Plug pulled on suspected pirates - Karoo

Soldato
Web users suspected of file-sharing are being cut off without warning by internet service provider (ISP) Karoo, based in Hull.

Karoo, the only ISP in the area, makes customers sign a document promising not to repeat the offence in order to get their service restored.

Some customers have had their accounts suspended for more than two years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8166640.stm

I don't usually post news articles, but this got my rifled up. Not just because of their disconnection policy, but because of their monopoly alongside Kingston Communications of the Hull area (which is why they're able to do this).

My questions is how on earth hasn't the EU/OFT stepped in about this? They're fining Microsoft for shipping Windows with IE and the OFT regularly splits up companies that are getting too 'big', so why are these guys exempt from punishment?

Soldato
There's an argument around breech of contract between the two parties to be honest - nothing todo with the legality of it all.

Associate
I still can't get my head around the fact that BT have had to open up their network to all-comers, yet Kingston seems immune to any sort of threats.

If there was ever a case for the competition comission to look into telecoms it's in Hull.

As for this point, merely suspecting someone of doing something which may or may not be illegal is not justification for withdrawing service (even on a temporary basis)

Associate
I was cut off with no warning! Thought that was about 6+ months ago, had to go in a sign something saying i wouldnt do it again. Although it was infact my housemate downloading a game :( .

Technically Kcom are not infact running a monopoly, theres nothing stopping other companies entering the area. But they wont because theres no market supposedly :(

Can't type for toffee
Don
Hmm cant seem to comment on the BBC section...

So as filesharing in itslef is not illegal, are they actively checcking traffic/data to see exactly what your using/downloadin?

Or are they ceasing a service you are paying for just for having a larger than usual bandwidth usage?

Do the contracts have this clause in them from when the users signed up?
Are they still expecting people to pay if in a contract despite being "cut off"?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
If they are sniffing packets veryfying what files and titles are exactly being transferred they should probably ask their legal team what's more damaging - user downloading something that he/she might or might not have legal entitlement to share or ISP breaching user privacy for all their customers.

Can't type for toffee
Don
If they are sniffing packets veryfying what files and titles are exactly being transferred they should probably ask their legal team what's more damaging - user downloading something that he/she might or might not have legal entitlement to share or ISP breaching user privacy for all their customers.

;)

Phorm style lol

uv

uv

Soldato
BBC said:
British Telecoms has no lines in the area, and with no other choice of ISP, the residents of Hull often have no choice but to use Karoo if they want an internet connection.

I'd have moved house a long time ago!

Soldato
well you pay for download from steam but i've heard people getting disconnected on other ISP's because of steam and had to prove them that i was legal to download...

Back
Top Bottom