Windows 7 Preorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
a) companies can do what they want. I expect teh ones offering HP at £70 are the special pre-order. The ones offering at over a £100 are the august special pr-order prices. might as well start offering it now as they haven't got any of eh July special ofers left.

I don't see how you could think it is misleading at all. they have done exactly what they said they would.

ANd it's more than a few hours, it's still available now.

They can do what they want, but so can I. So if I wanted to pirate it as a way of protest then that's my perogative.

And they've not done what they said they would. They've put up two dates during which you can preorder at a special price and then promptly not allocated anywhere near enough stock to even cover ONE DAY.

I mean seriously, Microsoft would have known how fast it would have run out. So why claim it's between those two dates? They knew there was zero chance of them even fulfilling a fraction of them.

That's where my problem lies with it.

:confused::confused: 3 places still as it at £44.99

I'm talking about the Microsoft store - i.e straight from the source itself.

Gee how are they missleading.

Advertised dates and limited stock as well as this offer would not last.
Yep they have done ad followed all three of them.

Yes, they advertised it's limited stock. Yes they advertised dates. What they didn't do was be totally honest. By giving a pre-order window of almost a month they gave the impression that there would be more than a few boxes that can't even cover a day's worth of trade.

Soldato
I've ordered from two separate places. If both places manage to deliver me a copy (unlikely), I'll either use the spare copy on my laptop or sell it to a friend for £50.

Man of Honour
Yes, they advertised it's limited stock. Yes they advertised dates. What they didn't do was be totally honest. By giving a pre-order window of almost a month they gave the impression that there would be more than a few boxes that can't even cover a day's worth of trade.

That is not misleading and it's more than a few boxes and it is still available. Just get over it.

Soldato
Nope, I know i'm in the right but I understand that in this forum anything anti-Microsoft is wrong.

I'll leave it at that, this is going nowhere. Ignorance = Bliss eh? ;)

Man of Honour
no ignorance and nothing to do with MS. I could be talking about any company and I would say the same thing. However I get the impression you might see it differently.

Soldato
I'm talking about the Microsoft store - i.e straight from the source itself.

Not really, at the bottom of the MS Store page it says:

"Powered by arvato distribution GmbH, an independent reseller of Microsoft"

Anyway, it would definitely surprise me if MS didn't make an announcement to say "Due to the huge demand, we've added more units to the pre-order offer."

In any case, there are still places where it's seemingly available, so I don't know what you're upset about.

Soldato
its simple, from July 15th 2009 until August 9th 2009 each place including MS have a set number of stock at £4x.xx when that stock have all been pre ordered then the price will go up to the next point then when all that stock as been pre ordered it'll go up to full price.

that why it says while stocks last, stocks are not lasting so the price will go up to the next point

Last edited:
Associate
You can still pre order from other places, considering I ordered it at 11:00 this morning for £44.97.

Yes you can order ... but at least one of the places I looked at were saying that they would charge you "once they had established that they had stock to fulfill the order".

Associate
I just don't get it why people are moaning and pointing their fingers at MS which is really unfair. It's a brilliant bargain and with the economy downturn and whatnot it's not really a big surprise seeing them flying off the shelf. If you don't dig around and do some research then it's your bloody fault of being a lazy arse and it serves you right of not getting a copy at such low price. I've just checked one minute ago and there're at least two places still having HP and Pro for £44.99 and £89.99 inc.

Soldato
Yes but like i've said in another post some shops will keep on allowing you to order even though the number of orders they have outstrips supply.

The site I have bought it from clearly states that I won't be charged until dispatch but this works both ways until I'm charged they can easily back out of the deal and say sorry sold out the day before it's due to be sent.

Soldato
This whole pre-order thing confuses so many people and I don't understand why.
There are some supposedly intelligent people on both this forum and others that just cannot get their heads around what Microsoft are doing and how the pricing is working.

In an attempt to try and get the point over, lets look at Home Premium as the only version here.
It will satisfy the need of the majority of users.
Now the best way to understand how the pricing works is to remember that the price of Windows 7 Home Premium in October, on release day is £150.

So - just to get the point over, Windows 7 Home Premium costs £150.

Now, prior to this release date Microsoft are offering two rounds of "pre-orders".
Now the clue here is in the name - these are pre-orders.
You make the order long before the product is released and because you're buying early you are being offered a discount.
Remember, Home Premium costs £150, so anything less is discounted.

The first round of discounts is what is happening now.
This is the first opportunity to pre-orer Windows 7 Home Premium.
This is a limited time offer - limited either until the 10th of August or until all alocated stocks are used up (whicher comes sooner).
At this moment in time there is no "physical stock" of these items.
However Microsoft will have decided just how many they are willing to release at this price.
Once this allocation has run out then you'll need to wait for this second discounted period.

The second discounted period will enable you to buy Home premium at £79.99
Once again, this is doscounted from the full price of £150.
This discounted price again will almost certainly be limited - I'm sure MS will have put a bigger allocation aside for the slightly more expensive option.
However at some point that deal will stop too - and the price will go up.

Blame who you like here, but Microsoft did make it clear each discounted stage was limited and urged people to get in fast.
Add in the posts from numerous people on different forums buying for the sake of buying (buying 3 copies when they really only need 1, buying 10 copies to make profit).
Maybe if MS had found a way of limiting it to one per person....

As I have said before, even at £150 this OS is an absolute bargain.
At £150 for a retail OS that can be used for the lifetime (3yrs+).
It works out at leass than £1 per week to use the operating system - there is not a snowballs chance in hell of you being able to defend piracy of said OS due to cost.

Soldato
Their is 2 places i know of that are doing it at £45 thou they dont say if its 32/64bit thats only whats stopping me from pre-ordering it >.<

Man of Honour
I don't think there's anything wrong with people buying 2/3 copies. We'll sell on or two on in the near future yes but still at a discounted price compared to retail and heck, because the proceeds will go toward an SSD now in my scenario everybody is a winner :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom