2tb Internal PS3. O.O

Soldato
ive been using an external drive as the boot drive in my ps3 for about 2 years now i think. at the time it was worth it because the drives were higher capacity and a fair chunk quicker....and a LOT cheaper. now there's really no need at all unless you absolutely HAVE to have 500gb+ of internal storage......

....and if you needed that, id question the use of the ps3 as the media server of choice for that music and film collection.

when the 500gb wd blue's drop in price, i may well just get rid of the external caddy :)

V1N

V1N

Associate
Better streaming from pc to ps3 using PS3 MEDIA SERVER. You can play MKV files only by streaming through media server.

Whilst I agree that streaming from a PC is far better, because you can use your PCs folder structure for a start, you can most certainly play MKV files (after MKV2VOB) from any device, be it a DVD, USB drive, or direct from the PS3 HDD.

Vin.

Soldato
Whilst I agree that streaming from a PC is far better, because you can use your PCs folder structure for a start, you can most certainly play MKV files (after MKV2VOB) from any device, be it a DVD, USB drive, or direct from the PS3 HDD.

Vin.

Encoding mkv files can take hours sometimes and thats with a pretty good pc.

Soldato

You shouldn't have to do any encoding with MKV2VOB, all it is doing is extracting the video from the container. This shouldn't take long at all.
The only time you would re-encode is when the file within the MKV isn't in a format the PS3 can play.

V1N

V1N

Associate

I mentioned it, because of the many many hundreds of MKV files I've got through, 720p TV eps mainly, I've never ever had one that had to encode anything.

It just demuxes and remuxes it, takes maybe 60 secs, and it's good to go on the PS3, with no loss of quality whatsoever.

This is why I don't bother with the transcoding apps, I want the PS3 to do the decoding, because it does such a good job of it.

If it had to transcode most files, I'd not bother, but as I said, I've never ever had to transcode one, it takes almost no time, and they look great.

Vin.

Soldato

As a mkv file is a container it can comprise of dozens of possible combinations of codecs. Since the release of the PS3/360 most encoders now use codecs that they are compatible with, in order to get the mkv file working all that needs to be done is a quick 'remux'. All that's done is the same codecs are extracted and then combined into a file format that the PS3/360 are compatible with. On a decent PC this will take a matter of seconds, even on my old PC it never took more than 5 mins. It's been months, probably over a year, since i've encountered a mkv file that required reencoding.

Soldato
I usually remux mkv files to m2ts files but with movies that need boarders, this can take a very long time to re encode. mkvvob doesn't add boarders, you need a program like ripbot to do that.

V1N

V1N

Associate
I usually remux mkv files to m2ts files but with movies that need boarders, this can take a very long time to re encode. mkvvob doesn't add boarders, you need a program like ripbot to do that.

MKV2VOB doesn't add anything. The file you get out is the same file you put in, but in a container the PS3 can play.

I select .mpg as the file extension, even though, of course, it isn't really an MPEG file, as it isn't being reencoded.

Basically, the MKV file you've downloaded is being played on the PS3 "as is" with no reencoding, and therefore no loss of quality, and only takes seconds to remux.

I'm not sure why you want to add borders to anything, unless the MKV file has been encoded wrong in the first place? As I said, MKV2VOB doesn't touch the video quality in any way, adding or removing any borders, it just allows you to play the MKV on the PS3.

Vin.

Soldato
MKV2VOB doesn't add anything. The file you get out is the same file you put in, but in a container the PS3 can play.

I select .mpg as the file extension, even though, of course, it isn't really an MPEG file, as it isn't being reencoded.

Basically, the MKV file you've downloaded is being played on the PS3 "as is" with no reencoding, and therefore no loss of quality, and only takes seconds to remux.

I'm not sure why you want to add borders to anything, unless the MKV file has been encoded wrong in the first place? As I said, MKV2VOB doesn't touch the video quality in any way, adding or removing any borders, it just allows you to play the MKV on the PS3.

Vin.

Movies that aren't 1280x720p or 1280x1080p will have a green border at the bottom. Borders need to be added at the bottom and top. mkv2vob doesn't do this. You need ripbot to do this and this can't take several hours.

Back
Top Bottom