Why is our numberplate system so rubbish?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;14652996 said:
Why does it make perfect sense? What practical benefit does it offer?

Didn't the plate change originally get switched to 6 monthly in order to spur the car industry on?

Suspended
[TW]Fox;14652996 said:
Why does it make perfect sense? What practical benefit does it offer?

I should have typed 'It makes perfect sense to me' - sorry.

I think that being able to tell what year a car is just by looking at the registration is a good thing.

I lived in Germany for almost 5 years and you couldn't tell what year a car had been registered there because their system is different.

Is there a reason you wouldn't want the model year included on the plate?

The only negatives I can think of are that it creates an unnecessary stress on dealers twice a year, and has an unreasonable effect on used prices. But that's to the buyers benefit so shouldn't change.

Associate
I'm not sure how the US system works but I've always thought that plates should be renewed every year, that way to renew your plate you'd need your tax, mot and insurance certificates.
With the plate colour/pattern changing every year so that its easier for the police to identify cars with out of date details. Though I'm not sure how the insurance would work in this case.

Associate
That would put a stop to bob or sally borrowing mum or dads blue badge so they can park where ever they want.

So also putting a stop to me taking my disabled mother shopping in my car as I wouldn't be able to park in a wide enough bay so I can get her wheelchair to the door and help her in. This is why we have it on a badge rather than on our plate

Caporegime
must admit i find it handy when i take my gran to the bank etc..

Shes 82 and had a hip replacement so is none too spritely. Being able to park on double yellows near the bank in the city centre is very handy. Would take her an age to walk from the city centre precincts to the bank !

Associate
Even with an anything goes number plate system... you still get people who don't quite get the plate they really want...

dscf2883zfo.jpg

:D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I quite like the Irish system. For example, 05-G-1337.
Car new in 2005, registered in Galway and is the 1337th car to be registered that year. Simple and to the point.
Ours work similarly. Example:

LB02 VDM

LB is where it was registered, in this case it's a London plate. 02 is the year or 52 if it's the second half of the year. VDM allows scope for 26 x 26 x 26 cars in that half year, which equates to roughly 17,000 cars minus the letters that aren't used which are I and Q I think.

I agree it's a complicated system and it's intended for easy tracking of cars, but this gets totally screwed with personalised plates.

Man of Honour
OP
52 if it's the second half of the year.

This is the epic fail. This part is uneccesarily complicated and unrequired. Just have 02 for 2002. Thats it. Why do we need a 'second half of the year'? It isnt even the second half of the year its 4 months of 02 and 2 months of 03, how clear and concise.

Caporegime
Couldnt agree more, they do suck, the US plate system is better, I also think that disabled "blue badges" should be part of the number plate and no a piece of paper left in the window.

That would put a stop to bob or sally borrowing mum or dads blue badge so they can park where ever they want.

And a stop to mum or dad using a disabled spot when they get a lift off Bob or Sally to the supermarket. Especially significant when mum or dad don't have a car of their own.

I've given disabled friends lifts to places before, the current system means we can park up in the disabled bays close to the venue.

DM

DM

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;14655353 said:
This is the epic fail. This part is uneccesarily complicated and unrequired. Just have 02 for 2002. Thats it. Why do we need a 'second half of the year'? It isnt even the second half of the year its 4 months of 02 and 2 months of 03, how clear and concise.

They did it to spread the load of new car registrations i think.

Man of Honour
OP
They did it to spread the load of new car registrations i think.

Because everyone is obsessed with the 'latest number'. Remove dates from plates altogether and there will be no load on new car registrations. If you want a car you may as well just buy it when you want it not wait for the new plate.

Associate
Hvae to admit I agree with Fox on that it's true people are so desperate for the latest plate. For example mates parents a couple of years back wanted an X-Trailthe could have had one registered at the end of august 03 for circa. 3-4K (03 Plate) but his dad was so far up his own backend that he HAD to ay the extra for a car that was register a couple of weeks later, only to find that they were built on the same day.

Man of Honour
OP
Exactly, it's a load of rubbish. I looked at two cars when I was looking for mine - one was a 2002/02 and one was a 2001/51 so the 02 was a good grand more expensive.

They both had the SAME build month. They were the SAME age. But one was a grand more because it had a different number on the plastic bit on the front.

Back
Top Bottom