Card reader doesn't work if its empty when I boot!

Associate
Since the symptoms of my problem are so specific and easy to reproduce I figured I would find the answers easily.. But after a whole evening of searching on Google, I have found nothing which can help...

I have just built my new PC using an Asus M4A78 motherboard and had surprisingly few problems.

However, today I found that I have a problem with "card readers".

I have a card reader in my printer, an internal 5 slot one (which connects directly to a USB header on the Motherboard), and I also have several external ones.

What I have found is this.

1. If I connect the Card Reader to the PC when its up and running and it works (it doesn't matter if there is a card in the slot or not).. I get the 'bing bong' noise.. The reader appears (I see the drive letter) and then when I insert a card, Windows 'mounts' it and I can view the files.

2. If I Reboot the PC whilst a reader is connected (and empty), when Windows boots I see the drive letters, but when I insert a card I get an 'egg timer' in Windows and double clicking on the card letter shows "Please Insert disk into drive X:"

3. If Boot the PC whilst a reader is connected AND there is a media card (SD, CF, etc) in the slot and it works normally.. The PC boots, the card is readable and significantly, if I can remove the card and reinsert it (or insert another card) and it mounts.

So the bottom line is that I can only get a card reader to work if:

1. I connect it AFTER the PC was booted
2. I boot the PC with the reader connefted AND I have a card in the slot

If I boot with it empty, then I see the drive letters but it does not work and the only way to make it work is via the 2 options above...

My old PC wasn't like this and I was running the same version of Windows (XP SP3) and was fully up to date... It wasn't like this on my old Motherboard, so this is clearly something new....

I have installed all of the latest drivers for this motherboard and have upgraded to the current BIOS and its the same.. So i am now out of ideas..

This is such an obvious problem which is easy to reproduce so I don't think i am alone.. But a search of Google finds nothing, so I am more than a little nervous about this.

My fingers are crossed that someone can help..

Does anyone have any ideas?

Jon

Associate
Hi Jon

Interesting problem here!
To start with i would say "Dont worry about it" there is always an answer!

To me it sounds like there is an underlying small bug within Asus USB coding for their boards. I have come across similar issues before (Not with card reader though) with a Shuttle product. Some feedback to the technical team and a hearty email explainging the issue (as you have typed above) and you shoudl soon see the fix in the next release of the bios update :)

In summary, My first starting point would be Asus Mobo Support, Send them an email explaining the issue and im sure they will help you on your way to solving this issue :)

I hope that my two pence worth has helped :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reassuring words.. I have been working with computers for over 20 years and this one has me stumped.

Bizzarly, I found another problem today which looked like it was going to be a nightmare and using Google I found the answer in seconds.

To be honest, I could live with this issue.. I never reboot the computer... And in the case of my external Card Readers, I simply have to unplug them again and reconnect, but the internal one is different.. I have to open up the case to remove the header and I obviously want to avoid this.

If I could find a 'workaround' (i.e delete the device and let Windows 'rediscover' it) I would be happy.. But nothing I have found works.

I can't help thinking that its the way that the BIOS treats these removable drives.. During POST, it detects them and shows them as 'drives'.. I can't help thinking that this initializes them and when there is no card in the slot it causes the problem.. But in the BIOS, there is no way to surpress this feature.. Can you view the card readers in the BIOS and 'configure' them as Floppys/HardDrives/etc or you can leave it to 'auto'... I just think that when the MOBO 'talks' to these drives during post, it triggers this problem.

I have come up with a plan.. I am going to install XP again on a spare Hard-drive and test the USB/Card Readers before doing ANYHING.. Just to prove that nothing I have installed is causing this.

Once I can prove this, then its 100% a Windows or MOBO issue...

I will report back with my findings.

Jon

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have just done a fresh install of windows.. And before I installed any 'drivers', I tested this.

Windows sees the drive letters as before.. And now when I insert a card, they are visible it... So its working normally.

I am now installing the ASUS drivers which come with the MB.. If the fault returns, then its clearly something about the 'chipset' drivers.. If it doesn't, then its clearly something I have installed and I might be forced to rebuild everything again :(

Jon

Associate
OP
Well.. The ASUS drivers are now installed and everything is still working.. So it looks like its something I have added/installed...

I am going to look at the list of apps I have installed, look for the ones which look like they might be 'intrusive' and see if I can reproduce the issue on this ne build

If I can't, I guess I will just have to start again and build slowly, checking as I go, so that I can do a 'System Restore' IF the problem re-occurs.

It took my about a week to get back to where I am now... I can't believe I have to start all over again!!!

Nightmare!!

Jon.

Associate
OP
After an afternoon of installing everything on my spare drive, I finally reproduced the issue.. And the culprit "Express Gate". This is a Linux based OS which launches before POST at boot and allows you to do 'basic' stuff (like web, mail, etc).

Even if you don't "launch" Express Gate at boot, it still runs as it gives you a mouse driven front end..

Clearly this interacts with the Card Readers and puts them in this strange state.

I have removed it and my problem went away.. But then I tried the latest version (1.4.4.2) and that fixes it too.

So if you don't use Express Gate, don't install it.. If you do, then upgrade to 1.4.4.2.. Either solutions work.

Few.. Got there in the end...

Jon

Associate
Interesting one there Jon, cheers for digging it up and documenting it.

TBH I tried Express gate once, then turned it off. My box runs 24/7 [it's quiet enough to do so] so I'll never use Express Gate, ever. I can see the point of it on netbooks, but on a full size system it seems like a waste of time really.

Back
Top Bottom