One of the saddest things I've read...

Soldato
From what my girlfriend has told me, who knew him and went to school with him, so she has been deeply upset and attended the funeral in Reading. His parents are coping fairly well, but behind closed doors everyone is different.

As for Cyrus he died doing what he always wanted to do, if he could have been in the army from the age of 5 then he would have been.

Associate
The spelling is/was irrelevant! I hope, and by reading all the RIPs I think we have, we all plainly understood the thoughts this brave man (and possible role model) wanted to leave those he loved.

I for one, would be a very proud dad of Cyrus - even if I did get such a letter (perhaps more so). I don't think we give our front line guys and gals, the support they truly deserve.

RIP:( to a very brave and articulate man.

Last edited:
Soldato
No 19 year old should never have to have a letter like that prepared :(

The kid was 3 years younger than me FFS, should never ever happen

RIP brave lad

Indeed and I cant believe some people have actually mentioned the spelling, wtf is wrong with people.

All I can do is feel empathy for these soldiers and families, my cousin was very nearly killed in Iraq by an RPG that hit his land rovers wheel, another lad sat next to him lost a leg.

Anyone here donated towards Help for Heroes? Or is there something else?

Associate
Very touching, for me the poor spelling adds to the sentiment of the letter, it shows it was written from the heart and not from the head.

An old colleague of mine lost his son over there a few weeks ago also :(, they have a tough job to do over there and dont get enough recognition or pay for the work they do.

smr

smr

Soldato
Touching letter, brave man. RIP.

For the record, not all of us are so lucky in being able to spell correctly. A lot of it comes down to genes and also environmental education.

Maybe he wasn't read to much when he was younger, maybe his schooling wasn't of a very good level. Perhaps he even had dyslexia or something. Who knows? It doesn't matter.

I think certain things like reading and writing well are inherited from your parents. I myself am very fortunate in being able to spell well and write coherently, and I put 99 percent of that down to my Dad. He is an excellent practitioner of the English Language and because of him (and my inherited genes) I was able to go to University and read English Literature.

Maybe this poor lad just wasn't as lucky in that respect.

Besides, the bravery and sheer courage in being able to write a letter like that knowing that your life is shortly about to end is to a degree incomprehensible.

He fought for people like you and I, ensuring that we live in a world free of oppression, why pick on a person's spelling letalone his spelling????

Associate
Touching letter, brave man. RIP.

For the record, not all of us are so lucky in being able to spell correctly. A lot of it comes down to genes and also environmental education.

Maybe he wasn't read to much when he was younger, maybe his schooling wasn't of a very good level. Perhaps he even had dyslexia or something. Who knows? It doesn't matter.

I think certain things like reading and writing well are inherited from your parents. I myself am very fortunate in being able to spell well and write coherently, and I put 99 percent of that down to my Dad. He is an excellent practitioner of the English Language and because of him (and my inherited genes) I was able to go to University and read English Literature.

Maybe this poor lad just wasn't as lucky in that respect.

Besides, the bravery and sheer courage in being able to write a letter like that knowing that your life is shortly about to end is to a degree incomprehensible.

He fought for people like you and I, ensuring that we live in a world free of oppression, why pick on a person's spelling letalone his spelling????

Absolutely agree, his bravery to do this is beyond words, so spelling doesn't matter

Back
Top Bottom