Vauxhall C20LET

Associate
you can get plenty of power out of them!
here is my mates corsa let its running 487bhp and his going for 550 next

IMG_2217.JPG

Soldato
I've seen numerous of these 2.0 C20 conversions and only 1 of them was ever any good, and for the same money spent on the car he could have bought an Evo 6. I appreciate the fact that the idea is to make it go stupidly fast in a straight line, but quarter mile drag races are for muppets who think a 0-60 time makes a car fast. I just don't see the point - my opinion, nothing more.

So you've seen numerous bad conversions which makes you an expert lol.

1/4 mile races have very little to do with 0-60 times. But being an expert I guess you know that, right?

I have numerous friends who have fast 1/4 mile Vauxhalls which can out pace and Evo 6 on the strip and around a track. They also fix problems for peanuts compared to an Evo, have more fun building the car and enjoy racing without worrying about the next expensive breakage. Obviously Evo's are fantastic cars but not everyone wants a ready made track car.

It's comforting that what you wrote was just your opinion and not a fact written by someone educated in this field.

Permabanned
That really is quite a pathetic comment Fox.

The engineering which has gone into the project is of a very high standard, especially when you compare the LET engine to that of the Ford Cosworth, which are used in several application.

Everything bar the shell has be upgraded or redesigned with many parts being one off's.

Hating Vauxhalls is one thing, however for someone who's so 'car savvy' I thought you'd appreciate the technical side and not make a typical anti Vauxhall comment.

WhySoSerious.jpg

Soldato
you can get plenty of power out of them!
here is my mates corsa let its running 487bhp and his going for 550 next

He's doing well to get that power with a boost pipe setup like that. Far too many bends and it only looks like 2.5" diameter.

Any pics with the Turbo Cover removed?

Associate
So you've seen numerous bad conversions which makes you an expert lol.

1/4 mile races have very little to do with 0-60 times. But being an expert I guess you know that, right?

I have numerous friends who have fast 1/4 mile Vauxhalls which can out pace and Evo 6 on the strip and around a track. They also fix problems for peanuts compared to an Evo, have more fun building the car and enjoy racing without worrying about the next expensive breakage. Obviously Evo's are fantastic cars but not everyone wants a ready made track car.

It's comforting that what you wrote was just your opinion and not a fact written by someone educated in this field.

I wasn't aware that you had to be an expert to post on a forum, I thought it was concept was to have a 'discussion'...

Soldato
I wasn't aware that you had to be an expert to post on a forum, I thought it was concept was to have a 'discussion'...

Post something worth discussing then rather than spouting rubbish about a subject you know little about.

Badly converted cars are abundant as more and more idiots think they can throw together a conversion on the cheap. So, how many conversions is 'numerous' now days? Are we talking one or two with a little 'pub talk' multiplication thrown in or have you actually seen numerous conversion and therefore have something to add to this thread?

Also, when you say only one of them was any good. Are you referring to the quality of workmanship or the performance the engine delivered?

Last edited:
Associate
Something worth discussing? Were you born an idiot or is it something that you practice? I'm giving my opinion on the topic of the thread, is that not the whole point? I'm saying I don't see the point in turning a terrible car into something with a stupid amount of power, why not start with a good platform from the outset, I don't see what's wrong with that point of view? Clearly you're a fan boy of these awful conversions so lets just agree to disagree eh.

Also, i've seen quite a few of these C20LET conversions since most people in Stoke are boy racers, the best one i've seen was in a Nova and it was very quick, but still cost well in excess of £10,000 to make...i'd pay £10k not to own a Nova personally but that's me.

Soldato
Yeah I'm a fan of this conversion and have a great deal of knowledge of it and how well it works when done well. Your opinion is based on very limited knowledge which doesn't help you understand the appeal of using a 'crap' car.. I suppose you think mini racing and other 'lesser' car racing events are pointless as there are these uber cars you mention. Why doesn't everyone race Evo's as you've suggested. Maybe it's because people like having a choice?

So you've seen a conversion costing 10K that was good. Great, a conversion can be done for less than 2K, giving nearly 300BHP. So for less than 3K including the car you can have a fun, cheap, reliable road/track car. Seems like a bargain to me. If something breaks you fix it for a fraction of the price of a 'decent' car and carry on. Very few of these popular conversions cost any more than a few K at the most.

Calling me names and people who drag race muppets clearly shows how limited your experience is. . I mean the Roger Clark Scooby has had over 250K spent on it in order to make the ultimate track/drag car. Spending a few K on a terrible car that in only 2 seconds slower on the stip, which is what it's designed to do seems pretty smart to me. Oh and then there's the thousands of people who race the 1/4 professionally in Top Fuel cars where much more is spent, on this sport for 0-60 racers.

You're right, everyone is entitled to an opinion. It's just a shame you have to name call to get your point across!

Last edited:
Associate
that's just the thing, I don't see how dumping a clutch and burning rubber is fun, but then I do spend a lot of time racing properly so I am probably biased towards real racing. Anyway boring arguement

Soldato
Cant say i personally agree with moding cheap cars. I understand the reason and the pleasure it would give you. But for me i would just be thinking wow I could have saved this and got a decent car. Obviously this takes out all the fun you had putting it together.

Personally though i want to get a lotus exige and then make it go a bit faster, nothing heavy and then learn to track race. Its kinda a goal ive got really. To me though the car has to look good too. I see no reason why i would ever want to drive around in an ugly car. You can claim its trying to prove something or what ever and how its only about the speed but truth is if you could choose between a fast nice looking car and an ugly fast car you know you'd want the looks too. If anything id say its simply a question of money. Which is the same reason you are all doing up these cheap cars is money. If you could you would buy a proper sports car and take it further, you can argue otherwise if you really want to but I don't believe you wouldn't rather something like a lotus exige which is still very easy to make go faster. So its not all about taking something crap and making it so much better. Because if you had the money to take something very good and make it even better you would. The fun you'd have in that car would be far more taking it round the tracks because it would be such a better car.

Soldato
that's just the thing, I don't see how dumping a clutch and burning rubber is fun, but then I do spend a lot of time racing properly so I am probably biased towards real racing. Anyway boring arguement

In a way the lack of traction is part of the appeal as daft as it sounds. It's harder to put the power down so they have to be more inventive with how they do it. I know of people who use launch control setups which help a fair amount. Others prefer playing with the geometry. A friend with a Mk2 Astra had his geometry set for track use rather than the drag strip which added nearly half a second to his time.

Many of the guys who 1/4 mile also use their cars for 'real racing' too :)

Associate
They probably do but I'm just not a fan, i've not come across any that are stupidly fast, i'd rather just buy an Exige or Caterham, but then i'm a track fan. I'm clearly not the only person with this opinion too!

Soldato
Personally though i want to get a lotus exige and then make it go a bit faster, nothing heavy and then learn to track race. Its kinda a goal ive got really.

Good for you.

To me though the car has to look good too. I see no reason why i would ever want to drive around in an ugly car. You can claim its trying to prove something or what ever and how its only about the speed but truth is if you could choose between a fast nice looking car and an ugly fast car you know you'd want the looks too.

Not at all. Most of the guys have no interest at all in making their track cars look pretty. It's about performance NOT looks, which is what matters. Most of the guys have road/day to day cars which do the looking nice job.

If anything id say its simply a question of money. Which is the same reason you are all doing up these cheap cars is money. If you could you would buy a proper sports car and take it further, you can argue otherwise if you really want to but I don't believe you wouldn't rather something like a lotus exige which is still very easy to make go faster. So its not all about taking something crap and making it so much better. Because if you had the money to take something very good and make it even better you would. The fun you'd have in that car would be far more taking it round the tracks because it would be such a better car.

So they do this because they don't have the money lol. What a silly comment!

The guy who owns the Tigra has a very sucessful motorsport company. He's got other cars in development which has cost a fortune and doesn't have any issue with money. One guy who has a RWD Nova Turbo is a software developer who earns more than he knows what to do with. He's also got an Integra Trype R on Throttle Boddies with around 20K invested, which is a track only car and a Sierra RS500, so yeah he's short of a few bob. These guys love the challenge, the team spirit and the enjoyment. Sure they're all bonkers for using Vauxhalls but suggesting money is the only reason shows how nieve you are.

And no, It's not all about the looks. If you want to ponce around in your Exige then great. You'll feel like king of the world thinking you're a race car driver when it's actually the car making you look good. The more I think about it the more it saddens me that you have to look good first and go fast second :(

Last edited:
Soldato
They probably do but I'm just not a fan, i've not come across any that are stupidly fast, i'd rather just buy an Exige or Caterham, but then i'm a track fan. I'm clearly not the only person with this opinion too!

That's fair enough. If you have time or care to take a look do a search on YouTube for Olly Hewitt. He built a really tidy track Nova with a 2.0l 16v engine with Throttle Boddies. Some great videos of it on the track pushing Caterhams, M3's and other respectible cars around the track.

Obvisouly you're not the only one with that opinion. In fact I'm sure most OcUK'ers would side with you. Not to say the other side isn't a valid opinion with a huge following here in the UK and across Europe :)

Have a quick look at this. Skip it to around 2mins as the first part as a lot of traffic slowing things down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd9pCJV7XZQ&feature=related

Another one while he's following a Z4 and Evo (something)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWwjoS40oU0&feature=related

Sounds quite nice too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlsU7aNbUqQ&feature=related

I'm not saying they're better than everything, prettier or even the best choice. Just good budget racing no, more no less. Sure it's not as nice as racing an Exige etc.. Still lools like a lot of fun for a fraction of the price :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom