The London Underground

mjt

mjt

Soldato
yeh i guess, but not when you compare it to the prices 6 years ago :p
all relative i suppose.

it can seem great and cheap if you're just visiting, but having to use the tube every day is expensive, especially when you factor in the other high costs of living in london.
the strikes and delays are a joke though, and that's what londoners have to put up with. when the system works and it's not ridiculously hot, it's great.
rush hour and strikes is another matter though

Last edited:
Soldato
:) Hear hear

That said, if you are getting the tube around the West End, it's when you get the A-Z out and wander round a bit that you realise that, although probably the most used journeys by tourists, they are also by far the most unnecessary journeys with just about everywhere you could want to be, being abotu 10-15 mins walk tops :p

mjt

mjt

Soldato
definitely. i want smash every idiot in the face that gets on at covent garden and gets off at leicester square :mad:
the last carriage is still in one station when the driver reaches the next

Soldato
As an occasional visitor to London, I like the Underground system. I visited the London Transport Museum and that was fascinating.

On 'Most Haunted' with Derek Acorah, they visited Aldwych Station which is now closed which also looked great to have a wonder around. All the tunnels and parked up stock.

There's a bit about people buried from the plague disrupted the digging of some tunnels as the pits were so deep.

Anyway, no matter how hard you look, you can never find 'Walford' tube station.

Permabanned
OP
definitely. i want smash every idiot in the face that gets on at covent garden and gets off at leicester square :mad:
the last carriage is still in one station when the driver reaches the next
Although I know you're exaggerating I also know that it's not far off the truth. I walked it on tuesday and it isn't far at all.

Associate
For me some of the summer heat is it's only downside.

IIRC they've fitted underground cooling to a station or two and are rolling it out completely over the next couple of years.

Also, the new subsurface S rolling stock will have conventional A/C. The deeper lines are two deep and the tunnels two narrow for it to be used there so they'll have to rely on station based cooling until they find an alternative for the deep line rolling stock.

Permabanned
OP
Not sure whether it's on purpose or not but the trains themselves seem to do a good job of pushing cool air through the tunnels and up into the stations.

It seemed that way anyhow!

Back
Top Bottom