O2 Slough pre-pay scam

Associate
Same here :p Haven't posted here for a while but this thread came up on Google. Mine was done on the 24th and went through on the 27th, do you think we have the same scammer? :mad::p

Add me to the list. Happened on the 25th (appeared on my online account on the 28th, 2 x £30 O2 prepay charges). I'm with Abbey - phoned them and they said they'd sort it. No hassle, no fuss, so sounds like they've been experiencing this quite a bit.

As far as I'm aware, this is the first time anything like that has ever happened to me.

Man of Honour
I can't see how these people could get away with it if barclays + police really cared :( and if it carried a decent penalty then I'm sure instances of it would be reduced a lot...

Associate
I had this happen a few years ago while on holiday. The only change I had made in a while was a trial account with lovefilm. Happened two weeks after I cancelled it too.

Two vodaphone topups and a checkers cabs from london stansted clocking in at over £100.

My computer is always clean so it was easy to narrow it down where it happened. UlsterBank (RBS) were helpful over the phone, but it took speaking to someone in the local branch after them saying they'd send out the forms 4 times.

Caporegime
Same here :p Haven't posted here for a while but this thread came up on Google. Mine was done on the 24th and went through on the 27th, do you think we have the same scammer? :mad::p

Haha you didn't visit the same zoo as me did you on the 24th :D My mate that was visiting me from boro got done as well.

Soldato
What bank are you with?
(In N.Ireland)
Did they give you an explanation for why the money went astray?
Have they prosecuted anyone?

Was it a random number business? As one of my ulster bank CCards around this time last year was subject to fraud. A £1 itunes credit was bought, and following it working they then tried to buy hair procudts worth £300 or so on 2 occasions. My bank had spotted the fraud at the £1 level and blocked my card. Oddly I was the last person to know.

Aparently their scam was sequential numberings into itunes to buy music, on any hits they stored the numbers and tried them elsewhere later to purchase goods. So they were running rows of sequential possible numbers and rows of expiry data and waiting for hits.

The worst of form of personal fraud is one against which you have no protection, and while sites accept information without checking the cards address, such as itunes, you will always be open to random number guessing spammers. ********.

Soldato
Haha you didn't visit the same zoo as me did you on the 24th :D My mate that was visiting me from boro got done as well.

Haven't been to a Zoo recently, prime suspects are the 'fast' pizza outlet, some dodgy perfume company on the net I used, car audio website and the red and yellow garages ;)

Either way the number would have probably been sold on rather than used by the person that took it. Gits :mad:

Associate
There an extensive report on credit card fraud yesterday on Radio 4. The scumbags 'test' the card with things like mobile topups to see if the card works, then they hammer it. Usually it's picked up on at the point that it's hammered, so you may have been lucky to spot it.

With it being a debit card, unless you pay for card protection, chances are you've lost that money.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

When my card details were stolen it was also an "02 Pre-pay slough" transaction that caught my attention :o

Soldato
Debit Card - O2(Uk)ltd Prepay Slough

^ ^ This happened to me 2 weeks ago!
Along with £2,000 for M&S Money!

Bank (HSBC) was very good and refunded the money within 2 days.

God knows how they got my debit card details. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me in 2 yrs!

Soldato
Exactly the same thing happened to me. OP, did you pay by card at a Shell garage recently by any chance?

edit: oh yeah, and natwest gave me hte money back, no problem, and it happened using my maestro debit card

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom