Upgrading Phone on Orange - What one?

Permabanned
Ok so I know very little about phones nowadays, so I'd like personal opinions on which phone I should choose as an upgrade! The choice of (free) upgrades I have is:

Nokia 5800
Samsung S5600
LG Cookie
Samsung F480
LG GT505
LG KM900
HTC Touch 3G
Blackberry Pearl 8120

From what I've seen the Nokia 5800 seems to be one of the more popular ones... but I was wondering whether any of them are on the same level?

Thanks!

Soldato
Tell them that you're leaving them (to get an iPhone :p) and request a PAC, I'm sure their retentions team would offer you the Hero for a better price...

Exactly, here is what I done:

Found a deal for the phone(or in your case similar to what you want) on another network.
Get on the phone to the upgrades department (this ensures you get an english speaker)
Allow them to offer you the phones listed
Mention that you have found a phone and deal on X Network and are going to just go for that.
At this point they will put you through to Retentions....
You will be asked to repeat the deal
They will then beat said deal and give you the phone you are after for free as well as a series of discounts.

Doing this got me a free HTC Touch Diamond, 700xnet mins, Unlimited texts, Unlimited internet all for £22.50 p/m last August....

Believe me mate it works ;) Just tell them as said you are going to get an IPhone and they will be sure to offer you alternatives.

Soldato
Exactly, here is what I done:

Found a deal for the phone(or in your case similar to what you want) on another network.
Get on the phone to the upgrades department (this ensures you get an english speaker)
Allow them to offer you the phones listed
Mention that you have found a phone and deal on X Network and are going to just go for that.
At this point they will put you through to Retentions....
You will be asked to repeat the deal
They will then beat said deal and give you the phone you are after for free as well as a series of discounts.

Doing this got me a free HTC Touch Diamond, 700xnet mins, Unlimited texts, Unlimited internet all for £22.50 p/m last August....

Believe me mate it works ;) Just tell them as said you are going to get an IPhone and they will be sure to offer you alternatives.

in my experience with orange I'm sure if I tried that, they'd say fine go with the iphone then. I'm apperently not an important enough customer as I got no where near the sort of deal people on here and xda got for the touch hd end of last year, also people were getting the omnia for free but I was told flat out I wouldn't get it for free.

Soldato
in my experience with orange I'm sure if I tried that, they'd say fine go with the iphone then. I'm apperently not an important enough customer as I got no where near the sort of deal people on here and xda got for the touch hd end of last year, also people were getting the omnia for free but I was told flat out I wouldn't get it for free.

Well in my example I said T-Mobile would give me the HTC Touch Diamond for Free and on a cheaper contract and they caved in. I was prepared to move and thats what you have to be. Best way is to find the phone you want, pick a deal, twist it a little if you must and put that to them.

Permabanned
OP
Ok... so plan of action before I phone up:

Ask about upgrades, get them to list phones available... declare interest in the HTC Hero, wait for them to say how much it will be, then say I've been offered a deal with T-Mobile earlier today for 300 xnet minutes, 1000 texts and unlimited internet, with a free HTC Hero for £25 p/m?

I'm not sure how believable that deal is so opinions are welcome whether I could try going for more!

Ideally I'd want at least 200 xnet minutes, 1000 texts and unlimited internet for £20 p/m with the free HTC Hero but that seems a bit ambitious...

Soldato
Ok... so plan of action before I phone up:

Ask about upgrades, get them to list phones available... declare interest in the HTC Hero, wait for them to say how much it will be, then say I've been offered a deal with T-Mobile earlier today for 300 xnet minutes, 1000 texts and unlimited internet, with a free HTC Hero for £25 p/m?

I'm not sure how believable that deal is so opinions are welcome whether I could try going for more!

Ideally I'd want at least 200 xnet minutes, 1000 texts and unlimited internet for £20 p/m with the free HTC Hero but that seems a bit ambitious...

No, no, no.

First, are you already out of the minimum contract period? If you are, you should phone them up and request your PAC (this expires after 30 days and you aren't compelled to use it). Usually they will put you through to retentions there and then, or call you back in a few days. They'll ask you why and you can respond with either an offer you've seen or that you simply want the iPhone. They'll say, we have the Hero, and we can offer you this to stay.... etc etc.

Permabanned
OP
No, no, no.

First, are you already out of the minimum contract period? If you are, you should phone them up and request your PAC (this expires after 30 days and you aren't compelled to use it). Usually they will put you through to retentions there and then, or call you back in a few days. They'll ask you why and you can respond with either an offer you've seen or that you simply want the iPhone. They'll say, we have the Hero, and we can offer you this to stay.... etc etc.

My contract doesn't end until the start of November, however I'm able to upgrade now and have the remaining 3 months added onto the end of my new contract... although I have been on Orange for a while so believe I can get out of the contract anyway due to the recent change of pricing?

Soldato
Hmm, you don't get the best upgrade deals until the minimum term is up. When they know they can't keep you, that's when they try hardest. You won't be able to request your PAC now either.

Yes, there is the possibility that you could argue the whole price change thing, however it creates an argument which does contradict itself a little. i.e. you want to cancel due to the price hike (as it is a fundamental price increase) but you will stay if they give you a decent upgrade deal, despite the fact you are significantly prejudiced by the price hike...

Soldato
do what i did

cancel your contract

sell your old phone got £100 for mine then buy a new orange contract from quidco which gives you another £50

result!

Back
Top Bottom