The Samsung OmniaHD i8910 ... this NEEDS it's own thread.

Soldato
Guys, got the phone today, but would like to flash it. Can anybody point me to the right link for getting it all up to date? Had a look through the thread but cant find it, must be missing something!

http://rapidshare.com/files/2469515...g_Tool_v1.52_CODE__CSC__CP_-For_Main-Line.exe

&

http://rapidshare.com/files/254105681/I8910_XXIF7_Italy_Germany_Netherlands.rar

Once you've done that using the Italian FW you can use the latest PC Studio (available from the Samsung site) to update to the latest with higher quality audio. This will also unbrand it.

Associate
Cheapest option i have seen to get this phone seems to be from orange webpage; 42*12= £504. I actually end up paying £45 more if I upgrade as a current customer. I pay £35/m currently. Is there any point of me trying to reason with retentions? From my experience they don't seem to follow logic, instead, they simple have points and deals they can offer you with little room for maneuver.

Associate
Should have said, if it's so bad then you can do me a better deal than £45 a month!

Mobiles.co.uk

1200 mins Any
Network Anytime + 500 Texts
+ Unlimited calls to landlines
+ 500MB Data
Free Phone

8 months half price by redemption, means it comes to £35 a month.

Thinking of going for this deal but got a question on the 500mb date part. I don't plan on using the internet much but can anyone give me an idea of how much i'd be able to get out of this?

Soldato
ok guys, got the phone on friday and here's my mini review, posted from the phone.
Seems to be a nifty piece of kit, but its not perfect. The browser seems pretty sluggish, it isnt as slick as the iphone and considering the phone is supposed to be so powerful, its not very responsive when scrolling and feels a bit disappointing.

The on screen keyboard for typing messages and whatnot is very fiddly, and lacks autocorrection and the space above the keyboard is too small. Also just found a bug whilst writing this, in that you cannot move the cursor back through the text once you've used a carriage return. Annoying.

The screen is excellent, and i was showing it off to my mates last night by playing Commando at the bar whilst waiting to be served. Looks very, very good. Camera is also great and seems to handle low-light conditions well.

the rest of the phone is fairly good, but it doesn't hang together as well as the iphone. Email is very basic, no html support, and it only handles 999 emails, so on my google acciunt i cant actually get to my latest emails as i have 2000 or so in the inbox. Is there any other apps to sort this out?

Overall it is good, but for the os and some niggles. Ill prob come back to writing more a bit later as i'd really like to get more out of this phone than im currently getting.

Associate
From gsmarena:
Samsung also announced that the Samsung i8910 Omnia HD should start selling from 1 August at a recommended retail price of 540 euro. The first samples (mostly carrier-customized units) of the monster-spec'd Symbian handset made their way to the market back in May but right after its launch mass production was stopped in order for some i-dotting and t-crossing to take place. Apparently there were some issues with the Omnia HD that Samsung wanted to get fixed before the handset received wider availability.

Looks like Samsung did a little tweaking on the phone. Ill wait for this next batch

Soldato
I wonder what the hell that means...

Flashed the firmware to the Italian unbranded then updated. Looking good, but I'm a little disappointed with the lack of omggoodies. A few questions,

1- this signing business... what's this about? What is the ultimate goal, is it just to be able to install third party apps? And if so, whyyyy is it such a hassle? Should it not be something built in and easy to achieve?
1a- In order to sign, I need to provide a Chinese website with my IMEI number. Is this not a tad unsafe?

2-With the lack of Orange fw I've noticed the disappearance of my SMS/Missed call notifier after unlocking the screen. It used to be an awesome little widget which showed me who had rung/sent me a message. now I get a generic "1 Missed Call/New Message" "Show" option. That sucks. Are there any third party widgets I can get my paws on?

3-WIDGETS, primarily the lack of them. That widget search widget SUCKS unless you want to find out the weather or have an awesome CALCULATOR (wooo)

3a- The N97 has auto updating Facebook widgets on the home screen. Since it's the same damn OS, would these be possible on the HD? I doubt they exist since the constant underwhelming doesn't look like ending.

4-Meritable mention- Pressing stopon my browser to stop loading a 3mb page when the button has loaded and IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME now tells the HD to forget everything and to close the browser. That gets on my moobs, oh so much.

Help?

Associate
Bluetooth Problem

i have recently got this phone, but i am having trouble with the bluetooth, the first ywo days it would allow me to connect to my old phone and i could transfer files between them. now how i have press accept file transfer on the i8910 it wont start recieving the file, any clues?

by the way i have changed some of the wlan settings so that its range is reduced to save battery, this should not affect bluetooth surely.

it has not been debranded

Soldato
Gotta say I agree with the lack of applications for this phone. I've firmware'd and updated it with PC Studio to the latest version, and there's just really not much to do on it! It is making me seriously consider returning it this week and getting the iPhone 3G s.

There doesn't seem to be much on Samsung's official applications website, and I'm not sure where else to get anything from so it seems I've hit a bit of a wall with this phone all ready. The iPhone appeals because there are so many apps on it, and the Samsung is the complete opposite. Shame.

Soldato
It's true, there are millions of S60 apps out there, the difference compared to the iPhone is that they are not in one central "app store", due to the open source nature of the apps, most are best found through forums or similar.

Associate
I've got a small problem with mine. I have flashed the firmware to the italian one. When i selesct update on the samsung studio it says no phone connected. I have conected the phone via pc suite and it is reconised until i try and update. Anyone point me in the right direction as to what i'm doing wrong.

Soldato
the nokia app store(or whatever they're calling it), is it only a available on the nokia phones or is there a way to get it on other non-nokia symbianos phones?

Soldato
I've got a small problem with mine. I have flashed the firmware to the italian one. When i selesct update on the samsung studio it says no phone connected. I have conected the phone via pc suite and it is reconised until i try and update. Anyone point me in the right direction as to what i'm doing wrong.

Not sure mate. I had some problems as I wasn't logged in as an administrator when I first tried (doing it on work lappy), but apart from that it's worked fine.

Anybody else found that Orange deem this site as inappropriate, via Orange Safeguard? Just tried visiting this site and I have to ring up to deactivate it!

Soldato
I don't think i've come on here through 3g on my touch hd, I turned off the safeguard recently through my account online(there's an option to change the safeguard setting). might re-activate it some time and test it, no luck on the job hunting so this'll give me something to while away the boring days sat at home.

Associate
Not sure mate. I had some problems as I wasn't logged in as an administrator when I first tried (doing it on work lappy), but apart from that it's worked fine.

Anybody else found that Orange deem this site as inappropriate, via Orange Safeguard? Just tried visiting this site and I have to ring up to deactivate it!

I have the same problem. Classed as an 18 plus site. lol

Associate
Hey guys, I found a solution to the stop button problem (that closes the broweser)
just enter another address, something that doesnt exist (whatever.nett - yes, 2 t's)
then it will give a gateway time out, and it will stop loading the current page.

That pretty much does the job

Soldato
Hey guys, I found a solution to the stop button problem (that closes the broweser)
just enter another address, something that doesnt exist (whatever.nett - yes, 2 t's)
then it will give a gateway time out, and it will stop loading the current page.

That pretty much does the job

Could make it a bookmark I guess, right at the top of the list. It's a very silly thing to overlook when developing the browswer...

Associate
Another firmware update to be released soon.

Samsung Omnia HD soon released a new update that will further improve the performance of OMNIA HD. Among the improvements made, one relating to the multitasking. The update will be available through PC Studio 7. At the moment we can not be more specific on the timing: you continue to follow us.

http://www.facebook.com/SamsungOmniaHD?ref=mf

:)

Back
Top Bottom