Is too much Chili Bad for you

Permabanned
Just a cnoecrn of mine is it health or can too much chili do damage to your health.

Guess it depends on what you mean by chili and how much of it you're consuming. Obviously, gulping down 10 litres of 'competition strength' Texan chili a day isn't going to be too good for you.

Man of Honour
Like with anything there's a limit. Too much of anything is potentially bad for you.

It can be quite damaging to your body in excessive quantities and can create stomach ulcers etc... it depends how sensitive you are to chilli I would have thought.

Man of Honour
That's a myth apparently.
Rubbishy Daily Mail but
New Medical Research: Got an ulcer? Then eat chillies

(Daily Mail, Tuesday, July 11, 2006, p.44)

CHILLI is the hot tip for ulcer sufferers. According to a report, red chilli peppers don't cause stomach ulcers, as was previously believed, but can actually prevent or heal them.

Researchers says there is a misconception that chilli is bad for the stomach and that hot food causes heartburn, indigestion and ulcers. They say their studies show that chilli's hot ingredient, capsaicin, is protective. This is because it blocks acid production, stimulates alkali and improves blood flow in stomach tissue, which helps prevent and heal ulcers.

The scientists claim that other research shows that gastric ulcers are three times less common in countries where large numbers of chillies are eaten.

Their report, published in the medical journal Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, says capsaicin works by stimulating nerve cells in the stomach to build up protection against irritants that can cause ulcers.

They say overuse of non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs, as well as alcohol, smoking and stress; have all been linked to the development of ulcers.

Associate
Hopefully not I as eat a lot of them, saying that does this mean the actual chillis or hot/spicy food including sauces and chilli powder?

Man of Honour
Soldato
Chillis are good for you so eat as many as you want to just don't over do it as u might not have any taste buds left lol. Not sure about sauces tho but the fresh ones are fine.

Soldato
In some Asian countries eating spicy food every day is nothing unusual, therefore it can't be bad for you. But you never know.

I have never seen any excessive studies proving that spicy food/chillies are bad/good for anyone.

Soldato
It's not acidic, it just reacts with the nerve endings giving the sensation of burning.

The joy of having your mouth go numb from too much chilli is truly something everyone must experience at least once.

Back
Top Bottom