPDIF? If it's just a case of having the right software to get DD/DTS over SPDIF then it'll be a whole load cheaper than buying a standalone or PS3. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom