***The Official Nokia N97 Thread (Keep all N97 stuff in here)***

RSR

RSR

Soldato
what is it you dont like about it? I really love mine, much better then my old Sony X1 and my iphone.

Let me see.

Slow
Rubbish Signal
Faulty Keyboard
Now ive got one with a faulty screen.

I give up, i am going back to my N95.

Man of Honour
The criticisms seem mainly to do with hardware features like the keyboard and d-pad feedback, unadjustable angle of the screen when open and "feel" of the resistive touchscreen compared with the capacitive ones used elsehwere. What would users of the phone on here have to say regarding these points?

The hardware is absolutely spot on and I disagree with all these criticisms. The problems with the phone, and there are many, are due to buggy software. It's as if they released an alpha version of the OS with the phone.

Soldato
No dispute on the software - it's a disgrace by all accounts.

As for the hardware, there are enough users and reviews critising the keyboard, screen angle, touch screen, reception, performance and battery life to cause serious concern. You yourself have expressed consternation at the battery life, so how can you now claim the hardware is "spot on"?

Soldato
I'm also amazed that Nokia is persisting with the quite frankly (IMO) ghastly Symbian interface. Nokia may have been the last word in interface design when phones only had tiny screens to work with but they've lost their way big style these days. In a future seemingly dominated by iPhone and Android, and with even WinMo phones getting their acts together, the Symbian UI is looking hopelessly out of date.

There is a complete UI overhaul roadmapped for Symbian^4, which should be out at the end of 2010.

One of the downsides of making Symbian independent was losing the ability to dictate major changes to the software :/

Permabanned
Let me see.

Slow
Rubbish Signal
Faulty Keyboard
Now ive got one with a faulty screen.

I give up, i am going back to my N95.

Ok, this is just my thoughts on the whole thing, i dont find anything slow, the menus all open as they should, browsing the web is fast, in what way do you find it slow?

To be honsted i used my at work, in the middle of london city and at home in the middle of the Kent Country side and havent had any problems, it fact i find it better then both my old phones.

what do you mean by faulty? you had one that doesnt work? well in any mass produced item your going to have a % that have faults, you just get nokia to repair/replace.

as for the screen i know a lot of people seem to have a problem with the touch interface but i find it no diffrent to my old iphone? am i missing something?

Soldato
Bull !!, just the whole world is Linux & Mac OS eh ?.
Hardly. The fact that Linux/Android are both open source and OSX and iPhone are both Apple doesn't mean the products or the markets in which they operate are in any way comparable.

If you want to extend the desktop/mobile OS analogy, however, then you can add Windows Mobile to the equation which, in its next incarnation, is rumoured to be a strong competitor for both Android and iPhone.

Of course the smartphone market thus far has been driven primarily by the early adopters who want the latest funky gadget but, as more and more people see the value of a phone which can give them full internet access on the move together with a myriad of downloadable applications, I see this market growing very fast. The fact that Apple,Microsoft & Palm, together with open source in the shape of Android, are pursuing it so vigorously is testament to that. Nokia are in serious danger of being left far behind right now.

Apart from a few niggles the N97 works great for me.
You appear to be in the minority.

Associate
Hardly. The fact that Linux/Android are both open source and OSX and iPhone are both Apple doesn't mean the products or the markets in which they operate are in any way comparable.

If you want to extend the desktop/mobile OS analogy, however, then you can add Windows Mobile to the equation which, in its next incarnation, is rumoured to be a strong competitor for both Android and iPhone.

Of course the smartphone market thus far has been driven primarily by the early adopters who want the latest funky gadget but, as more and more people see the value of a phone which can give them full internet access on the move together with a myriad of downloadable applications, I see this market growing very fast. The fact that Apple,Microsoft & Palm, together with open source in the shape of Android, are pursuing it so vigorously is testament to that. Nokia are in serious danger of being left far behind right now.

You appear to be in the minority.

In your opinion of course. If I am in the minority then I'm happy to be there. It's a breath of fresh after 4 years with an N95.

Man of Honour
Once you disable the widgets the battery is fine and lasts 2 to 3 days. Not had any keyboard issues, perhaps it only affects people with fat fingers or something? The only hardware issue for me is receptipn. Other than this the hardware is great. The software on the other hand is riddled with bugs.

Soldato
In your opinion of course. If I am in the minority then I'm happy to be there. It's a breath of fresh after 4 years with an N95.

Well of course in my opinion - isn't that what these forums are all about, voicing our opinions?

Of course I could be totally wrong about the future landscape but it'll be interesting to see what happens :)

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Ok, this is just my thoughts on the whole thing, i dont find anything slow, the menus all open as they should, browsing the web is fast, in what way do you find it slow?

To be honsted i used my at work, in the middle of london city and at home in the middle of the Kent Country side and havent had any problems, it fact i find it better then both my old phones.

what do you mean by faulty? you had one that doesnt work? well in any mass produced item your going to have a % that have faults, you just get nokia to repair/replace.

as for the screen i know a lot of people seem to have a problem with the touch interface but i find it no diffrent to my old iphone? am i missing something?

Have i had a faulty one? Hmmmm now let me see.

I’ve had four and ill shortly be on my fifth in the space of a month. Sorry if i come across as a bit rude, it’s just ive have lost all patience with the N97 and i think its fit only for the bin.

In every way the phone seems slower than my old N95 8 GB, unless i can put this down to the dodgy phones i have had in the past.

I really want to like this phone but the more i use it, the further away from liking the phone i become. It’s more or less like Nokia have released a alpha product on to the mass market as a training exercise.

Andy

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Just spoke to them again about the fourth phone and now I am allowed to choose a different phone.

Whats a good handset on Vodafone?

Back
Top Bottom