I want to try Linux, any advice

Man of Honour
Mint or PCLinuxOS until you get a bit more used to things.

I would swap the Radeon for an nVidia as ATI makes baby jeebus cry on Linux.

Soldato
OP
Managed to install Ubuntu. Works fine now, just one problem. The screen resolution is wrong. I go to System -> Preferences -> Display and under resolution there is only 640 x 480 (4:3) available.

Anything i can do to get some other resolutions?

Soldato
Managed to install Ubuntu. Works fine now, just one problem. The screen resolution is wrong. I go to System -> Preferences -> Display and under resolution there is only 640 x 480 (4:3) available.

Anything i can do to get some other resolutions?

Have you installed the relevant driver for your graphics card yet? I *think* Ubuntu should do this for you if you look at the "System"-->"Administration"-->"Hardware Driver" dialogue

Soldato
Mandriva is supposed to be good for people new to Linux. But i recommend Linux Mint. The setup isn't that different to Windows... and yes, i know you've already installed Ubuntu. Whatever... you can always change... or dual boot.

Soldato
I tried Fedora Core as my 1st distro, it was a bit heavy. My next outing was with debian, which was nice, but I quickly killed the OS by installing a lot of nonfree software out of other distro's deb packages, and fighting with metapackages. Have been using Xubuntu since then, and very reliably.

I kind of want to try Fedora again now, I use Red Hat Enterprise Linux a lot at work, and find it all to be very correct, very solid. I use SuSE Linux Enterprise Server a lot too, and it's not nice, everything just seems to be a hacky patch, like bashing Linux with a rock until it does what they want it to. There's the odd Debian machine too, and they're very reliable when you're not trying to hack nonfree stuff onto them.

Yet more OSs, there's a lot of AIX, which has a rather nifty set of built in commands to query or set anything quickly, unfortunately I know almost none of these commands, so it's always a fight. It uses ksh with vi keys too, which is OK when you get used to it, old school. Only trouble is it's quite hard to find anything to use them for, the desktop versions usually become hugely powerful, really expensive terminal emulators. If your using your own software with DB2 they're generally pretty hefty workhorses, especially the regattas, but then you need to learn to drive a HMC, it's all very enterprise.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Having more problems now with my PC. When i turn it on i just get the message GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 17

Can't get past this, so can't even boot windows. :(

Anything i can do to fix this?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom