Just broke my pc please help

Associate
Was just putting some new ram into mobo (asus p5q) and switched on heard a high pitch squeal then everything went off. Looked again and one stick was very slighty out so i pushed in and tried again with no ram no graph card. Now it does not post at all , all i get is about an 1/8 turn of the fans then nothing. Is the most likely case i killed the mobo?. Thanks in advance for any info. Also i cant find my exact mobo on ocuk anymore its the one that lets you take ddr2 and ddr3.

Associate
It's a P5QC, not a P5Q, yes?

AjALu1GsZD2XePUt_500.jpg

If you have left the RAM sitting half in the slot then you could have just knackered the RAM, or the mobo too - remove everything [including the CPU - which you don't state you have removed] and plug in only the main ATX connector, and the aux 12V [normally an 8pin connection] and see if you get any beeps from the mobo.

If you get nowt, you could try disconnecting everything, removing the BIOS battery and setting the CMOS jumper to CLEAR for half an hour to see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, I'd say you've probably knackered the mobo I'm afraid - those RAM slots are keyed and locked for a very good reason.

Although...

What kind of RAM were you putting in, and what RAM was already there? It's quite specific about where to put DDR1066 RAM on the website, I imagine the manual has further info - could it be the squeal you heard was just the PC speaker?

Also, you can't mix DDR2 and 3 at the same time, I expect...

Associate
Looked again and one stick was very slighty out so i pushed in and tried again with no ram no graph card. Now it does not post at all , all i get is about an 1/8 turn of the fans then nothing.

One gadget I have found invaluable for diagnosing POST failure is a PCI PC Analyser card that displays the POST codes as the motherboard cycles through all the POST checks. I picked up one from HK on the 'bay'. They are great for pinning down where the MB is getting stuck (usually the codes will cycle round on the LED display and then freeze).

A very early POST failure like what you described sounds like a "MB overload" alarm. You got your PCIe power connectors plugged in fully to your GPU, etc. on the second test?

Bob

Associate
OP
yes gpu power was plugged in second test. I didnt mix the slots up as it is a p5qc and takes ddr3. I tried taking the battery out but left it about 5 mins will leave it longer this time. I have not tried without the cpu will try that after cmos is reset.

Associate
Basically, if you unplug everything and clear the CMOS [with teh mains disconnected, etc] and then just plug in the mobo power connectors - not even the VGA card or it's power - then it should beep at you to tell you that you have no CPU/RAM/VGA installed. You can check the manual to see what beeps mean what but TBH you don't need to know until you can't think what else to plug in ;)

The idea is you add components one at a time until the problem recurs.

So if you get beeps with nowt in, pop in the CPU.

If you still get beeps, pop in the RAM.

if you still get beeps, pop in the VGA and it's power connectors.

You shouldn't get POST beeps after that - you should get a display, and the next message would be from teh BIOS itself, really, either obviously being corrupt, or stating that an OC has failed [a bit of a generic catch all term for 'I'm lost and confused' for BIOSs]. If you still get beeps after getting to teh stage of adding the VGA card and it's power connector, then check the mobo manual to decipher the beep code and see what it points to.

If you get no beep with nothing but mobo power hooked up, then it's either the mobo or the power supply that's gone - only way to be sure is to plug in [and risk popping, if it's a broken mobo...] another power supply and continue.

If you get no beeps at one of the inbetween stages - say, plugging in some RAM, then you know it's possibly iffy RAM - check the beep code in the manual, and check it in another system if possible.

Repeat till fixed, or till you are chewing your fingers off in apoplectic rage at how rubbish computer components can be, something which I have never done, oh no....;)

Associate
OP
Quick update tried taking everything out apart from power, hit the on button and it fired up so i tried it with cpu back in and nothing. Then tried it with everything except cpu , gfx ram hd and such and it fired up fine. Mates letting me try his cpu tomoz so will know for sure id hope. Strange thing is with everything plugged in i dont get any display or beeps from mobo. Anything i can try before i take it mates tomoz?.

Associate
Anything i can try before i take it mates tomoz?.

No it sounds like you've covered all the bases and it would appear the CPU is duff. But don't forget it could potentially be the MB itself that is at fault if the CPU power VRM's are damaged say.

If your motherboard powers up but doesn't produce beeps then (assuming the speaker is working) you would need a cheap PCI PC Analyser card to see what stage of the BIOS POST is failing. Like I said for the price (from HK/China) they are really useful in emergencies!

Bob

Back
Top Bottom